Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I never thought I'd ever love a car this much

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 08:33 AM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

Great write up. And that guys, is why we are all here to begin with.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I have much more respect for the hard working person who gets his dream car and appreciates it than the spoiled wealthy guy who buys and sells exotics on a whim.

The C7 seems so easy to love.....
Old 12-02-2014, 05:11 PM
sharpseadog
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
OK, this is probably going to sound a little sappy but please bear with me. First, a little background: I'm just a regular working guy who has never been wealthy. I've loved cars since I was old enough to walk; owning a nice car has always been important to me not because of anything to do with status, just because I enjoy nice cars. Since buying my first car fresh out of college, I've owned around 20 cars, all of them bought new. Those cars ranged from a Dodge Omni (a surprisingly nice car for the money) to Pontiac Grand Prix to two different Volvo sedans, two different Audi A6s, my 2005 Corvette, and my current 2015 Stingray. Of all the cars I've owned, I liked and enjoyed every one except (and this is embarrassing) the AWFUL '75 Mustang II. Which brings me to the point of this thread.

When I ordered my '15 Stingray coupe I knew it was a great car and that I'd love it. After all, I'd seen the C7 in person on several occasions including at two different museum bashes and several auto shows. Heck, thanks to good friend Paul Pearson (known here as talon90) I'd even gotten to drive one (Paul's Stingray) before ordering so I had a good sense for how much better the Stingray was in pretty much every way vs. my '05. What I wasn't prepared for was just how much I'd love the car after finally taking delivery. It has vastly exceeded my expectations and my expectations were high.

My Stingray is pretty much middle of the road. It's a Z51 coupe, 2LT, 7-speed, with navigation / PDR and magnetic ride. I didn't pop the extra several grand for 3LT (though sometimes I wish that I did) and I went with the standard painted roof panel and wheels. Other than occasionally wishing that I'd gone with 3LT, I have no regrets and would order the car the same way if I had it to do over again. (In an absolute sense I like my 2LT interior just fine; only when I compare it side-by-side with a 3LT do I sometimes wish I'd have gone 3LT.)

I've had my Stingray for just shy of three months and it has around 1150 miles on it. It has completely blown me away with how great of a car it is. To my eyes, it looks as good as any mega-buck exotic out there, bar none. I love the crisp lines, the contours, the LED lighting, the styling cues that are departures from what used to be expected on Corvettes e.g. the taillights, rear side quarter windows, and flat rear window. Then there's the interior. Everything you touch feels good and reeks of high quality. The seats are comfortable and sturdy. The MyLink system, while not perfect, works well and does things that I never imagined (e.g. play and display text messages, place phone calls by voice command). The audio system is way improved over that in my C6 and actually sounds good to my ears.

Then there's the driving experience. While my C6 was no slouch, this car is obviously in an entirely different league. The enormous (to me at least) torque of the LT1, the variable feel of the electric power steering, the magnetic ride control, and the sounds that are emitted from the NPP exhaust combine to provide a driving experience that must be experienced to be understood. There's no way I could articulate to anyone what it feels like to be behind the wheel of this magnificent machine. That Chevrolet can put out a car like this at such a reasonable price point is something that defies all logic IMO.

When I got home from a drive earlier today I pulled into the garage and took a little time to go over the exterior with a little microfiber and detail spray. As I was shining her up I realized that to me this car is a dream come true; I love driving it, I love shining it up, and I love just looking at it. To say that I'm emotionally attached to it would be a huge understatement. Even though it's just a 2LT Z51, I couldn't love it any more if it was a 3LZ Z06. Hopefully others here are fortunate enough to feel the same about their cars of choice!

