Sponsored by:

Oil PSI

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 05:37 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Oil PSI

Curious what you guys are showing for oil pressure at idle and then at cruising.

My buddy is worried that his is too low at 30-32 PSI at Idle and 36-38 at cruising speed.

That's about what mine shows so I assume that's the normal. He was thinking around 50 PSI when cruising.

Never gave it a second thought. So I'm asking to put his mind at ease.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:43 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

About right. If the oil pressure warning light doesn't come on, don't worry about it.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:44 PM
Caholo1
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Mine is the same also.
Caholo1
Old 12-05-2014, 05:53 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

I get 30-31 at hot idle and 35 when hot and cruising. Has gotten significantly smoother and seemingly quicker now at 2400 miles than when off the showroom floor. Don
Old 12-05-2014, 09:15 PM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

that's about where mine is also. Z51
Old 12-06-2014, 06:45 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,679 Likes on 6,666 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Curious what you guys are showing for oil pressure at idle and then at cruising.

My buddy is worried that his is too low at 30-32 PSI at Idle and 36-38 at cruising speed.

That's about what mine shows so I assume that's the normal. He was thinking around 50 PSI when cruising.

That is about where mine is. GM states the LT1 has an energy saving feature that varies oil pressure at lower rpm. It is more than the standard spring limiting max pressure. In addition it measures pressure where it is the lowest. Quoting GM:
"The crank-driven, variable-displacement oil pump can vary the oil pressure depending on demand. Oil pressure is measured at the last bearing surface in the oiling circuit, where pressure is typically lowest, to ensure that oil pressure is sufficient, even at the last bearing in the line
."

Last edited by JerryU; 12-06-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:23 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
That is about where mine is. GM states the LT1 has an energy saving feature that varies oil pressure at lower rpm. It is more than the standard spring limiting max pressure. In addition it measures pressure where it is the lowest. Quoting GM:
"The crank-driven, variable-displacement oil pump can vary the oil pressure
depending on demand. Oil pressure is measured at the last bearing surface in the oiling circuit, where pressure is typically lowest, to ensure that oil pressure is sufficient, even at the last bearing in the line
."
That is very enlightening and makes perfect sense explaining fluctuation and the lower readings..
Old 12-06-2014, 02:04 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,679 Likes on 6,666 Posts

That is very enlightening and makes perfect sense explaining fluctuation and the lower readings..
I'll have to look when near red line. Usually things happening so quick and eye on the HUD TAC to read oil pressure!
Old 12-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

"The crank-driven, variable-displacement oil pump can vary the oil pressure depending on demand. Oil pressure is measured at the last bearing surface in the oiling circuit, where pressure is typically lowest, to ensure that oil pressure is sufficient, even at the last bearing in the line
."
Interesting. Not sure how much energy that saves tho. In any case, oil flow is far more important than pressure anyway; unfortunately there's no easy way to monitor that so pressure is what's measured and displayed.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:19 PM
Ronbear
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here. I like to see 35 all the time but that is not what's happening.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:02 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Oil pressure is measured at the last bearing surface in the oiling circuit, where pressure is typically lowest, to ensure that oil pressure is sufficient, even at the last bearing in the line[/I][/B]."
Thanks for posting that, it’s very interesting.

In the “old” days, the standard used to be 10psi/1000 rpm so the 35 psi I get at 1500rpm when hot is fine, particularly if measured at the last bearing.

Add to that, if it is a “happy” engine and by that I mean where the mating surfaces are consistent, hopefully these engines should last a very long time, particularly when using synthetics. Don
Old 12-09-2014, 04:12 PM
checkur6
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Exactly the same as my Z51!
Old 12-09-2014, 04:24 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,992 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Interesting. Not sure how much energy that saves tho. In any case, oil flow is far more important than pressure anyway; unfortunately there's no easy way to monitor that so pressure is what's measured and displayed.
These days MPG is measured down to the decimals so every little bit helps. My 2nd car has a similar, variable displacement, feature for the A/C compressor so it drags as little on the engine as possible.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:50 PM
BadUmp
Team Owner

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

If you really want to get your head to spin like Regan Theresa MacNeil's in the Exorcist, go talk to a guy who builds top fuel eliminator drag motors about oil pressure vs flow and they'll give you a lecture that will make you wish you'd gone hunting or fishing instead... it seems to be a science in and of it self dependent on what the motor use will be. Or at least according to the last guy I asked, and got lost in the thought in about 3 minutes!

Get notified of new replies

To Oil PSI

Quick Reply: Oil PSI