C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more hopping,sliding,rubbing,grinding when I turn my wheels and tires on my Z51 C7

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 05:46 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,144 Likes on 1,747 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Default No more hopping,sliding,rubbing,grinding when I turn my wheels and tires on my Z51 C7

I do not mind the ride of my Z51 2014 vert but could not stand the binding,grinding,rubbing,hopping, and jumping when I turn the
wheel sharply or go in a circle or annoying road noise when the weather is cold.I was not going to purchase the Z51 vette but the dealer I purchased the car told me that If I go with Michelin pilot A/S 3 all season aggresive tires instead of the O.E.M factory performance tires that problem will be solved.Well I got my car yesterday with the new tires on the stock black Z51 rims that came with the car 19's in the front and 20's out back.THE CAR DOES NOT MAKE A PEEP NOW WHEN TURNIG AND ALL THE BAD STUFF I MENTIONED IS GONE AND ALSO GIVES A MUCH SMOOTHER RIDE! If you guys track your cars or are very aggressive drivers then stick with the factory stock performance Michelin pilot tires but if not go with the Michelin pilot A/S 3 all season tires you will not be sorry what a difference!I will not be taking my car to the track so these A/S 3 tires actually got me to purchase my 2014 Z51,3LT,Npp,mag ride vert. I was following several threads on this issue and I know it says it is normal in the owners manual but unacceptable for my driving and enjoyment of my C7. Saw online from a very famous tire company that the O.E.M. tires are $1494.00 for set of four and the the Michelin pilot A/S 3 all season tires are $1070.00 for a set of four just in case anyone is interested in comparing the price of replacement.

Last edited by Always Red Dave; 12-27-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:58 PM
indy 28
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

IMHO, the Michelin Pilot A/S 3's are the superior street tire. Less road noise, no tire hop, less unsprung weight, less flying debris to damage your rocker panels, better tread wear, better gas mileage, drivability in all temps and road conditions. The only negatives are they are not run flats and less traction. Carry a 12V compressor and a plug kit. Keep the Super Sports if you track your car.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:09 PM
Gr8ful
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am very happy I swapped out my RFs for the A/S 3. Much nicer ride and half the road noise. Cost about $100 after selling my OEMs.
Unless you do serious autocross the tire has enough grip. IMO
Old 12-27-2014, 06:24 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
I do not mind the ride of my Z51 2014 vert but could not stand the binding,grinding,rubbing,hopping, and jumping when I turn the
wheel sharply or go in a circle or annoying road noise when the weather is cold.I was not going to purchase the Z51 vette but the dealer I purchased the car told me that If I go with Michelin pilot A/S 3 all season aggresive tires instead of the O.E.M factory performance tires that problem will be solved.Well I got my car yesterday with the new tires on the stock black Z51 rims that came with the car 19's in the front and 20's out back.THE CAR DOES NOT MAKE A PEEP NOW WHEN TURNIG AND ALL THE BAD STUFF I MENTIONED IS GONE AND ALSO GIVES A MUCH SMOOTHER RIDE! If you guys track your cars or are very aggressive drivers then stick with the factory stock performance Michelin pilot tires but if not go with the Michelin pilot A/S 3 all season tires you will not be sorry what a difference!I will not be taking my car to the track so these A/S 3 tires actually got me to purchase my 2014 Z51,3LT,Npp,mag ride vert. I was following several threads on this issue and I know it says it is normal in the owners manual but unacceptable for my driving and enjoyment of my C7. Saw online from a very famous tire company that the O.E.M. tires are $1494.00 for set of four and the the Michelin pilot A/S 3 all season tires are $1070.00 for a set of four just in case anyone is interested in comparing the price of replacement.
They are a total of 8 pounds lighter, have a deeper tread depth and have a treadwear rating of 500 vs 300 for the OEM tires which may mean that if driven normally, the may last a bit longer.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:27 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,671 Likes on 6,661 Posts

Guess if I still lived up North (been in SC since we moved from CT in 1985) I would get all-season tires but NOT for chatter!
When it gets to 40 to 45 F I get chatter if I forget and turn to sharply when the tires are cold! I normally make a “K” turn instead when backing out of the garage on a cold morning! The C7 has a tighter turning radius than my C6 so if turning full lock it would be worse. In fact there are a lot of 4 wheel drive pick-ups down here with a minimum turning circle ~25% more than the Vette and they alwys have to make "K" turns when pulling out of a parking slot! Not much of a workaround for the super handling I bought my Z51 to perform (when warm!)