Well said. I traded the best car I ever owned (2012 TR 2LT Vert) for my TR 2015 2LT Z51 Vert. I never had the chance to drive a C7 before I ordered mine, but I had read EVERYTHING published about it and watched every U-Tube review. I took delivery 6 weeks ago and now have 1400 miles on it. It has exceeded even my highest expectations. I had 30,000 trouble free miles on my 2012. I plan to keep this one until I die and then hope to be buried in it with at least 300,000 miles on the odometer!
Old 12-02-2014, 05:51 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Good writeup! Beautiful car! Enjoy the hell out of it. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:02 PM
olympic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,
Ditto, ditto. I identify with your love and excitement and even your humble beginnings. Always a car lover and this is the best feeling ever. Can't stop smiling. And I appreciate your advice when I was in the ordering stage. A mere 300 miles on my 10-day old silver coupe.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:40 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Good story, you are fulfilling the dream of many.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:44 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Your C7 is not beautiful....it is simply "stunning". The Laguna Blue looks awesome. Great choice of color. Great photo.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:53 PM
S2TPerformance
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome write-up! Great looking C7.

Michael Bello
S2T Performance Products
Old 12-02-2014, 07:08 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

OP your car is awesome and i think all of us feel the same way that you do. I really had no intentions of getting rid of my C6 and into a C7...things just sort of happened this way. I had looked at a few of them and sat in them, i guess it was the dealer test drive that changed my mind.

Only had my car about a month and still no idea what the performance is really like. The C6 was sharp and ran great and was totally badass. This C7 is just way more exotic by comparison. Both accomplish their intended mission, like John Wayne Vs. James Bond, two different cars but the same overall result.

Sure i got a lot of looks and compliments in the C6, the C7 will likely get many more. Already lots of people in awe of it when they drive by. Im not rich either, just a working guy living the dream, so to speak.

Best thing about this car, aside from the great looks, the feeling i get just driving around for no particular reason. Haven't been this excited about a new car since my first vette, the 04 C5.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:36 PM
Gr8ful
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a shame that some folks including C7 owners will never get that emotional connection with their cars. I have been blessed to be able own this fine piece of machinery and mine is equipped the same except I got the clear roof too.
An extension of one body when all strapped in and rolling down the road. One with the machine.
Thanks for putting it in great terms.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:15 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

GM U.S. Deliveries for November 2014
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2014, 09:25 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Great write up by a guy I have respected on this forum for many years
Old 12-02-2014, 09:59 PM
rpoz06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

So well said. Exactly why I am here every night. What a great group of enthusiast all bonded together by a great machine.

Enjoy that gorgeous car OP!
Old 12-03-2014, 01:52 AM
richelu
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Great post.
I had the pleasure of driving from N. Georgia to S. Florida for the Thanksgiving holiday, so I am at around 2600 fun filled miles on my car. I have enjoyed them all so far.
I have used the navigation and I love that I can see the weather along my route. I was able to see the storm front ahead of me and was in the clear the whole way down.

You forgot to mention the great breaks. I was doing a little spirited driving on a long stretch of road out toward an everglades preserve in South Florida (we used to do a little racing on Loxahatchee road when I was in high school) and they put some speed humps for the last mile or so before the boat ramp. All I have to say is thank you Chevy for some great brakes as I was able to get the speed down in time when I saw the first hump in the distance.

Last edited by richelu; 12-03-2014 at 01:56 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:16 AM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Well Done! I feel you... I can relate completely, hence why I got mine without my better half being part of it. Becuase for what you wrote: "hard working and not rich", it definitely gives one a feeling "You have Arrived".

Wish you the best and enjoy your car on every twisted back road out there.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:32 AM
HIHO
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
OK, this is probably going to sound a little sappy but please bear with me. First, a little background: I'm just a regular working guy who has never been wealthy. I've loved cars since I was old enough to walk; owning a nice car has always been important to me not because of anything to do with status, just because I enjoy nice cars. Since buying my first car fresh out of college, I've owned around 20 cars, all of them bought new. Those cars ranged from a Dodge Omni (a surprisingly nice car for the money) to Pontiac Grand Prix to two different Volvo sedans, two different Audi A6s, my 2005 Corvette, and my current 2015 Stingray. Of all the cars I've owned, I liked and enjoyed every one except (and this is embarrassing) the AWFUL '75 Mustang II. Which brings me to the point of this thread.

