C7 Bra options

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 11:41 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Default C7 Bra options

I've been hunting around for a bra for my C7 for the last several weeks, something that could provide a high level of protection from rocks and such when on the highway.

After some research I settled on a vinyl bra carried by several distributors. No manufacture name but labeled only as "2014 Corvette Stingray Front end Cover/Bra with Crossed Flag logo." So I ordered it ($159).

After a couple of days I got a call from the distributor saying this product was no longer in stock, so I found another vendor that claimed to have the same product and re-ordered it. Two days later I get a call from the 2nd vendor saying the product was no longer being manufactured, although they said they had one more in stock they could send me, but added, they didn't recommend it because it didn't fit well and the product has had issues. So I gave up on that one.

After a bit more pondering I decided to order the NoviStretch mask. I was surprised when it showed up in a very small box. After installing it my first thoughts were; this product is seriously over-priced and wouldn't provide the level of protection I was looking for. But on the plus side, the NoviStretch product does cover the radiator opening well and it looks like it might be able to keep bugs and perhaps very small debris from damaging the front of the car. But it was pretty obvious this product wasn't going to provide the level of protection I'm looking for.

Now I'm starting to look at a bra product from Speed Lingerie matching color vinyl bra. Has anyone had any experience with this product (pro's or con's?), or other vinyl bra's that fit the C7? Ideally I'd like to find a vinyl bra that has mesh built in to cover the radiator opening, and color matching if possible.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:49 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 952 Likes on 499 Posts
Tech Contributor

The novistrech is plenty of protection, just did 3000 miles with one, no marks whatsoever.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:54 PM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,530 Likes on 2,322 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Glen e
The novistrech is plenty of protection, just did 3000 miles with one, no marks whatsoever.
I've put over 4000 miles on my novistretch and had absolutely no problems, issues, or damage.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:24 AM
hankman
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the crossflags vinyl bra,,,, works fine !
Old 12-09-2014, 12:26 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,374 Likes on 14,022 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Historically Speed Lingerie has made a very good product for the Vette and it provides very good protection. But it is a very pricey thing for sure.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:37 AM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts

I go bra-less.

Wife goes with Victoria Secret's lacy fishnet mesh push-up bra lingerie collection, instead of Speed Lingerie...
Old 12-09-2014, 08:01 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

I have several of the speed lingerie bras and they are top notch. With that comes top notch prices and I have not had any damage while using them. One of the bras was for my 2004 Lemans Blue Z06. Along with the matching mirror covers that bra and covers was around $650.

The other bra was a custom designed bra for my 2009 Z06 GT1 which was a very limited factory made car but the standard bras covered up some of the front design so they made me a customized bra for the car. $750 and that did not include any mirror covers.

So, they are the best and the highest price.

My C7 in Limerock green I also picked up the Novistretch mask like you have. I have not installed it yet but wanted something easy to install that would also protect the radiator from bugs and road junk. And it won't take up a bunch of room either. Do not run a mask unless you are on a road trip as they will gather up sand and dust in a few locations where it could scratch up the paint.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:16 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,931 Likes on 4,811 Posts

Only way to go. Quality product, looks good and offers the protection you need to prevent chips, etc.
Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Historically Speed Lingerie has made a very good product for the Vette and it provides very good protection. But it is a very pricey thing for sure.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:26 AM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Received 207 Likes on 137 Posts

Check out Xpel Ultimate clear bra.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:01 AM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

Is 3M clear film not in favor anymore?
Old 12-09-2014, 10:12 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

I had considered one, but IMO they detract so much from the appearance of the car, I opted to run without.

Figured if the front starts to get really nasty (and something I can't mend with Dr.Colorchip), I'll pay to have the front end re-shot and blended.

Having had a number of Corvettes and run them on some pretty nasty rock chipped and oiled roads, even after years of use, the front never looked horrible (quarter panels were another story). Yeah, you do get a chip here and there, but nothing stays looking new forever unless you don't use it or cover it up.

I had a 78 and an 87 that had lots of chips on the quarters (thanks to the Central Illinois oil and rock roads). Local painter re-shot the lower panels for a couple of hundred dollar$. They looked great. Florida roads are a much better proposition than the Illinois roads so any chips that do show will probably be handled with a touch-up regimen.

Just depends on your perspective.

The only bra I thought would look decent on a car was the color match variety. $600 and a gamble you don't pick up a chip higher than the bra coverage.
Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2014, 10:25 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 952 Likes on 499 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
I had considered one, but IMO they detract so much from the appearance of the car, I opted to run without.

understood, but I only use mine for long term trips and don't care what the next guy at the gas station 400 miles away thinks of how my car looks. When I get to where I'm going the novistretch comes off as soon as I hit town with one hand...wash it in the sink and stuff it in the rear cubby. A vinyl bra cant do that, had a vinyl one and sold it...
Old 12-09-2014, 10:44 AM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by bearphoto
I have several of the speed lingerie bras and they are top notch. With that comes top notch prices and I have not had any damage while using them. One of the bras was for my 2004 Lemans Blue Z06. Along with the matching mirror covers that bra and covers was around $650.

The other bra was a custom designed bra for my 2009 Z06 GT1 which was a very limited factory made car but the standard bras covered up some of the front design so they made me a customized bra for the car. $750 and that did not include any mirror covers.

So, they are the best and the highest price.