Last edited by JerryU; 12-27-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:06 PM
GazUK
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed my OEM runflats to Michelin Pilot A/S 3's at about 500 miles, I could not stand the hard ride and noise they made. 100% happy with the purchase, made the world of difference to how the car rides as a daily driver. I too carry a 12v compressor, plug kit and fix a flat. Not had to use it yet thankfully.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:13 PM
btorlv
Pro

Received 183 Likes on 93 Posts

Would someone post a pic of the tire on the car thanks.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:16 PM
magredrod
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Put the A/S 3s on for the winter, completely satisfied with ride and traction in the cooler temps. Will swap back to the OE tires for summer season.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:11 PM
rpoz06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

This is the tire I bought to mount on my HRE wheels - LOVE THEM!
Old 12-27-2014, 08:20 PM
tanner m
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to have to check these out. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-27-2014, 08:23 PM
66dreams
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 12-27-2014, 08:40 PM
A Solid Rock
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, all this sounds good but what is the plan when one or more tires go flat?

Do you have the jacking pucks?

Are you going to leave the car on the side of the road until a tow truck comes to get you?

Is it difficult to jack up the car when a tire is flat in the middle of the road?

Do you have a spare mounted and balanced in the garage as a replacement when this happens?

I'm not trying to bash this idea of a better tire, just trying to see if it makes sense against the potential dangers.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:50 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,153 Posts

[QUOTE=A Solid Rock;1588579715]Ok, all this sounds good but what is the plan when one or more tires go flat?

Are you going to leave the car on the side of the road until a tow truck comes to get you?

Is it difficult to jack up the car when a tire is flat in the middle of the road?

Do you have a spare mounted and balanced in the garage as a replacement when this happens?

I'm not trying to bash this idea of a better tire, just trying to see if it makes sense against the potential dangers.

I got a flat tire kit for my regular tires. I have a hockey puck instead of bought jacking pucks. I have a low profile screw type jack. I have a plug kit and a compressor. Considered some fix a flat in an extreme emergency but since I have been running non run flat tires for 15 years w/o an issue or flat......frankly I'm not that worried.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:41 PM
CVG993
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Greg00Coupe;1588579783]
Originally Posted by A Solid Rock

I got a flat tire kit for my regular tires. I have a hockey puck instead of bought jacking pucks. I have a low profile screw type jack. I have a plug kit and a compressor. Considered some fix a flat in an extreme emergency but since I have been running non run flat tires for 15 years w/o an issue or flat......frankly I'm not that worried.
Were my initial concerns, but I also have never had an issue in 30 yrs of driving. I am considering ordering a set of the A/3's, low profile screw jack.

Last edited by CVG993; 12-27-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:47 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

[QUOTE=Greg00Coupe;1588579783]

In general I agree with your approach. Unless you have a monster hole in the tire in which case a plug kit won’t do it, just use a large can of Slime tire sealant. Should handle most of the issues and is what I have in my other car which came w/o a spare. Don
Old 12-27-2014, 10:45 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,144 Likes on 1,747 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

For me I have had corvettes since 1993 have never had a flat not to say that it can not happen at any time but I will be sure to have some fix a flat in the trunk. It also helps that my brother in law has his own towing business in the same town I live in and mostly drive in so I will take my chances.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:14 PM
dexterkatt
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Where do you find a low profile screw jack?

Get notified of new replies

To No more hopping,sliding,rubbing,grinding when I turn my wheels and tires on my Z51 C7

Old 12-27-2014, 11:42 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,525 Likes on 14,090 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Pretty reasonable price for those Michelin tires and good deal that they cured the tire chatter.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:40 AM
Stangslayer
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by magredrod
Put the A/S 3s on for the winter, completely satisfied with ride and traction in the cooler temps. Will swap back to the OE tires for summer season.

I put a set of the A/S 3's on my C7 over a year ago! Never changed back to the OEM tires, just got my 15,000 service and never had a problem with the All Season tires. Oh, the A/S 3's performed fine at New England Speedway last fall!
Old 12-28-2014, 09:15 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,671 Likes on 6,661 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Pretty reasonable price for those Michelin tires and good deal that they cured the tire chatter.
There is a reason going to all-season or winter tires “will cure the chatter issue” but you are also giving up performance! The reason the all-season tires don’t chatter is because their slip angle is higher, unlike the more race oriented OEM tires, especially on the Z51. With all-season tires, the construction is more like a conventional tire and when you turn the wheel the tire surface and tread area squirms before the car turns, preventing “chatter.” When cold, the inside OEM tire (especially the Z51) in a slow speed, very sharp turn, slides rather than "squirms" causing “chatter.” The Ackerman angles have not changed but you don’t need "as much Ackerman” when the tires surface twists in a sharp slow speed turn. However the tire surface twisting or squirming is also occurring when you make a sharp turn at speed. The turn-in reaction is slowed. The high performance OEM tires turns rather than squirms!
Not faulting the decision to use all-season or winter tires when it’s cold, they may be needed to handle the weather depending on the climate. However, depending on what the Vette was purchased to do, performance is not all it can be. There are different reasons for buying a Vette, but the Z51 particularly was designed for max performance and the tires are a part of that design. For what it’s worth.

OEM Tires, Especially on the Z51, Have Low Slip Angle for Optimum Performance

Last edited by JerryU; 12-28-2014 at 11:27 AM.

Quick Reply: No more hopping,sliding,rubbing,grinding when I turn my wheels and tires on my Z51 C7