C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I let my mother-in-law drive my car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 03:19 AM
janicept
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Should I let my mother-in-law drive my car?

Let's start a new thread for everyone that wants to talk about this. In my situation the C6/C7 is considered my car. My husband and I keep separate finances except for one small joint account for house/vacation type stuff. He drives his 2004 Nissan Frontier, has conservative investment style, and cares nothing about driving a nice looking/high performance vehicle. The only times my husband drives the C6/C7: if he has to move it to get the riding lawnmower out of the garage, if I've had even one glass of wine he will drive us home, or driving home from vacation and I get too tired to drive (which hardly ever happens). In the entire 250K miles added to my C6 I would guess my husband drove about 5K of those miles. The only other people that drove my car were valets and mechanics. When someone asks if they can drive my car it's simple - my husband hardly ever drives my car so "No". If I mess up my car fine, but I would be so irritated if I let someone else drive for fun and they scratched the wheel or worse. If you want to drive one go to the dealer and get a test drive.

Now it would be different if the C6/C7 was considered "our" car. In that case I would have to be ok with my husband letting whomever drive it because it's his car too. I'm glad that's not the case.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:43 AM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

All my good friends drove my c6 if they were at my home visiting, and several have driven my c7 now that I have her.

So I suppose, if I had a mother in law and she wanted to drive my c7, I'd let her.

Not that it matters, but is your car a c6 or a c7?
Old 11-29-2014, 05:54 AM
janicept
Racer

Originally Posted by oyealiz
All my good friends drove my c6 if they were at my home visiting, and several have driven my c7 now that I have her.

So I suppose, if I had a mother in law and she wanted to drive my c7, I'd let her.

Not that it matters, but is your car a c6 or a c7?
Just sold the C6 and ordered C7 so same rules will apply to the new one.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:27 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

I would not let my MIL drive my car. No chance in hell and my wife knows my mind on this so it would never be an issue. I'd be hard pressed to let others drive my C7, I have let my wife and i think she could sense my worry when I was in the passenger seat so I think she's had her fill. She asks every once in a while if she could take my car and my response remains the same, "if you can remember to not park the Hyundai on the curb every time, then maybe."
Old 11-29-2014, 06:51 AM
USAF
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I won't let my Son in Law drive my C-6.

USAF
Old 11-29-2014, 07:33 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Depends how deep MIL pockets are and to what extent she would "make it right" were she to do something bad to the car. Also - do you like her and trust her?
Old 11-29-2014, 07:54 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I enjoy having friends drive my corvettes.....but my mother in law? Or my father in law? Not a chance in hell...

Why would that old bat want to squeeze her fat @ss in my car anyway? ...( kidding of course but no I wouldn't let my mother in law drive my car....and just so I'm being fair..,not my 82 year old mother either...
Old 11-29-2014, 08:03 AM
Sneed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't feel comfortable with other people driving your car out on the streets, then you should not make an exception with your MIL.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:45 AM
janicept
Racer

Originally Posted by mksz51
Depends how deep MIL pockets are and to what extent she would "make it right" were she to do something bad to the car. Also - do you like her and trust her?
I know I would have bad feelings if something would happen so I don't let anyone but my husband drive it - and he drives like a Gramma. I guess it's kind of the same way I feel about giving someone a loan. Don't loan someone money if you really need to get that money back. Don't let someone drive your car because you don't know what they would do if something happened to it. Just my personal feeling.

The mother-in-law thing was just in reference to that year old thread that everyone is commenting on lately even though the guy apparently sold his car shortly after the situation. My mother-in-law has never asked to drive my car. I almost commented on that thread myself then noticed the original post was a year old.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:50 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

My wife loves to drive my C6 and will drive the C7 also. She loves the Corvettes as much as I do. But when it comes to her mother, I am sorry, but there is not a chance that it will ever happen. Nice lady and all, but is to used to driving suv's. Don't want my car parked on the curb, or in someones yard.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:04 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

It's only a car. I offer anyone I know a chance to drive it. It's the biggest thrill many of them have had in a car.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:10 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by janicept
I know I would have bad feelings if something would happen so I don't let anyone but my husband drive it - and he drives like a Gramma. I guess it's kind of the same way I feel about giving someone a loan. Don't loan someone money if you really need to get that money back. Don't let someone drive your car because you don't know what they would do if something happened to it. Just my personal feeling.

The mother-in-law thing was just in reference to that year old thread that everyone is commenting on lately even though the guy apparently sold his car shortly after the situation. My mother-in-law has never asked to drive my car. I almost commented on that thread myself then noticed the original post was a year old.
I completely understand you concerns. If I have similar reservations, I would do exactly the same as you.

If a situation like that arose for me with a friend, I'd explain that I value the relationship too much to let driving a car come between us.

If something were to happen I couldn't in good conscience make you pay for any issues or repairs, but would be unable to dismiss the issue mentally.

So rather than running the risk of marring our relations how about I take you for a ride instead, and we'll catch some lunch (my treat)?

Hopefully the requesting person would understand your position and let it drop. If they don't, then they have a real problem.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:15 AM
TKay
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 11-29-2014, 09:33 AM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
It's only a car. I offer anyone I know a chance to drive it. It's the biggest thrill many of them have had in a car.
100%
Old 11-29-2014, 09:50 AM
janicept
Racer

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
No way man. If it's only a car then they should have one themselves. Most of the people that do ask to drive it could never afford one and they surely don't expect me to let them. The only time someone in my family came close to asking to drive it was my mother asking if I was going to let my sister drive it and she shook her head "no" that she was not asking to drive it. That's what test drives at a dealership are for. Don't be driving my car.

A lot of people ask if I can take them for a ride. If I'm going somewhere they are going fine but this is not a carnival ride people. Like they expect you just to drive around in a circle for 5 miles or so - silly. That's partly why I don't drive a car with a back seat so I don't have to cart people around. I'll let someone look at it all day though. See I'm not all bad.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:53 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Your car, your money, 100% your decision. Shouldn't matter whether it's a Yaris, a C7 or a Porsche 918.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 11-29-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:01 AM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Several of our friends drove the new Laguna blue C7 within a few days of us getting it. Of course all of them have Corvettes or other high performance cars so they knew how to treat it.

Get notified of new replies

To Should I let my mother-in-law drive my car?

Old 11-29-2014, 10:01 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by janicept
No way man. If it's only a car then they should have one themselves. Most of the people that do ask to drive it could never afford one and they surely don't expect me to let them. The only time someone in my family came close to asking to drive it was my mother asking if I was going to let my sister drive it and she shook her head "no" that she was not asking to drive it. That's what test drives at a dealership are for. Don't be driving my car.

A lot of people ask if I can take them for a ride. If I'm going somewhere they are going fine but this is not a carnival ride people. Like they expect you just to drive around in a circle for 5 miles or so - silly. That's partly why I don't drive a car with a back seat so I don't have to cart people around. I'll let someone look at it all day though. See I'm not all bad.
Captured my perspective exactly!
Old 11-29-2014, 10:12 AM
2014C7
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

If someone has to ask, theres the answer. Also in the mc world you don't even touch or sit on someone else's bike. Anyone who does is considered a rookie in my book. And sitting on my fender will **** me off. Any car I own. Its a car not a chair.

Do what you want its your car.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:16 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

a second thread for this nonsense ?? lol

Quick Reply: Should I let my mother-in-law drive my car?