Sponsored by:

Navigation Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 02:00 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,940 Likes on 1,310 Posts

Default Navigation Question

Let's say you're traveling on I-XXX using the navigation system as you go from Oklahoma City to Pensacola, Florida, and suddenly traffic stops and you sit... and move forward a car length at a time... and you've been "trapped" for almost an hour now... and you want to take a detour.

Is there a detour function in the Navigation unit? I have been unable to locate one - surely they did not forget the function - or perhaps they're calling it something else...

Any help appreciated....
Old 12-28-2014, 12:25 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 601 Likes on 317 Posts

I don't know about the stock nav system but I use an app on my I-phone called Waze. It will not only give you alternate routes but will warn you ahead of time about traffic jams and hazards.

I use it in conjunction with the factory nav.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:27 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

If you have an active OnStar account, you'll automatically be notified of such things. (trying to remember if you need to enable it in the menu or not however).

My NAV does it all the time but only if you actually have a route set. (2014 Z51, VIN 11822)
Old 12-28-2014, 12:59 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

If your weather/traffic feature is still working or your re-subscribed then yes. But there IS a but. It has to have a destination that you're following entered. Otherwise there is no way for it to know how to re-route you from where you're at.
Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
Let's say you're traveling on I-XXX using the navigation system as you go from Oklahoma City to Pensacola, Florida, and suddenly traffic stops and you sit... and move forward a car length at a time... and you've been "trapped" for almost an hour now... and you want to take a detour.

Is there a detour function in the Navigation unit? I have been unable to locate one - surely they did not forget the function - or perhaps they're calling it something else...

Any help appreciated....
Old 12-28-2014, 01:51 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

All navigation systems need to know both where it is and where you want to go. My C7 system has traffic awareness and will navigate around problem areas if ask to do so. I have never actually used this function. Being stuck in traffic and asking for an alternate route (good question); would check route guidance preferences, adjust accordingly, set destination and hit go. Check route, should be interesting.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:16 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

I do know how GPS units work. I have them in both my telephone and in my Garmin unit - I am on my third generation of Garmin units spread over the past 10, 12 years.

What I was - am asking - forget OnStar or other peripheral programs - or telephones - - was in the standard Navigation unit of the Infotainment System on a C7, when referring solely to the Navigation System, is there a DETOUR function that I can access - or - has GM in it's infinite wisdom _renamed_ (nomenclature) the "detour" function....

I really did not expect the question posed to present such a befuddlement to readers of the CF C7 section. I asked the question in the manner of - I am traveling from Oklahoma City to Pensacola and... ergo one can logically assume that I have a destination programed into the system in that I stated - in this case: Pensacola, Florida...

Therefore, still, seeking an answer.... to what I thought would be a simple question...

Let the flames begin - but would rather have an answer -
Old 12-28-2014, 02:19 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

What I was - am asking - forget OnStar or other peripheral programs - or telephones - - was in the standard Navigation unit of the Infotainment System on a C7, when referring solely to the Navigation System, is there a DETOUR function that I can access - or - has GM in it's infinite wisdom _renamed_ (nomenclature) the "detour" function....
Cliff notes: NO, not without an OnStar subscription

(when you think about it, how can you get detour info without real time traffic info and where would that come from?)
Old 12-28-2014, 03:09 PM
Klyde
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is an answer!

I thought the weather and traffic data came from XM radio. With XM active and while in 3D mode the sky shows oncoming weather and I thought warnings were displayed about approaching traffic jams. I believe my car ask me if I would like an alternative route whenever heavy traffic was ahead. This is activated by settings under the "Traffic" menu. You can have it automatically avoid traffic or have it ask you first. You will have to hit the "Avoid" button for a new course. Page 32 of the infotainment book (2014) describes both the XM radio link and and the traffic avoidance selections. You can also choose which kind of traffic to display/avoid. I find it to be very accurate during most of my trips and it has come up with some wild redirects to get me around stopped traffic.

Last edited by Klyde; 12-28-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:23 PM
Bowmanr1
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I am in these situations I normally take the next exit and find another route that is headed in the general direction I need to go. Once I am a few miles into my alternate route I will ask the navigation to get me to my destination.

Sometimes I wonder how people today would survive without navigation and GPS. I remember when we had to unfold a map or open an atlas to find a route from point A to point B.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:28 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowmanr1
When I am in these situations I normally take the next exit and find another route that is headed in the general direction I need to go. Once I am a few miles into my alternate route I will ask the navigation to get me to my destination.

Sometimes I wonder how people today would survive without navigation and GPS. I remember when we had to unfold a map or open an atlas to find a route from point A to point B.
Wow! Did you have to stop at a stable to feed your horse, too?
Old 12-28-2014, 05:38 PM
Bowmanr1
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Haven't had to stop and feed my horse in a while but I do have to feed an Internet jackass every now and again.......
Old 12-28-2014, 05:45 PM
es
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Some times using a map works WAY better than a nav system. I do alot of "let's see what's over there" driving. That sort of stuff ends up just baffling the nav system.

Also, I've never been able to get a wide range overview of a large area with a nav system. If I want to go from say, Tampa to Pahrump, the nav will give a string of instructions but won't show me all the great places there are to see along the way.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:34 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Since we're straying way off topic I might as well jump back into my own thread.

