Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 11:17 PM
OVERULD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Default Ordered My First-Ever Corvette

I have admired the Corvette since I was old enough to drive. I hoped to own one someday but took a few detours along the way. My first car was a 71 Pontiac LeMans. I wanted the GTO on the lot right next to it but my Dad would not hear it. I spent a lot of years in the Pontiac camp and still love the GTOs, and the G8s. Have owned several and my wife still drives an 08 G8 GT in Ignition Orange Metallic that I ordered the Monday after the Super Bowl commercial announcing them aired. Like most of you, I'm a car enthusiast and generally grow very loyal to a brand. After GM killed Pontiac, I started dreaming about Corvettes again.

I had been shopping for an 04 Z16 Z06 for several years, looking for a good original owner example with low miles at the right price. Then I saw the 2014 C7 and the Z16 Z06 quickly faded into the rear view mirror. I followed the introduction and many deliveries and posts about them here, but wanted to wait for the 2015 models to come out before ordering.

On December 18th, I placed a deposit with Mike Furman at Criswell for my very first Corvette! I've found Mike Furman to be very helpful and really appreciate the knowledge he has gained from his 37 years of experience selling the Corvette.

I ordered a Laguna Blue Z51 3LT Convertible, with black top, Brownstone interior with the sueded microfiber inserts and uppers, Competition seats with sueded microfiber steering wheel, shifter and shifter boot, Magnetic Selective Ride, 7-Speed manual, Carbon Fiber Dash, Carbon Fiber Tonneau Inserts, Carbon Flash painted mirrors and spoiler, Chrome Wheels, Red Calipers, Premium Carpeted Floor Mats, Rear Fascia Protector, NAV/PDR and NPP which come with the 3LT, Indoor Cover - Red, Outdoor Cover - Black, and R8C Museum Delivery.

I also plan to order the Photo Album through the NCM. I think it will be sometime in March or April before I take delivery of it, so the long wait begins.

I plan to do Xpel clear bra once I get it back to Georgia, and will probably add a carbon flash splitter and side skirts for extra protection against rock chips from the soft tires. I'm struggling with the decision to drive it back from the Museum without some sort of protection against rock chips, etc. I've thought about doing the Museum Delivery, factory tour, etc, and getting the usual photos in front of the plant and museum, but then just having PlyCar pick it up and deliver it to my home. I'm not thrilled with the idea of trying to do the initial break-in on a long road trip home, but know others have done that and experienced no problems. We may just do a long back roads two-day trip back home with it.

I'd appreciate hearing some experiences from others who've done the Museum Delivery and any other tips for a very anxious and excited first-time Corvette owner.

BJ

Last edited by OVERULD; 12-28-2014 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Spelling Correction
Old 12-26-2014, 11:36 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Congrats on your order! You're really going to enjoy the Z51 and the Mag Ride combination. And you are correct about the soft tires kicking up debris, they will. I had XPEL Ultimate applied to my entire car, even underneath areas that are not normally covered (PM me for details).

I took the NCM Museum Tour in September but opt'ed to pick up my C7 from a dealer. As for your ride home from the factory, a bra or mask will provide frontal protection to get you home. When it comes to rock strikes, I prefer using a vinyl bra to a mask.

And a couple of things to check before you depart the factory. Some new C7's leave the factory with their Nav system not working, and also there might be an emergency brake recall issued for your VIN. Assuming your particular VIN has one or both these issues they can be taken care of at the factory (if you ask). Be sure to check!
Old 12-27-2014, 12:51 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Big congrats to you - you're going to love your car! It's got to be one of the most loaded Stingrays on this forum. Out of curiosity, did you consider the Carbon Flash badging and / or hood stinger? They both work very well with Laguna Blue.

Kudos to you for ordering from Mike Furman. He is absolutely the best in the business.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:59 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 756 Posts

Congrats on your purchase of Americas Sports Car. You will love that Laguna Blue, it really POPS in the sun and your car will not blend in with the others. Probably the best blue ever on the corvette.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:25 AM
got2bblu
Drifting

Received 240 Likes on 96 Posts

Congratulations. It will be a long wait for you. I agree with mpuzach - get the carbon flash badge package.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:44 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Congratulations on your new Vette. You will enjoy owning it.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:48 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Congrats
Old 12-27-2014, 11:45 AM
OVERULD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Big congrats to you - you're going to love your car! It's got to be one of the most loaded Stingrays on this forum. Out of curiosity, did you consider the Carbon Flash badging and / or hood stinger? They both work very well with Laguna Blue.

