Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 09:17 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Mulan:

Napa:
Exactly. Sometimes I wonder what Ken's Photobucket library looks like - then I wake up from the bad dream in a cold sweat........
Old 01-07-2015, 09:41 PM
youcancallmeray
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rlhtroy@aol.com
Hey Guys, when I took delivery of my 2015 Corvette at the museum I specifically ask my guide on the plant tour if their was a difference between the leather of the LT2 option and the LT3 option. His answer was ... NO. I had chosen the LT2 on advice of my salesman. It made me feel better. I hope his response was accurate.
Just told you that to make you feel better about your choice.

If there was no difference then 3LT purchasers would be the victim of unabashed fraud and there already would have been a class action lawsuit against Chevrolet.
The following users liked this post:
GRKLGHTNG (07-19-2019)
Old 01-07-2015, 09:51 PM
aforand
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2LT Kalahari interior. I went to the dealer a while back just to look around and he must of had 15 cars on the showroom floor. I opened almost all of them and while this is unscientific I could smell the difference from the 3 LT to the 2 LT. It (3LT) just smelled more like "real" compared to either my car or any other 2 LT's on the floor.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:52 PM
MN-VERT-VET
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
It's like the old Chysler commerical for "Corinthian" leather. Mulan is Corinthian type leather.

Actually I do believe the Mulan leather is what is called semi-aniline leather.

Eagle Ottawa is located in Wisconsin and is the largest seller of premium leather products to the automotive industry.

Check them out.....

http://www.eagleottawa.com/
Sorry to go off topic, but I believe your avatar is Brandi Love, not that I've looked at Internet ****
Old 01-07-2015, 10:02 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJoe
I have a 3LT Kalahari and I can for sure say that the dash and doors are different looking than any of the 2LTs I've seen. Much smoother leather surface, almost no texture as opposed to the heavy texture on the 2LTs. Seats have the same lack of texture so either they went out of their way to match the look on all surfaces or it is the same "Nappa" leather throughout.
Awhile back someone posted a close up picture of the 2LT vs 3LT leather, unfortunately I can't find the photo but as Big Joe mentions above, the texture of the 3LT leather is much nicer than the 1 or 2LT. The only reason I didn't go with a 3LT trim package is I didn't like the look of the red interior extending onto the dash.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:22 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Default Faux leather

Napa leather is real leather. The other can be leather style, leather like, imitation leather, composition leather. In other words a man made product that looks like leather. It's plastic that's chemically treated to look like leather. The coating could even flake off over time just like it's doing big time on my so called "leather" love seat.

C6's had issues with the bolster wear from getting in and out. So the suggested fix was to enter the seat like a girl. Sit down without touching the bolster and swing your legs in.

If you got one that shows noticeable wear such as flaking on the bolster, get that seat cover replaced under warranty while U got a warranty. After that, get a leather spray kit off ebay. Restore what U thought was a leather jacket or leather boots as needed once you get the kit. Either that or pay the premium price when U get a new product. Even then, sections could still be Faux... a.k.a. p leather, leatherette, Vegan leather.

Depending on the quality, real leather can feel coarse or smooth, or anywhere in between. Faux leather has about one third of the life span of real leather. It cracks and splits much easier than real leather. If it doesn't pass the leather smell test it isn't leather.

Last edited by cor28vettes; 01-08-2015 at 01:46 AM. Reason: underline is not me doing it
Old 01-07-2015, 10:24 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

In the 3lt all of the leather is Napa leather. Doors, dash, etc. there is a big difference in the look and feel of the leather compared to the Mulan leather. Much softer and smoother.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:49 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Rave
Awhile back someone posted a close up picture of the 2LT vs 3LT leather, unfortunately I can't find the photo but as Big Joe mentions above, the texture of the 3LT leather is much nicer than the 1 or 2LT. The only reason I didn't go with a 3LT trim package is I didn't like the look of the red interior extending onto the dash.
Found it:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...interiors.html
Old 01-07-2015, 11:34 PM
Keith N
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 2LT interior (dash and doors) are not supposed to be leather just the seats. So, of course the texture will be different and a higher grade vinyl material.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:33 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Keith N
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 2LT interior (dash and doors) are not supposed to be leather just the seats. So, of course the texture will be different and a higher grade vinyl material.

Even 1LT Standard Equipment claims leather seats in the 2014 brochure..."GT bucket seats with Moulan leather seating surfaces and 8-way power adjusters" [Emphasis is mine]

The 2014 cockpit description includes the wording... "Every inch is imbued with a deep respect for authentic materials...Available hand selected leather."

For the Grand Touring Seats... "Premium natural-grain Napa leather is included with 3LT"

The brochure makes no genuine-real-leather claims on the 3LT dash or door.

