Sponsored by:

Corvette Club in N.VA?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 08:14 AM
MarCorpsMustang
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Corvette Club in N.VA?

Hi, Folks: I live in the very western part of Loudoun County, VA (Purcellville), right up agains the state line with WV). Can anyone recommend a Corvette Club out this way. I don't want to be limited to the eastern Fairfax driving scene. I'd like to get out into some Blue Ridge and Shenandoah Valley rallies, Summit Point driving events, and the like. I welcome any suggestions (both do's and don'ts)
Old 01-02-2015, 09:18 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Let me know what you find. A lot of clubs like to sit around and chat instead of driving.

I'm sure I can gather a few local Corvette enthusiast that would rather cruise than talk! Maybe we should all just get together some time and go through the mountains.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:07 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
Let me know what you find. A lot of clubs like to sit around and chat instead of driving.

I'm sure I can gather a few local Corvette enthusiast that would rather cruise than talk! Maybe we should all just get together some time and go through the mountains.
These guys used to run very good events at Summit and sponsored one last year, but I have the impression their motorsports activities in recent years have waned:

http://www.nvcorvetteclub.com/

Tell us what you find if you pursue this.

Jim
Old 01-02-2015, 10:09 AM
MarCorpsMustang
Instructor

First club I was in was great. We DROVE the cars, attended rallies, competed against other car clubs (Porsche, BMW, etc), and had fun.

The second club was not good at all. In my membership request I had to provide justification (a lot) of why I should be permitted entry, had to provide proof of community service (22 years in the Marine Corps wasn't good enough), make a presentation to the admittance panel to substantiate my worthiness to join, etc. I felt like I was getting ready to testify before Congress.

So I'm looking for a local club that is more like the first one and not at all like the second one.

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2015, 10:10 AM
MarCorpsMustang
Instructor

Originally Posted by JiminVirginia
These guys used to run very good events at Summit and sponsored one last year, but I have the impression their motorsports activities in recent years have waned:

http://www.nvcorvetteclub.com/

Tell us what you find if you pursue this.

Jim
Ha ha ha. That's Club #2 in the post above. Maybe things have changed. I know there are a lot of litigation concerns regarding road/track events these days.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:14 PM
TBRDS
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 76 Posts

A little triva: Northern Virgina Corvette Club began when I met a Vette owner named Ron DeBella hanging out at Hot Shoppes (drive-in) in Alexandria, VA. He said he wanted to start a club, and I was member #2. I think he was stationed at Fort Belvoir at the time, with a green vert. I had a gold '69 coupe, after trading in a VW bug. Back then we took all Vette owners!
Old 01-02-2015, 12:22 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MarCorpsMustang
Ha ha ha. That's Club #2 in the post above. Maybe things have changed. I know there are a lot of litigation concerns regarding road/track events these days.

Sounds like a cult. I've meet a few from NVCC and they are nice people.

Just find a few friends local and go driving, there's track days you can go to without being in a club. No need to pay dues and follow their rules, mandatory club meetings etc.. that is unless you just want the "status" of being in a club.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:57 PM
MarCorpsMustang
Instructor

Sounds like a cult. I've meet a few from NVCC and they are nice people.

Just find a few friends local and go driving, there's track days you can go to without being in a club. No need to pay dues and follow their rules, mandatory club meetings etc.. that is unless you just want the "status" of being in a club.
Definitely don't need or even want the status thing. The club provided the ability to organize events like rallies, autocross, and such (Summit Point!). Club discounts and Tech Talks were nice, but forums like this have replaced the organized tech meeting we used to have back in the 80s and 90s.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:16 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd be interested in some NoVa driving events as well.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:43 PM
skipper972
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a NVCC member and find everyone to be pretty down to earth. Some track, some don't, most participate in the events that suit their desires and schedules.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:34 PM
irpete
Instructor

I'd be interested in a meet up every so often. Not sure I'm ready to commit to a club though. I'm in Loudoun (Aldie).
Old 01-02-2015, 09:36 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by irpete
I'd be interested in a meet up every so often. Not sure I'm ready to commit to a club though. I'm in Loudoun (Aldie).
There, we've got 4 C7 owners on board, WKMCD I'm sure is down too. LOL
Old 01-02-2015, 10:56 PM
Punkin
Burning Brakes

Hi, Folks: I live in the very western part of Loudoun County, VA (Purcellville), right up agains the state line with WV). Can anyone recommend a Corvette Club out this way. I don't want to be limited to the eastern Fairfax driving scene. I'd like to get out into some Blue Ridge and Shenandoah Valley rallies, Summit Point driving events, and the like. I welcome any suggestions (both do's and don'ts)
You may want to check out "The Blue Ridge Corvette Club" Thet are located in the Staunton, Waynesboro area. A good bunch of people and some track their cars at VIR. Check out their website.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:35 AM
MarCorpsMustang
Instructor

Originally Posted by Punkin
You may want to check out "The Blue Ridge Corvette Club" Thet are located in the Staunton, Waynesboro area. A good bunch of people and some track their cars at VIR. Check out their website.
Will give them a look; thanks.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:49 AM
Bob-G
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts

First club I was in was great. We DROVE the cars, attended rallies, competed against other car clubs (Porsche, BMW, etc), and had fun.

The second club was not good at all. In my membership request I had to provide justification (a lot) of why I should be permitted entry, had to provide proof of community service (22 years in the Marine Corps wasn't good enough), make a presentation to the admittance panel to substantiate my worthiness to join, etc. I felt like I was getting ready to testify before Congress.

So I'm looking for a local club that is more like the first one and not at all like the second one.

Thanks!
I would have walked away from the "second club" in a heartbeat once I heard about all of that justification as to why one should be "allowed" a membership, that's "BS". "Clubs" are supposed to be fun and not a bunch of work just to say you are "in one". Sounds like there are enough folks on here to start some "gatherings" for non club members. I am from NOVA and am hoping to join up with you guys in the next couple of months.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:50 AM
savage
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by irpete
im in the NCCC, but not a local club, im a ( member at large,) the NCCC convention is at pocono( high and low speed events) this year so for $35.00 a year im in. even the years when the convention is to far to go 35 dollars a year is not much. there was a time when you had to be a member with a corvette to run the small local stuff, now that is only true to run big events or for points= autocross, ect.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:57 AM
Bandit1
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Club in N.VA?

Quick Reply: Corvette Club in N.VA?