Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 09:23 PM
abrimberry
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Why does anyone pay for OnStar?
If anyone driving my car has an accident, it's nice to know emergency services will be dispatched regardless of the situation.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:31 PM
BGCZO6
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tannman
I agee about the restoration of minutes. And, I have had them transfer minutes from one vehicle to another that I owned when I sold it.
in addition the yearly subscription to On Star and your calling minutes may not expire at the same time. Your monthly diagnostics report gives the expiration for each one.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:37 PM
BGCZO6
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just checked my last diagnostics report. On Star subscription is up renewal in January and my minutes expire end of June.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:42 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default OnStar took my minutes

It's like buying a gallon of milk. You pay for it, but if you don't use it, it sours.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:44 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jluke
I am telling the entire telephone conversation. They offered to reduce my monthly subscription but I told them it's not the money but the 340 minutes.

I don't understand why you would think I would not be truthful regarding this matter.
No I didn't mean you were not being truthful I meant it as something maybe you missed and that's what you relayed in telling us. I can't believe they wouldn't credit you the minutes. I had a little glitch just two months ago on my onstar cell phone and it used 10 minutes more than it should have. So being I like to bitch I called them and said your system used 10 of my minutes in error and they said for my trouble we will give you 50 minutes back no problem. With me any time I bitch about something they give me more minutes free, just like that. I can't believe they are doing this to you.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:18 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
Me too. I have never had minutes taken from me, they always put them back. The OP is not telling everything.
Something fishy IMO. Easy to come on here and bash a company without providing the original purchase information. How do we know what the original agreement was?
Old 12-23-2014, 01:08 AM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by bbrown450
good for you broither..they did that to me with abou 100 mins. I cannot wait to see your thead on "I went to cancel my Onstar...." they take idiot t a whole new dimension...
Yes, I should have been clearer. They did transfer about 300 from my '09 Z to my '14 Vette. I really would have liked them to transfer those minutes to my '09 G8 GT and they wouldn't.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:13 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Just out of curiosity, how much are the 340 minutes worth in dollars?
Old 12-23-2014, 11:55 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Last summer, I saw (minute expiration) notice in the fine print on their web site.
but since I don't have an onstar account anymore (and never bought minutes) , I don't know the details on expiration. I did find this, though...
from
https://www2.onstar.com/web/portal/purchase-minutes?g=1

Purchase minutes

When you purchase a new prepaid minute package, your existing minutes will rollover and be added to your purchased minutes. Purchased minutes are valid until their expiration date or when your OnStar service ends, whichever date comes first. You can also rollover any active unused minutes to a new OnStar-equipped vehicle. Just push your blue button or call 1.888.4ONSTAR (1.888.466.7827) to purchase or rollover minutes.

and old posts in non on-star forums are saying minutes (generally) expire 1 year from purchase.

Last edited by aj98; 12-23-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:03 PM
USe-car
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

The subscription to OnStar and the subscription to telephone minutes through OnStar are two separate departments. If you subscribe to OnStar or renew the subscription to OnStar, ask them to transfer you to the telephone department. There, you can buy extra minutes, transfer your minutes to another car or extend your expiration date for unused minutes. The regular OnStar customer service person usually cannot do this.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:27 PM
Duntov7
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
If you call OnStar before your subscription expires, they will carry over any non used minutes to your renewal.
I've done it for 5 straight years, so I know they do it. If you don't call before it expires, even if your subscription renews automatically, you will lose the minutes from the previous year.
I know, it happened to me the first renewal, thinking they would automatically be carried over. When I called, I found out I had 0 minutes on my OnStar.
From then on, I call the 1-888 number just before it expires and before it renews. That way, I also can haggle over the renewal price at the same time

Yes, just haggle and be persistent on the phone (with that lady in the Phillipines)....worked for us on ATS.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:21 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

OnStar changed the terms for subscriptions which began after June 1, 2014. Those that began before that date include the following in regard to transfer to a new vehicle:
"TRANSFERRING SOME OF YOUR OnStar SERVICE. Unless we agree otherwise you can’t transfer most of your OnStarservice to another Car or another person. There are a few exceptions. You may be able to transfer any whole months remaining on your OnStar Plan that you have paid in advance, other than any payment that was included in the purchase or lease price of your Car, or any unused OnStar Hands-Free Calling minutes to a newly purchased or leased Car, depending on the maker of the car. You’ll have to request the transfer prior to cancelling your service, and must meet all OnStar requirements for service with the new Car."

It also states:
"Unless prohibited by law, minutes for OnStar Hands-Free Calling are non-refundable and are good until your package expires or until your OnStar Plan is terminated or cancelled, whichever comes first. If you cancel your OnStar Plan, you will lose any unused OnStar Hands-Free Calling minutes remaining in your account. We do not provide itemized statements of calls made and received."

I interpret the last statement to say if you add minutes to your account before the previous minutes expire, the unexpired minutes will roll over and add to the purchased minutes. I also believe it can be interpreted to allow roll over of minutes, before they expire, to a continuing subscription without purchasing new minutes if requested before the minutes expire.

The terms after June 1, 2014 at the time OnStar began the relationship with AT&T, the terms changed dramatically. The data and calling plans appear to be purchased from AT&T making them subject to AT&T Terms and Conditions.

2015 cars also come standard with a Basic OnStar plan for five years. The following is copied from the OnStar website for my active account:
"All 2015 GM vehicles come with the
OnStar Basic Plan
The OnStar Basic Plan is available for 5 years from the date of delivery of an eligible, new 2015 Model Year vehicle and is transferable; includes OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics, Dealer Maintenance Notification, and access to RemoteLink Key Fob Servicesc. The OnStar Basic Plan does not include any Emergency Services, Automatic Crash Response, Stolen Vehicle Assistance, live Advisor service, or Hands-Free Calling. These and other services are available under a paid plan."
Old 12-23-2014, 01:42 PM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by nmerhaut
I have never had this problem with OnStar. I've had minutes expire and they've always restored them when I bought a new package.

They even suspend my subscription when I store my Vette for the winter and then pick up the extra months when I bring it back out.

If they've changed their philosophy, it's a relatively new thing.

I'd talk to a supervisor about restoring everything and if not, your actions are certainly warranted.

My biggest beef is they can't/won't shift the minutes to a different car when you trade the old one in.

Keep us posted if anything changes.
Thay will if you talk to the right supervisor, I traided in a 2007 Z51 Convertable and they switched the remaining minutes over to my Z06 without any problem..... It all depends on who you speak with and how you speak to them.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:46 AM
jluke
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

OnStar sent me a PM saying they would look into this issue. I am waiting for an answer.

Until then, Merry Christmas to all our forum members.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:41 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

I had several hundred minutes on my new 09 Z06. I wanted to keep a reserve of minutes in the event i ever needed them and lo and behold they expired on me. I had 4 new vettes at the time, no transfer of minutes, nothing. I have not renewed with on star since then. My cell phone works just fine.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:35 AM
jluke
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jluke
OnStar sent me a PM saying they would look into this issue. I am waiting for an answer.

Until then, Merry Christmas to all our forum members.
UPDATE---I responded to the OnStar advisor who stated they would look into my situation.

As of this morning, 12/31/2014, not a word from OnStar. One would think if they offered to inquire, they would certainly respond with some type of answer. I think seven days, even with the holidays, would allow enough time.

I guess it is a lost cause.

Happy New Year to my fellow forum members.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:39 AM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I have On Star on all three of our vehicles. I always have my calendar marked a few days before the minutes for each car are to expire. Then I just buy the lowest amount available of new minutes, then the old minutes roll over.

Quick Reply: OnStar took my minutes