Sponsored by:

Joining the Blown Engine Club

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 11:30 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by NASTYC7
I don't know is a 109 miles really that excessive for chasing down a " No Start" problem? Many variables may of been needed to test for it. It's not like they had a " vibration" at a certain speed or a "clunk" noise they could duplicate right away. This may of involved getting the trans to a temp, highway run, stop and go traffic and such shutting it off each time to try and find the problem.

If they didn't try multiple scenarios to find the problem, your complaint would be did you try this? or that? So if they drove it 15 miles and said " we can't find any problems" would you of been happy with that answer? Just my opinion and a 100 miles isn't that big of a deal.
Your saying it takes over 100 miles to get engine temp up.I can get engine speed up not moving.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:38 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by NASTYC7
I don't know is a 109 miles really that excessive for chasing down a " No Start" problem? .
COME ON MAN!
Old 12-28-2014, 04:42 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by gpotski
You'd think by 2914 they'd have the bugs worked out.
Good luck with the repairs.
Perhaps by then they will................
Old 12-29-2014, 12:06 PM
blkvett01
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Marissa
Chevrolet Customer Care is reviewing it for me.

Thanks Marissa
Old 12-29-2014, 12:53 PM
Zing
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thrilled
On A corvette forum A C7 blew an engine this past June .As of November still had not got it resolved.His attorney's asked him to stop talking about it on the forum.I believe to this day nothing has been solved.
+1

Document everything. Good luck with the situation
Old 12-29-2014, 02:47 PM
blkvett01
Racer

Up date: I met with the service manager at the dealer. We had a very good meet and I view the motor. He is on my side and has sent all information to GM on why he believes that my car needs a new motor.

The service manager explained that my advisor is leaving the company at the end of the month and he assigning a new advisor. This is moving along better and I feel strongly that the dealer is working in my behalf.

I will post on the motor later when I have more time.

Again thanks for all the support here!
Old 12-29-2014, 04:44 PM
blkvett01
Racer

Dealer just called GM approved the new motor!

Thanks for all the support.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:12 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by blkvett01

Cheers!! You have been a real gentleman about this issue and a class act by not making their name public or trashing them. I am very glad they did the right thing, you deserve no less
Old 12-29-2014, 05:14 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Great news! Congrats and let us know how everything turns out.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:07 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

And let us know about the failed engine when you get a chance...
Old 12-29-2014, 06:46 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Great!
Old 12-29-2014, 07:02 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Very good news.Ask them how they prime a new engine before actual start.Just curious.It is VERY important
Old 12-29-2014, 07:17 PM
blkvett01
Racer

Default Engine review

I checked the engine out today while I was at the dealer.

#8 was the problem, it threw the main bearing and was still attached to the crank. It is hard to tell what happen, the main bearing was broken and the crank was damaged. The rod to #8 was still attached and did not look to bad even though it took a beating.

We can not know for sure but #8 was locking up for some reason, this explains the starter going bad. The chain of event will be what they are I can only speculate to what happen. I am not going to do that. enough people will lol.

I could not really see that much. One of GM engineers came in and looked at another car last week. He was there so he inspected the motor while he was there. This saved a lot of time for me thanks for the luck in that part!

I have too say one thing is the dealer step up and went to work and got this handled for me. I know they are the selling part of the business for GM and have to play both side of the field. I am sure they have to CYA and find the best working solution for all involved.

I as I have stated through out this process there was three side to the problem. We all had vested interest in the out come.

All I was asking was for a fare deal. Asking for a new car would not have been that in this case. To me it was getting a new motor have it installed get warranty and go on my merry way.

Too many time people have unrealistic goals and no one can win if we do that. GM will go out of business and the Dealer will not have cars to sale. No win.

Thanks for every ones support with all the ideas. If I find out anything else about the motor I will share. The dealer explained it will 14 to 15 days before they get the new engine. That is what I was expecting time wise.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:34 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
That is what many are clueless about. Warranty reimbur$ement is nowhere near the shops normal rate. You hear it every now & then, someone spews "the dealer should be eager to perform warranty repairs.... they get paid for it.

Barely; and without any enthusiasm. As far as the dealer goes, warranty repairs are a necessary evil.
Your right. When I GM replaced the motor on one of my fleet vehicles I teased the tech by saying this was a nice paying job he said no, not at all the dealership including him get a reduction so he has to move his *** not to lose $$.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:41 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Congrats on your results. As mentioned during this thread The ECm has this been at all considered the culprit? Maybe it ran #8 lean?
Old 12-29-2014, 08:02 PM
blkvett01
Racer

Thanks for the information. This why I love this forum, now for over 10 years! I have made notes of all the input and will try to make sure I have all the bases covered.

