C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We all know the Corvette as North America's supercar, but international trendsetter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 10:11 AM
0Livernois Motorsports
Supporting Tuner

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Default We all know the Corvette as North America's supercar, but international trendsetter?

To save weight (approximately 1.1 pounds) and reduce complexity, the new Corvette uses a smart material wire to operate a cabin vent in the cargo area that required a motorized actuator on previous models. Triggered by the opening of the hatch, heat generated by an electrical current similar to that of a interior courtesy lamp is used to contract a wire, thereby moving a lever that opens the vent, letting air escape to reduce cabin pressure and make shutting the lid easier. Once the hatch is closed, the current cuts off, the wire returns to its original shape, and a return spring closes the vent to maintain cabin temperature.

GM has earned 247 patents for smart materials such as this over five years of research and development, and it figures there are approximately 200 motorized systems in the typical vehicle that could be replaced with smart materials. Typically made of copper-aluminum-nickel or nickel-titanium, smart materials can change their shape, strength, and/or stiffness when acted upon by heat, stress, a magnetic field, or voltage, and return to their original shape when the trigger is deactivated.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:28 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

If it is so smart why do you have to slam the deck lid?
The C6 had a nice closing system, and at about 1 pound it is 16 ounces that should have worked its way onto the new platform. Save weight some where else, lighter material for the exhaust system maybe. Or just a louder stock exhaust, no NPP.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:32 AM
0Livernois Motorsports
Supporting Tuner

Originally Posted by rcooper
The C6 had a nice closing system, and at about 1 pound it is 16 ounces that should have worked its way onto the new platform. Save weight some where else, lighter material for the exhaust system maybe. Or just a louder stock exhaust, no NPP.
I can't speak to the "smart" part. Well the C5 closed like garbage too. The C7 is also the first with a rear weight bias. NOW THAT WAS SMART!
Old 11-14-2014, 10:56 AM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 503 Likes on 347 Posts

epic fail.....sounds hi tech....miserable failure imo
Old 11-14-2014, 12:39 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

GM has had a lot of cool innovations over the years, Some successful, some not so much. This one unfortunately failed, it does not sufficiently relieve pressure to allow the hatch to close easily.

GM put out a lot of publicity last year about this innovative feature but quit talking about it after customer dissatisfaction surfaced. If they want to avoid the expense and complexity of a hatch pull down motor perhaps they should just program the windows to drop a couple inches when the hatch is open.

Since 1963 there have been a number of Corvette models with rear weight bias but GM has now chosen to advertise it. Their statement that the C7 is the first is inaccurate.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:16 PM
0Livernois Motorsports
Supporting Tuner

Originally Posted by bbrown450
epic fail.....sounds hi tech....miserable failure imo
I can honestly say that the C7 is LIGHT YEARS better than the C6 IMO. The C7 reconfirmed my love of the crossed flags!

You still can't fit anything back there...so why open it lol

Last edited by Livernois Motorsports; 11-14-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:17 PM
0Livernois Motorsports
Supporting Tuner

Originally Posted by ZL-1
GM has had a lot of cool innovations over the years, Some successful, some not so much. This one unfortunately failed, it does not sufficiently relieve pressure to allow the hatch to close easily.

GM put out a lot of publicity last year about this innovative feature but quit talking about it after customer dissatisfaction surfaced. If they want to avoid the expense and complexity of a hatch pull down motor perhaps they should just program the windows to drop a couple inches when the hatch is open.

Since 1963 there have been a number of Corvette models with rear weight bias but GM has now chosen to advertise it. Their statement that the C7 is the first is inaccurate.

The C7 is just the second-ever production Corvette with a rear weight bias.

Although Chevrolet claims a straight-up 50/50 weight distribution, our scales demonstrated a rearward weight bias, with 49.4 percent sitting over the front axle and 50.6 to the rear. That makes it and the C2 the only Corvettes to tip the scales to the stern. (And, yes, we’re aware the C6.R competition Corvette also did so; we’re talking strictly production models.)
Old 11-14-2014, 04:49 PM
SteveSoCal
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Livernois Motorsports
The C7 is just the second-ever production Corvette with a rear weight bias.

Although Chevrolet claims a straight-up 50/50 weight distribution, our scales demonstrated a rearward weight bias, with 49.4 percent sitting over the front axle and 50.6 to the rear. That makes it and the C2 the only Corvettes to tip the scales to the stern. (And, yes, we’re aware the C6.R competition Corvette also did so; we’re talking strictly production models.)
Not only static F/R weight bias,
they went to heroic length to center
the mass in the wheelbase.

I sing their praise for it...
Old 11-14-2014, 05:09 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Could of saved a few more pounds with the removal of the smart wire system all together.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:17 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
Could of saved a few more pounds with the removal of the smart wire system all together.
I agree, it's totally useless.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:30 PM
es
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To save weight (approximately 1.1 pounds) and reduce complexity, the new Corvette uses a smart material wire to operate a cabin vent in the cargo area that required a motorized actuator on previous models. Triggered by the opening of the hatch, heat generated by an electrical current similar to that of a interior courtesy lamp is used to contract a wire, thereby moving a lever that opens the vent, letting air escape to reduce cabin pressure and make shutting the lid easier. Once the hatch is closed, the current cuts off, the wire returns to its original shape, and a return spring closes the vent to maintain cabin temperature.