Kudos to you for ordering from Mike Furman. He is absolutely the best in the business.

Originally Posted by got2bblu
Congratulations. It will be a long wait for you. I agree with mpuzach - get the carbon flash badge package.
Thanks for all the comments. As for the carbon flash badge package and hood stinger, I have actually been on the fence about adding both. My wife and I walked the lot at Hendrick in Duluth to look at wheels and badges. I like the way they look and agree that they work well with Laguna Blue. With the chrome wheels I figured that the badging should tie in with them so I stayed with the standard chrome badging on the order. I've debated the Machine Face Black wheels as well, but don't want to keep second-guessing my original order list, so I'll continue to think about it before the deadline for changes comes.

We are really looking forward to enjoying this car and sharing the experience with you folks on the board.

BJ
Old 12-27-2014, 01:16 PM
OVERULD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16

I actually just got off the phone with Mike. He sent me an email this morning with a copy of my order, asking me to confirm it. I'm at the initial order status of 1100, so it will be a long wait to get to order status 4200, but that will be half the fun of the whole "First Corvette" process. Mike told me that he is confident that the order will get picked up on one of his weekly allocations in January, and the timing will be good for museum delivery after Winter has done its thing down south.

I chose to stick with the chrome badging to tie in with the wheels, and will decide about the carbon flash stinger stripe after I take delivery of the car. If I decide I have to have it, I can order it and add it later. One option I forgot to mention in my original post is the battery protection package. So, yeah, it is a pretty loaded Z51 Vert. Can't wait to see in on Corvette Blvd at the Museum!

BJ
Old 12-27-2014, 02:05 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Old 12-27-2014, 02:11 PM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

As to NCM delivery, my best advice is don't rush through any aspect of it so that you can drive the car as soon as possible. It is a unique experience and the private guide for the factory tour, museum tour and the "tour" of you new car are all things to be savored, not rushed. You may want to spend a second night in BG so you have lots of time to do everything.

Have fun--you will LOVE this car!
Old 12-27-2014, 03:14 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Congrats and GREAT color choice!!
Old 12-27-2014, 03:35 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Your car is,going to be a beauty, enjoy!
Old 12-28-2014, 12:52 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,394 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Congrats on placing your order and sounds like you will be getting a really loaded car. Hope the time passes quickly for you.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:43 AM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

Congrats
Old 12-30-2014, 09:25 PM
sdk
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

Your life is about to forever change!!
Congratulations!!
Old 12-30-2014, 09:58 PM
OVERULD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16

Thanks! I'm pretty excited. Really pulling information from this board now with a whole new perspective. This is a very rich experience that needs to be savored. You only get one "First Vette" and I'm planning to make this acquisition as memorable as possible, not only for me and my wife, but also for my sons who will have the car some day.

BJ

Get notified of new replies

To Ordered My First-Ever Corvette

Old 01-21-2015, 11:40 PM
OVERULD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16

Default Event Code 3000 Today

Well, now the waiting begins in earnest.
  • Ordered 12/18/14
  • Went to 2000 on 1/20/15
  • Went to 3000 on 1/21/15

Got an email from Mike Furman today asking me to tell him how I wanted my Museum Delivery plaque to be engraved!

I'm really getting excited now. More updates as I receive them.

BJ
Old 01-22-2015, 08:54 AM
Fear The Fork
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OVERULD
Well, now the waiting begins in earnest.
  • Ordered 12/18/14
  • Went to 2000 on 1/20/15
  • Went to 3000 on 1/21/15

Got an email from Mike Furman today asking me to tell him how I wanted my Museum Delivery plaque to be engraved!

I'm really getting excited now. More updates as I receive them.

BJ
Great choice on the color! Mine went to 3000 yesterday as well!

1LT
7 spd manual
LB
Carbon Flash badging
NPP
Black painted wheels
Body color matching Z51 spoiler

Can't wait!
Old 01-22-2015, 09:04 AM
clegg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Another big CONGRATS.
When your day comes, expect to be overwhelmed. You will be looking at what you have waited for and now know it's your own.

Quick Reply: Ordered My First-Ever Corvette