I do not post much but I am always around and learning everything I can.

John
Old 12-29-2014, 08:23 PM
smajicek
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by DALE#3
COME ON MAN!
sounds more like a joy ride on company time to me???

Get notified of new replies

To Joining the Blown Engine Club

Old 12-29-2014, 10:22 PM
roleku
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a major failure like this GM will give you a high end GMPP plan free but you will have to demand it they wont just hand it out without a little kicking and screaming!
Old 12-29-2014, 10:30 PM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by thrilled
Your saying it takes over 100 miles to get engine temp up.I can get engine speed up not moving.
Try reading a little better... Trans temp!! can you do that by not moving?
Old 01-01-2015, 09:20 PM
LTC Hutto
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default New member of the club?

I checked the engine out today while I was at the dealer.

#8 was the problem, it threw the main bearing and was still attached to the crank. It is hard to tell what happen, the main bearing was broken and the crank was damaged. The rod to #8 was still attached and did not look to bad even though it took a beating.

We can not know for sure but #8 was locking up for some reason, this explains the starter going bad. The chain of event will be what they are I can only speculate to what happen. I am not going to do that. enough people will lol.

I could not really see that much. One of GM engineers came in and looked at another car last week. He was there so he inspected the motor while he was there. This saved a lot of time for me thanks for the luck in that part!

I have too say one thing is the dealer step up and went to work and got this handled for me. I know they are the selling part of the business for GM and have to play both side of the field. I am sure they have to CYA and find the best working solution for all involved.

I as I have stated through out this process there was three side to the problem. We all had vested interest in the out come.

All I was asking was for a fare deal. Asking for a new car would not have been that in this case. To me it was getting a new motor have it installed get warranty and go on my merry way.

Too many time people have unrealistic goals and no one can win if we do that. GM will go out of business and the Dealer will not have cars to sale. No win.

Thanks for every ones support with all the ideas. If I find out anything else about the motor I will share. The dealer explained it will 14 to 15 days before they get the new engine. That is what I was expecting time wise.

Well, John, we may be fixing to become brothers.

I just bought a 2014 on Dec 19 with 1250 miles on it. Local trade from a guy who placed an order for a 2015 Z06 the day he took delivery of mine in May 2014.

I took it to Texas to visit family over Christmas. Got it back to Louisville, KY with 4230 miles. Took it to work on Dec 28 and it developed a knocking sound. Started off sort of quiet with a frequency similar to valve lifters ticking only a much deeper bass sound.

Called my regular service writer at the dealership. He says the shop manager was just leaving for the day and suggested I bring it in the next morning. Told him I was concerned about driving that far with this kind of engine noise with the dealer being only a couple of miles so he says, bring it by and he'll take a look.

He's not really hearing anything so says bring it back in the morning. I question weather that's wise at this point. He's thinking no noise, no problem. I'm worried about putting about 30 more miles on an engine that's making a knocking sound. Took his recommendation and went home.

Next morning it's about 29 degrees and I'm worried stiff about Z51 tires cracking and engine blowing but start out slow and making wide wide turns for the tires sake. No knocking? Not to worry it showed up as the oil temp rose to about 150 degrees, normal = 200 for this car. The noise started out subtle but then as the oil temp got up to normal, it got worse and worse.

Got to the dealer's shop and met the shop manager. Explained the problem, he asked if I'd take him for a ride or if I'd like him to drive it. Gave him the key and hopped in the right seat. We hadn't gotten 100 feet after exiting the shop building and he's still in 1st gear and I'm telling him there it is, hear it? He says definitely engine related.

Made a couple of stops and he revved the engine to about 1500 rpm while stopped in neutral and it just sounded horrible. Of course you know I'm sort of biased. Take her back in the building and we start writing up the ticket. Our test drive? All of a circle round the building probably less than 100 yds!

My service guy is saying next available appointment is Monday and I'm balking and he's offering me a loaner car. Then I explain I don't need a car, I'm concerned about putting another 30-40 miles on an engine that's got a fairly loud knock. So they kept the car, I got a ride home in their courtesy shuttle and I'm in Z71 mode.

I'm with you, John, no sense getting all hyper about it. Stuff happens and until I now exactly what I'm up against. Fortunately, my dealer is a high volume corvette dealership. Heck, they currently have 33 Z06s on order. I've been doing business with them for a few years now and I ordered my R8C 2013 60th Anniv 427 'vert from them couple of years ago and my salesman even gave me a ride down to NCM!

My thanks also to all previous comments to John's thread, very informative to me as well. I don't even know my vin will check on that tomorrow and find out when my car was built. That may have some thing to do with it too. Now to find a thread about torque tube problems.

Quick Reply: Joining the Blown Engine Club