GM has earned 247 patents for smart materials such as this over five years of research and development, and it figures there are approximately 200 motorized systems in the typical vehicle that could be replaced with smart materials. Typically made of copper-aluminum-nickel or nickel-titanium, smart materials can change their shape, strength, and/or stiffness when acted upon by heat, stress, a magnetic field, or voltage, and return to their original shape when the trigger is deactivated.
Just think of what an operational marvel our cars would be if all 200 of the motorized systems were replaced with smart materials that work as well as the hatch vents
Old 11-14-2014, 06:57 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I can honestly say that the C7 is LIGHT YEARS better than the C6 IMO. The C7 reconfirmed my love of the crossed flags!

I'm pretty sure my C6 Z06 has a rear weight bias and it utilizes a low tech vent that opens to relieve the air pressure when shutting the hatch. According to Dave Hill at the NCM Birthday bash April,2005, the 2006 Z06 has a 49.3/50.7 weight distribution with no driver. With a 180 pound driver aboard, it becomes 49.7/50.3.

As you know the later C6 Z06's gained weight but most of it was at the rear of the car. The beefed up TR6060 in my 09 Z06 weighs more than the 06's T56, the beefed up differential, and axles weigh more than those in the 06 and the added sound deadening was in the rear of my Z06. That means my 09 would have even greater rear bias than the 06's 49.3/50.7. Even the later Z06's had an optional CF hood and CF roof panel that shifted the weight of the car rearward, beating the C7's weight distribution even more.

Do you have any proof that the C7 beats those numbers? All I can find is that the base C7 is 50.5/49.5, the Z51 is 51/49 and the C7 Z06 is 51.5/48.5.

Oh, in addition to the C2, the 1968 C3 with a 327/350HP had a weight distribution of 49/51 with the driver on board according to a R&T road test back then.

I have no problem carrying everything I need to fit back there, including a short step stool and a bucket full of car cleaning supplies with a bunch of old towels, a fairly large cooler, a duffle bag full of tools including a jack, and enough clothes for a 15 day 6414 mile road trip, without having to stop at a laundrymat to wash clothes. During the past three years I have driven in 32 states in my Z06 without having to ship clothes, etc. ahead of me to the various motels because of "limited" space in the rear of my car.

I have another car to use when I need to carry some 8' lumber home from Lowes.

Last edited by JoesC5; 11-14-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:06 PM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

oh contrare....2 sets of golf clubs and 2 duffels adequate for 2 people for a week or so.....pretty good id say!
Old 11-14-2014, 07:07 PM
BelchfireV8
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcooper
I LOVE my exhaust! And I get a bang out of using the rear lid.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:01 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I laugh when people bring up weight bias, what good is having 50/50 when the fuel tank is empty and there's no driver, change both those and you can kiss your 50/50 goodbye.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:48 AM
0Livernois Motorsports
Supporting Tuner

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I'm pretty sure my C6 Z06 has a rear weight bias and it utilizes a low tech vent that opens to relieve the air pressure when shutting the hatch. According to Dave Hill at the NCM Birthday bash April,2005, the 2006 Z06 has a 49.3/50.7 weight distribution with no driver. With a 180 pound driver aboard, it becomes 49.7/50.3.

As you know the later C6 Z06's gained weight but most of it was at the rear of the car. The beefed up TR6060 in my 09 Z06 weighs more than the 06's T56, the beefed up differential, and axles weigh more than those in the 06 and the added sound deadening was in the rear of my Z06. That means my 09 would have even greater rear bias than the 06's 49.3/50.7. Even the later Z06's had an optional CF hood and CF roof panel that shifted the weight of the car rearward, beating the C7's weight distribution even more.

Do you have any proof that the C7 beats those numbers? All I can find is that the base C7 is 50.5/49.5, the Z51 is 51/49 and the C7 Z06 is 51.5/48.5.

Oh, in addition to the C2, the 1968 C3 with a 327/350HP had a weight distribution of 49/51 with the driver on board according to a R&T road test back then.

I have no problem carrying everything I need to fit back there, including a short step stool and a bucket full of car cleaning supplies with a bunch of old towels, a fairly large cooler, a duffle bag full of tools including a jack, and enough clothes for a 15 day 6414 mile road trip, without having to stop at a laundrymat to wash clothes. During the past three years I have driven in 32 states in my Z06 without having to ship clothes, etc. ahead of me to the various motels because of "limited" space in the rear of my car.

I have another car to use when I need to carry some 8' lumber home from Lowes.
Those stats actually came from Car&Driver July 11th.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:50 AM
0Livernois Motorsports
Supporting Tuner

Originally Posted by Bill B 1
oh contrare....2 sets of golf clubs and 2 duffels adequate for 2 people for a week or so.....pretty good id say!
We fit a few microfiber towels some washless detail and awards in our hatch. Filling up the passenger seat doesn't count guys
Old 11-15-2014, 10:01 AM
0Livernois Motorsports
Supporting Tuner

Originally Posted by BelchfireV8
I LOVE my exhaust! And I get a bang out of using the rear lid.
The sound of pure power is crazy...ours is a head, cam, header, tune, intake and exhaust car. And when you really put your foot into it you feel like you're coming out of the hairpin at Laguna Seca racing towards the finish line!
Old 11-15-2014, 10:13 AM
0Livernois Motorsports
Supporting Tuner

Originally Posted by themonk
I laugh when people bring up weight bias, what good is having 50/50 when the fuel tank is empty and there's no driver, change both those and you can kiss your 50/50 goodbye.
True, but according to their test the car was drive ready.

Get notified of new replies

To We all know the Corvette as North America's supercar, but international trendsetter?

Quick Reply: We all know the Corvette as North America's supercar, but international trendsetter?