My C7 in Limerock green I also picked up the Novistretch mask like you have. I have not installed it yet but wanted something easy to install that would also protect the radiator from bugs and road junk. And it won't take up a bunch of room either. Do not run a mask unless you are on a road trip as they will gather up sand and dust in a few locations where it could scratch up the paint.
bearphoto, The Novistretch works very well. It installs easy, removes easy, and it cleans fast and easy. Like Glen e says, I use it on road trips and remove and clean it when I get to my destination.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:49 AM
c6chaz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bra

Originally Posted by Rave
I've been hunting around for a bra for my C7 for the last several weeks, something that could provide a high level of protection from rocks and such when on the highway.

After some research I settled on a vinyl bra carried by several distributors. No manufacture name but labeled only as "2014 Corvette Stingray Front end Cover/Bra with Crossed Flag logo." So I ordered it ($159).

After a couple of days I got a call from the distributor saying this product was no longer in stock, so I found another vendor that claimed to have the same product and re-ordered it. Two days later I get a call from the 2nd vendor saying the product was no longer being manufactured, although they said they had one more in stock they could send me, but added, they didn't recommend it because it didn't fit well and the product has had issues. So I gave up on that one.

After a bit more pondering I decided to order the NoviStretch mask. I was surprised when it showed up in a very small box. After installing it my first thoughts were; this product is seriously over-priced and wouldn't provide the level of protection I was looking for. But on the plus side, the NoviStretch product does cover the radiator opening well and it looks like it might be able to keep bugs and perhaps very small debris from damaging the front of the car. But it was pretty obvious this product wasn't going to provide the level of protection I'm looking for.

Now I'm starting to look at a bra product from Speed Lingerie matching color vinyl bra. Has anyone had any experience with this product (pro's or con's?), or other vinyl bra's that fit the C7? Ideally I'd like to find a vinyl bra that has mesh built in to cover the radiator opening, and color matching if possible.
gm bra for me looks good fits perfect.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:56 AM
StingRaycer
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used the Novistretch on my C7 for the Hot Rod Power tour and the Corvette caravan and it was great. Lightweight, can be on the car in the rain, easily washable, covers the radiator opening so no bugs or rocks into the radiator opening. Easily removed and stored quickly.
I much prefer it to my previous GM vinyl bra.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:58 AM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue2
I go bra-less.

Wife goes with Victoria Secret's lacy fishnet mesh push-up bra lingerie collection, instead of Speed Lingerie...
Amen!
Old 12-09-2014, 11:02 AM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for all the great input. I realize now I should have better defined the level of protection that I'm looking for in my original post.

For running around town, or for short trips involving slower speeds I normally don't even bother installing front end protection, as I really don't like the look of protective bra's. But for longer highway trips I like to have good front end protection.

Picture this. You're traveling down the highway at 70mph and a construction truck far ahead of you bounces and launches 1/2-3/4" gravel; the type of pointy stone that would cause a nasty chip in your windshield, or put a small ding in a body panel. I know from experience a good quality vinyl bra provides front end protection from this type of debris. As for clear bra material, I have XPEL Ultimate on my C7 and as good as it is, it has its limits, and I've seen pictures of what a stone of this size can do to this product (penetration of the product and damage to the body panel). And while I'm sure the thin stretchable mask can provide some level of protection, I have serious doubts whether it can protect the front end from larger debris, which leads me back to the vinyl bra.

I recently learned that Speed Lingerie has come out with the 2015 C7 matching colors, so I plan to order one soon. Does anyone know if the Speed Lingerie product offers a mesh option that covers the radiator opening? In my area, especially during the summer, cleaning bugs out of the radiator is regular chore.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Bra options

Old 12-09-2014, 11:03 AM
PGSJOE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The clearbra is always on as you know so you are always protected, it does cost more but its worth it to me at least and one less thing to mess with.
It is also incredibly strong, got a wheel rub mark on mine thanks to some dumb,,, at wal mart and it polished right off. Bare paint would have been scrubbed off, so mine has paid for itself more than once now.
Actuall the whole front clip is covered so stuff that miss the nose also bounces off the hood/fenders and while its not bulletproof it is to me quite impressive.

Last edited by PGSJOE; 12-09-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:25 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Rave

Picture this. You're traveling down the highway at 70mph and a construction truck far ahead of you bounces and launches 1/2-3/4" gravel; the type of pointy stone that would cause a nasty chip in your windshield, or put a small ding in a body panel. I know from experience a good quality vinyl bra provides front end protection from this type of debris. As for clear bra material, I have XPEL Ultimate on my C7 and as good as it is, it has its limits, and I've seen pictures of what a stone of this size can do to this product (penetration of the product and damage to the body panel). And while I'm sure the thin stretchable mask can provide some level of protection, I have serious doubts whether it can protect the front end from larger debris, which leads me back to the vinyl bra.
I've had exactly this experience with a tandem dumping rock as he traveled down I75 oblivious to everything around him.

Crack in windshield, a busted fog lamp and snowflake crack in a plastic headlight lens. Not sure how many rock pieces hit front bumper and hood, but paint chips to those were almost non existent when I checked the damage.

Fortunately I was not driving a Corvette at the time, but rather a Saturn sedan. Now, if in Corvette, I swing left lane and hammer it to get around any dumps.

Instances like this and the one you describe are a crap shoot whether you take damage or not, bra or not.

Good Comprehensive coverage is very helpful. I now have a $100 deductible for comprehensive coverage (cost isn't that much more since it is Comp and not Collision). Considering a Corvette headlight assembly is $600....and the amount of construction traffic we now have down here, just made good sense to me.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:32 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,485 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

For the amount of money to purchase a high end Speed Lingerie bra, you can get close to a quality clear bra or Xpel installed. Then add the Novi-Stretch bra for road trips simply to keep the bugs and road grime off.

Last edited by MSG C5; 12-09-2014 at 06:16 PM.

Quick Reply: C7 Bra options