I'm one of the lucky guys I've had a Corvette in 45 of the lower 48 states - began driving the highways of America when the Interstates were new - drove US 66 many times - once, back in '62, in a C1, from Oxnard, California, to Dallas - long before I-40 became one of the major East/West corridors....

Have more than 600,000 miles in Corvettes over the past 26 years, and many times that number of miles in the other cars I have driven across and around these United States over the past 57 years of driving America's highways - "blue" and otherwise...

Drove with maps, drove without maps.... GPS systems make strange cities easily navigable....

I simply asked the question whether anyone on the forum had encountered a _Detour_ option on the Navigation System... had zero idea it was going to be so difficult to get a straight answer.

The obvious answer (now) is you guys don't know either...
Old 12-28-2014, 07:43 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

I know.

Mine will inform of traffic, and or construction, in the general direction you are heading, regardless of whether you have a route selected, or even if the nav is "turned on". It shows up as an alert at the bottom of the screen, which you can dismiss or view. It's not 100% accurate, though; I have been caught in traffic that it didn't warn me about.

When the nav screen is on, it will also show general traffic alerts in the area on the map. You do need to enable this in settings, though.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:12 PM
Bowmanr1
Heel & Toe

Since we're straying way off topic I might as well jump back into my own thread.

I'm one of the lucky guys I've had a Corvette in 45 of the lower 48 states - began driving the highways of America when the Interstates were new - drove US 66 many times - once, back in '62, in a C1, from Oxnard, California, to Dallas - long before I-40 became one of the major East/West corridors....

Have more than 600,000 miles in Corvettes over the past 26 years, and many times that number of miles in the other cars I have driven across and around these United States over the past 57 years of driving America's highways - "blue" and otherwise...

Drove with maps, drove without maps.... GPS systems make strange cities easily navigable....

I simply asked the question whether anyone on the forum had encountered a _Detour_ option on the Navigation System... had zero idea it was going to be so difficult to get a straight answer.

The obvious answer (now) is you guys don't know either...
I don't think it is difficult to get an answer, it appeared from your post that you were stuck in traffic and wanted to find an alternate route. If that is the case then I stand by my suggestion to take the next off ramp and go a few miles out off your current route and allow the navigation system to calculate a new route, I have done this a few times and it works.

If you were asking a hypothetical question about how to reroute based on traffic conditions then there are different options. If you read the manual ( starting at page 30 in the .pdf format) there is a good bit of information about how the navigation system works. IF you have a subscription to Sirius the nav system will evaluate road conditions and route you around slow or stopped traffic. You can also set the system to avoid toll roads, highways and other situations, it appears this option is not dependent on a Sirius subscription.

The short answer is that the nav system does not have a detour button that you can press to create an alternate route. I don't know how the software guys could write code to simply detour without some input about why you want to detour and how long you need to stay off the original route.

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...vette_info.pdf

Last edited by Bowmanr1; 12-28-2014 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Adding website link
Old 12-28-2014, 10:13 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

My OnStar ended about a year ago. I can still set my routing to route me around clogged traffic if I enter a route. I also bought another year of weather/traffic.
Originally Posted by KenHorse

(when you think about it, how can you get detour info without real time traffic info and where would that come from?)
Old 12-28-2014, 10:25 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bowmanr1
I don't think it is difficult to get an answer, it appeared from your post that you were stuck in traffic and wanted to find an alternate route. If that is the case then I stand by my suggestion to take the next off ramp and go a few miles out off your current route and allow the navigation system to calculate a new route, I have done this a few times and it works.

<snip>
This is the first paragraph of my original post. It is obviously a hypothetical:

More to Bowman1: thanks for the clarification on there being no _detour_ button....

I had asked the question because all my Garmin units have a DETOUR button that I find extremely handy from time to time.... I often run the GPS on a highway trip even though I know the route like the back of my hand. I do so if - for instance - I run into something that requires a detour - and requires, often - a very quick decision.

Recently I was driving my vintage car on I-35 driving toward Dallas from San Antonio.... traffic began backing up and then just stopped.... after a reasonable time of "clutch and go" I asked the GPS to give me a DETOUR route... it routed me off at the next exit, took me through the countryside to pick up a different highway and to take me on in home.... traffic was backed up for hours on I-35 and me? I was ... gone...

Which: since I now drive the C7 on long trips more than I drive the old car, prompted me to ask if there was a readily available DETOUR button on the stock Navigation Unit for the Stingray.... I'll just toss my Garmin unit into the glove box to use should the need arise.....

But, I will make inquiry to Chevy's MyLink to see if there's a workaround...

Last edited by 4thC4at60; 12-28-2014 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Clarification/expansion of post...

Get notified of new replies

To Navigation Question

Old 12-29-2014, 07:36 AM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse

There's usually more than 1 way to get from point a to point b right?
Old 12-29-2014, 08:09 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Old rte. 66 goes to Dallas?
Old 12-29-2014, 09:32 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ben dover
Old rte. 66 goes to Dallas?
No, I cut southeast at Amarillo.....

Quick Reply: Navigation Question