When I ordered my '15 Stingray coupe I knew it was a great car and that I'd love it. After all, I'd seen the C7 in person on several occasions including at two different museum bashes and several auto shows. Heck, thanks to good friend Paul Pearson (known here as talon90) I'd even gotten to drive one (Paul's Stingray) before ordering so I had a good sense for how much better the Stingray was in pretty much every way vs. my '05. What I wasn't prepared for was just how much I'd love the car after finally taking delivery. It has vastly exceeded my expectations and my expectations were high.

My Stingray is pretty much middle of the road. It's a Z51 coupe, 2LT, 7-speed, with navigation / PDR and magnetic ride. I didn't pop the extra several grand for 3LT (though sometimes I wish that I did) and I went with the standard painted roof panel and wheels. Other than occasionally wishing that I'd gone with 3LT, I have no regrets and would order the car the same way if I had it to do over again. (In an absolute sense I like my 2LT interior just fine; only when I compare it side-by-side with a 3LT do I sometimes wish I'd have gone 3LT.)

I've had my Stingray for just shy of three months and it has around 1150 miles on it. It has completely blown me away with how great of a car it is. To my eyes, it looks as good as any mega-buck exotic out there, bar none. I love the crisp lines, the contours, the LED lighting, the styling cues that are departures from what used to be expected on Corvettes e.g. the taillights, rear side quarter windows, and flat rear window. Then there's the interior. Everything you touch feels good and reeks of high quality. The seats are comfortable and sturdy. The MyLink system, while not perfect, works well and does things that I never imagined (e.g. play and display text messages, place phone calls by voice command). The audio system is way improved over that in my C6 and actually sounds good to my ears.

Then there's the driving experience. While my C6 was no slouch, this car is obviously in an entirely different league. The enormous (to me at least) torque of the LT1, the variable feel of the electric power steering, the magnetic ride control, and the sounds that are emitted from the NPP exhaust combine to provide a driving experience that must be experienced to be understood. There's no way I could articulate to anyone what it feels like to be behind the wheel of this magnificent machine. That Chevrolet can put out a car like this at such a reasonable price point is something that defies all logic IMO.

When I got home from a drive earlier today I pulled into the garage and took a little time to go over the exterior with a little microfiber and detail spray. As I was shining her up I realized that to me this car is a dream come true; I love driving it, I love shining it up, and I love just looking at it. To say that I'm emotionally attached to it would be a huge understatement. Even though it's just a 2LT Z51, I couldn't love it any more if it was a 3LZ Z06. Hopefully others here are fortunate enough to feel the same about their cars of choice!

Me too!!! Except I got the very, the Z51 package and the 3LT.
I love it and can't wait for spring
Old 12-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Big Silver
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto !

Get notified of new replies

To I never thought I'd ever love a car this much

Old 12-03-2014, 09:56 AM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
I have much more respect for the hard working person who gets his dream car and appreciates it than the spoiled wealthy guy who buys and sells exotics on a whim.

How do you think the guy got wealthy in the first place? By not working hard? So Steve Jobs, Mark Cuban, Bill Gates etc...

Last edited by red2012; 12-03-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:08 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 456 Posts

I'm more than satisfied with my C7 1LT no options.I've put about $5,000 in it and will
Spend another $10,000 to get it close to the power of the Z06.Doing it on the cheap.
But I won't do the suspension.Maybe will have A chance on the 1/4 mile.
Anyway you have A nice car.Like the color.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:23 AM
StevieK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice write-up Mike. Your emotional tie to your car is not sappy at all. Enjoy the ride for years to come.

Quick Reply: I never thought I'd ever love a car this much