Last edited by cor28vettes; 01-08-2015 at 01:43 AM. Reason: underline is not my doing
Old 01-08-2015, 12:50 AM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Those photos compare the 2LT & 3LT dash. Of course those are obviously different, the 3LT dash is leather, the 2LT is not. As far as the 3LT dash, my question was, is it Napa or Mulan. The brochure only claims the 3LT seat inserts are Napa; for the dash/doors/console, they just claim "leather."

I noted that I could not see or feel any difference between a black 2LT seat and a black 3LT seat. I went back and forth between them in the showroom. Hence my question: is the whole 3LT seat Napa or just the insert? If the 3LT side/thigh bolsters are Mulan, that would explain the similarity to the 2LT seat.

The seats also seem similar or the same as the black leather seats in my 2010 CTS. The 2LT dash is the same material as the dash in the top of the line "Premium" 2010 CTS. I believe the 2LT dash is called Naugahyde.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:03 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Originally Posted by BIC
Hence my question: is the whole 3LT seat Napa or just the insert?
Brochure reads "Napa leather seat inserts"
Old 01-08-2015, 06:25 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

I have the 3LT in black in my 15, the leather is the same on my bolsters, headrest, seat inserts, dash, door panels, center console, and steering wheel. If I wasn't at work I would take some pictures and post them up so you can see that there is no difference in the leather surfaces. I know people have stated that you can't tell the difference between 3LT and 2LT in black, maybe from a distance, but up close it's unmistakable...plus the smell is 100% leather. I get off in an hour and a half so when i get out to the car in the parking lot I'll take some close ups if I remember.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:00 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

It is totally subjective. To some not much difference between the 2 leathers. Others feel different. I'd pay $1500 more for Napa but not $3000.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:58 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Good thing we have a choice. GM could have gone the easy route and made one trim line with Napa standard at the higher price.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:21 AM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks BigJoe, that's it. I opt'ed for the 2LT red interior, although I really liked the look of the 3LT leather. Unfortunately I don't think there was a way I could have gotten the red 3LT trim package and kept the dash black, even via special order. The 3LT red interior was just too much red for me. Perhaps GM will come out with a 2.5LT trim package someday, but I won't hold my breath.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:24 PM
vettman96
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Mulan:

Napa:
Well, that clears it up completely.

Get notified of new replies

To Mulan vs Napa Leather

Old 01-08-2015, 12:25 PM
youcancallmeray
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks BigJoe, that's it. I opt'ed for the 2LT red interior, although I really liked the look of the 3LT leather. Unfortunately I don't think there was a way I could have gotten the red 3LT trim package and kept the dash black, even via special order. The 3LT red interior was just too much red for me. Perhaps GM will come out with a 2.5LT trim package someday, but I won't hold my breath.
The main reason I chose the 3LT was to get the red on the dash. Glad I did because there is a significant difference in material quality.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:06 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by youcancallmeray
The main reason I chose the 3LT was to get the red on the dash. Glad I did because there is a significant difference in material quality.
There sure is, and bugged me a bit to go with the 2LT package. But what caused me to make my 2LT decision was watching youtube video's of the red 3LT package C7's reflecting sunlight from the dash up onto the windshield (at certain sun angles). Also I'm a pilot and like black dashboards for the same reason. Although this just my 2 cents. I'm sure this is a non-issue for others.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:43 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,014 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
I have the 3LT in black in my 15, the leather is the same on my bolsters, headrest, seat inserts, dash, door panels, center console, and steering wheel. If I wasn't at work I would take some pictures and post them up so you can see that there is no difference in the leather surfaces. I know people have stated that you can't tell the difference between 3LT and 2LT in black, maybe from a distance, but up close it's unmistakable...plus the smell is 100% leather. I get off in an hour and a half so when i get out to the car in the parking lot I'll take some close ups if I remember.
I have 3LT option and am very happy with it. For me, it was a "nust have" option.

When I installed the MGW shifter, I pulled the trim off the console next to the driver's leg. I looked at the back of the leather trim and it definitely looked like solid leather. So, its my understanding the seats, door trim, console trim, and dash are real full grain leather.

Lots of different types of leather out there....One being split cowhide where they take the hide and splits it into two skins and uses a press to put the grain on it. The C5 and C6 seats are this. Just in the middle. The 3LT's I've seen has very little grain texture. I believe when you are buying 3LT, you are paying for high quality, full grain leather not processed pressed on leather texture.

All the leather seats today have a urethane coating to greatly improve wear and stain resistance. Therefore, all you need to do to clean the surface is use a damp cloth. I use a little leather treatment or Pledge just to have some additional protection on the urethane coating. With Kalahari, never wear denim pants to keep dye from staining it.

Quick Reply: Mulan vs Napa Leather