C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many model years do you think the C7 will see?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 09:58 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

The Mid-Engine Corvette will be a reality in about four more years, and will be introduced as a separate line. I still believe the Corvette as we know it will eventually become a stand alone nameplate breaking away from Chevrolet. This gives Corvette the capability of offering several "models" to chose from, and I think you will hear an announcement soon about the first model being a basic Corvette, and this will be the introduction of either a very small V-8 or a V-6. I think you will have the following in two years:

Corvette - Basic V6
Stingray - What we have today Lt1
Z06 - What we have today Lt4
Zora - Mid Engine - V-6, Twin Turbo
and something like a ZR1 or GS model.... This model will have a V-10. Supercharged.

That is pure speculation on my part, but I see this happening in the near future and the first sign will be the entry model Corvette.....lets see where this goes....
Old 12-10-2014, 10:27 AM
bobbykart
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

I heard somewhere it would be a short run, due to the C8 being worked on.i believe 5 years
Old 12-11-2014, 10:36 PM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by VETJAZZ
Who cares? I'm enjoying the hell out of my 2014!
I care or I wouldn't have opened the thread. But if you don't you're welcome to scroll past the thread and not waste time commenting. ��
Old 12-12-2014, 01:24 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

I would suspect that the current C7 design/engine combination will die at about the same time that we who remember the original V8/manual Corvettes age out of the market.

I think it's a tossup as to whether we'll first see a C7 derivative with the CTS-V's twin turbo V6 or a carbon fiber tub mid-engine car (somewhat like a slightly larger Alfa Romeo 4C) with the CTS-V's engine. In either case, once we older guys go the manual transmission option likely will die out as well, so I would predict that V6s will be exclusively 8 speed automatics or automatically shifted manuals. The cost of certifying and stocking a second, manual engine/transmission combination will argue against the manual, particularly when its performance falls behind the automatic.

Also, as Camaro moves to the same (lighter) platform as Cadillac ATS in a year or two we're likely to see its performance come closer and closer to the C7, which would make a carbon fiber/rear engine C8 more likely.

In any case, it's interesting to speculate and will be interesting to see what GM actually does.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:45 AM
savage
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 89 Posts

im 53 sence the day my older brother took me for a hell ride in his 1967 big block 427 in 1972 i have heard of this being the last of the V8's. well im about to pick up my 12th corvette( six new ones) and its a v8.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:07 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Certainly do not totally disagree, and really hope the previous posters are right about the v8, but when you objectively and I mean very objectively look at the current and future of automotive engineering and the path it is following, the days of the V-8 are going to be limited, just a matter of time, and I think the time is running out fast.

Sure for years we have been hearing about the V6 overtaking the V8, heard that during the C3 era, MANY TIMES. I remember the small V6 that was used in trucks were going to be modified for the use in the C4, and it never happened, and the reason was simple, to get the performance needed out of the V6 to be comparable to the V8s at the time, just was not there. They had a boatload of issues that made replacing that small V6 with the L89, or LT1 (350) engine more costly, was not dependable, did not have the power needed to run accessories like air, power steering, etc. that was on the Corvette, also once the accessories were on there was no torque, and remember back then the power bands were between 190 and 280 HP anyhow, making it a very slow Corvette, but many other reasons were cited on why the V6 was note used, and once was just the idea of a V6 in the Corvette would decrease sales, to a car that already was struggling in the late 70's and early 80's until the new C4 was released in 84 that so an increase in sales, and HP increased during the late 80's and 90's with intro of the LT1 engine. During this time the V6 was dead, and was not even considered as an alternative for the Corvette, as the V8 development continues to make excellent progress, resulting in the closing years of the C4 with the LT4, leading to the LS engines that were major improvements, but how far can you go now? Today, advancements with the V6 are just in the beginning stages, something Porsche, and BMW and others have known for years, its a much different story, the V6 can match a V8 in many cases that makes it much more attractive to put in the Corvette.

Two issues continue to drive the demise of the future for the need of the V-8;cost/profit margins and, the Federal Government gas requirements.

The V-6 has already proven it is cheaper to produce, has matured with its ability to perform and dependability, and now with advanced computer technology, as well as mechanical know how, has the capabilities of producing the same if not more horsepower then the current V8 while using less and cheaper gas.

As a result, of using less parts, lighter materials, with less machining, the profit margarine for a V-6 is much more than the V-8. The V-6 is lighter, just as responsive, takes up less space under the hood, easy to work on, very adaptable to the computer, and is dependable.

The V-6 will get much better gas mileage also, that will assure GM meets the gas requirements of the near future.

