New Dealer Allocation Rules: Need Clarification

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 12:03 AM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
I think there is something going on this Thursday, but I'm not sure. Oh, yeah. Thanksgiving. Chevrolet does their consensus on a Thursday, but not necessarily every Thursday. There have been a number of weeks since the start of the model year, where there were no allocations, or only export allocations.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:53 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by VINDIC8R
Sounds like Joe the Corvette Buyer has no say in buying a Corvette "locally". That is, if Joe the Corvette Buyer has a mitt full of cash to spend, his going to his local dealer and saying order me one in red may not happen solely because his local dealer had not sold enough previously? So much for respecting the customer. If this is true, it should not be bewildering to GM why Corvette "wanters" buy Porsches.

Am I understanding this correctly?
I don't work in the car business, but have spent the last 26 years in business. Rule number one: IF THE CUSTOMER WANTS TO BUY YOUR PRODUCT, SELL IT TO HIM. I don't (and never will) understand GM's business model. Of course there can be supplier problems, but if the customer wants to buy a product that can be manufactured, sell it to him.

"GM should break down Corvette allocations into two groups Sold Orders---Stock Orders All sold orders should get pulled first and built with the options the customer orders. Then stock orders next and put the constraints on stock orders."

Big dealers are getting "inventory" orders while small dealers are sitting with sold orders that aren't filled. Does this make sense to anybody?

Last edited by Cosmo Kramer; 01-31-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:39 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Now that we have survived the initial ZO6 build, those of us who have had Z51 orders from large Forum dealers, are finally getting our toys.

The issues appears to be caused by GM wanting to build every Z06 that they can, due to the profit margins. That means, they are constrained by the amount of engines available. Since there are many similar parts on Z51 and Z06, plus customers will buy whatever the dealer has, especially because of ZF1 option,the Z51 orders have been constrained by GM allocation process.

I look at many dealers inventory and it really seems weird. Karl Chevy in Iowa has 47 Corvettes in stock (6 of which are loaded 2014 Automatic Conv's). They sold 69 Corvettes in the first 1/2 of 14'. Many dealers who sold more cars have very small inventories, especially the southern and western dealers who enjoy warm weather in the winter. WHY???

My dealer had been getting Z51's within 6 weeks. I waited 5 days, and that cost me many weeks of fun. My car took 13 weeks from order to dealer thanks to GM. I thought this was going to be the NEW GM... but it appears I was wrong.

Maybe "Turn and Earn" will help, but it's sorta like Target stores determining their next weeks labor hours based on last weeks. A bad week screws their lack of employees when they need them. Same for dealers needing cars!

Old 02-01-2015, 12:22 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 C5
I don't work in the car business, but have spent the last 26 years in business. Rule number one: IF THE CUSTOMER WANTS TO BUY YOUR PRODUCT, SELL IT TO HIM. I don't (and never will) understand GM's business model. Of course there can be supplier problems, but if the customer wants to buy a product that can be manufactured, sell it to him.

"GM should break down Corvette allocations into two groups Sold Orders---Stock Orders All sold orders should get pulled first and built with the options the customer orders. Then stock orders next and put the constraints on stock orders."

Big dealers are getting "inventory" orders while small dealers are sitting with sold orders that aren't filled. Does this make sense to anybody?
How would you propose that GM verify that an order is for a pre-sold car?
Old 02-01-2015, 12:40 AM
Thrill6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Technically every Corvette that is built is already sold.... to the dealer that ordered it.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:59 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrill6
Technically every Corvette that is built is already sold.... to the dealer that ordered it.
Yes, I know. That's not what 03 C5 was referring to, though. BTW, I'm in complete agreement that a pre-sold customer order from Dealer A should take precedence over a stock order from Dealer B regardless of any type of allocation system. The problem is that even if GM wanted to do this, how would they verify that a particular order was in fact a pre-sold customer order? I for one can't come up with a process that wouldn't be easily defeatable. Just a thought.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:50 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Drifting

Originally Posted by mpuzach
A signed purchase order and proof of deposit?
Old 02-01-2015, 08:36 AM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 C5
A signed purchase order and proof of deposit?
I was just thinking the same thing, since that's what we have to do, to "place a specific" order with a dealer". The only thing with that would be, it would be near impossible to get your deposit back if this were the case.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:14 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 964 Likes on 501 Posts
Tech Contributor

again see post #12

Last edited by Glen e; 02-01-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:18 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Drifting

Glen e.........Excellent "other-side of the equation" explanation.

I love this analogy: "You can't eat like an elephant and sh** like a bird for long." Funny and accurate.

Anyway, I've cancelled my order with my local dealer and bought a car from a large dealer 500 miles away (he had what I wanted in stock.) Either way, GM wins. I guess for not "playing ball" my local dealer lost a sale.

Last edited by Cosmo Kramer; 02-01-2015 at 05:21 PM.

Quick Reply: New Dealer Allocation Rules: Need Clarification