Maybe the V8 will not totally go away in the near future, but I think will be offered either as options or in higher priced models like the the Z06 models, ZR1, or maybe the new GS. The base Stingray, I really do believe the Twin Turbo, similar to what is offered in the Caddy will be the future for the Stingray, and much sooner than most people think. One thing a do believe and it will be there in the very near future, the V8 will become a hybrid. You will have a hybrid Corvette....

I love my V8, and still believe there is no replacement for displacement, but the need for the V-8 is slowly disappearing with the major improvements in mechanical, technical, need for light/small power plant that cost less to produce and more profitable to the bottom line. This means to assure the Corvette still is somewhat and affordable American Sportscar.... Just my humble opinion of what the future of the Corvette will be, the near future.

Last edited by 1KULC7; 12-12-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:28 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Since we are speculating, here goes.

With R&D going on now for the new model, unless there are some unforeseen problems, I'd expect to see a model change in 2020 (I have no reason to believe the magazines have it wrong in this case).

With BMW, Lambo, Alfa, and others going mid engine and incorporating hybrid tech and copious amount of CF into their designs, GM will likely do the same just to stay current. Further expect to see a focus on massive weight reduction and movement away from the V8 engine to save weight and space.

Whether we see all these changes at one time is debatable, but with rumors of 2017 mid engine "Zora" priced mid way to $200K, it seems feasible that every bit of technology available will be put into that car.

From 2017 to 2020 I'd expect engineers to design a base level C8 utilizing some of the "Zora" tech and lessons learned in the intervening years to put together a competitive world class mid engine Corvette sports car.

So, 2020 sees a complete model change to a new C8,

Mid-engine, 6 cylinder, probable turbo or likely supercharged base model. Huge weight loss with use of CF. Maybe AWD and cylinder deactivation tech for EPA gains.

Possible hybrid electric motor assist (although that may be optioned only on the $150K model) while the base is kept zero hybrid utilizing cylinder deactivation for high EPA ratings.

Whatever GM comes up with it will be world class competitive.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:40 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Since we are speculating, here goes.

With R&D going on now for the new model, unless there are some unforeseen problems, I'd expect to see a model change in 2020 (I have no reason to believe the magazines have it wrong in this case).

With BMW, Lambo, Alfa, and others going mid engine and incorporating hybrid tech and copious amount of CF into their designs, GM will likely do the same just to stay current. Further expect to see a focus on massive weight reduction and movement away from the V8 engine to save weight and space.

Whether we see all these changes at one time is debatable, but with rumors of 2017 mid engine "Zora" priced mid way to $200K, it seems feasible that every bit of technology available will be put into that car.

From 2017 to 2020 I'd expect engineers to design a base level C8 utilizing some of the "Zora" tech and lessons learned in the intervening years to put together a competitive world class mid engine Corvette sports car.

So, 2020 sees a complete model change to a new C8,

Mid-engine, 6 cylinder, probable turbo or likely supercharged base model. Huge weight loss with use of CF. Maybe AWD and cylinder deactivation tech for EPA gains.

Possible hybrid electric motor assist (although that may be optioned only on the $150K model) while the base is kept zero hybrid utilizing cylinder deactivation for high EPA ratings.

Whatever GM comes up with it will be world class competitive.
Great minds think alike. Well put... but still think during the next few years Corvette will become its own GM nameplate, breaking away from Chevrolet.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:25 PM
CGGS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1KULC7
Great minds think alike. Well put... but still think during the next few years Corvette will become its own GM nameplate, breaking away from Chevrolet.
And I think at the price points the Stingray's are hitting now when optioned up that makes sense.

When you start getting into $60k, $70k, $80K, you are now reaching a different income level of buyer and those buyers expect more service and personal attention the average Joe Blow dealerships that sh*ts out 25K high volume sales all day long.

I believe now that Corvette has finally reached Euro car levels of interior/refinement, their next logical move is to branch away from the crappy GM dealership experience.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:15 PM
onthebottom
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flaagan
Hydrogen powered ICE, V8 stays.

Then again, Chevy could gun for the P1 next and do some really insane hybrid setup.
I think the hybrid is the answer, very efficient blown V8 with electric turbo lag fill.... in about 6 years.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:03 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

The C7 could have a 6 to 7 year run. But sales figures in future years, and GM finances will have a lot to do with how long the C7 run is. By 2013 the C6 total sales figures had dropped to 13,466.

I seem to remember reading GM started working on the C7 design around 2007. They may already be working on the design for the C8. I hope we don't see the end of the V8 or the manual transmission.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:21 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by jma242
Eight or nine years. I go by recent history.
I was going to say the same thing
Old 12-13-2014, 01:15 PM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

My guess is 6 years for the C7 and the new C8 releasing in 2020, I really like the way "2020" sounds for the new generation C8.
I am sure there is a dedicated team already working on the C8 preliminary design.

Quick Reply: How many model years do you think the C7 will see?