First drive with Pirelli snow/cold temps tires on my Z51...my observations

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 08:09 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,646 Likes on 6,645 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
Hopefully you aren't actually believing this......an all wheel drive ANYTHING will still outdrive your all seasons on a RWD car when you have greater than 1/2 inch of snow.
When managing and R&D lab in a small town on Lake Erie one of the young enginners with his 4 wheel drive vehicle was always getting pulled out of a ditch! I reminded him we all have 4 wheel brakes and if going to fast, nothing stops on ice!
Old 11-13-2014, 08:20 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
I'd put money on it that he's serious. I'm in for the after wrecked pics.

Read the post again, the OP has true winter tires, not all season tires. Of course his comment was somewhat tongue in cheek but a C7 with true winter tires will outperform a soccer mom's all wheel drive with crap, half worn all season tires and as Jerry pointed out, stopping is the thing that usually catches out fools in AWD vehicles who thing they are impervious to the weather.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:21 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Not sure if the OP got snow tires or all season tires. Even with snows a rwd car is not going to go past AWD cars in the snow,especially on an incline. I wouldn't drive a C7 in the snow unless I had no other choice-even if you are carefull the next guy can slide into your car.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:30 AM
cmicasa
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
I'll follow up with more info once the crap weather hits....should be fun driving past all the 4 wheel drive trucks who think they are King of the Road.
I laughed my *** off when I read this.

Classic. That being said.. I'll be SMH seeing U driving a 2inch off the ground RWD Sports car with 460HP thru 2+ Inches of snow while I'm 4X4 in this:

Old 11-13-2014, 08:31 AM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by A Solid Rock
Took the car to work today, no issues with the OEM tires here in Central Florida!

Cheers.
Right! Brought mine to FL condo this winter. C7 is way too much fun to drive to watch it sit in MI garage all winter when I go home for a few days. Of course now I have to worry about ocean salt spray getting on it--it's always something!

Be careful on the Michelin tires in cold weather. It was 28 degrees one morning at hotel on trip down here. Cold tires were noticeably slicker than normal. Took about 50 miles of (careful) driving before they went to Warm.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:38 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
When managing and R&D lab in a small town on Lake Erie one of the young enginners with his 4 wheel drive vehicle was always getting pulled out of a ditch! I reminded him we all have 4 wheel brakes and if going to fast, nothing stops on ice!
No argument here - There is no doubt that the "explosion" of 4WD / AWD vehicles has caused many drivers (especially new to 4WD / AWD) to "overdrive" the conditions - they go like crazy but still don't stop any better (and are likely WORSE at stopping due to higher weight and higher center of gravity). That said - as long as I live in the snowbelt I will NEVER own a daily driver that isn't 4WD / AWD. If you really have to get around (like to work, I work in healthcare and I'm depended on to be at the hospital) the ability to get around confidently is priceless. For years I drove a 3 series BMW (RWD) and put REAL winter tires on - it was pretty good. Then we drove an Audi with quattro and now Mercedes with 4Matic for our daily driver - you absolutely cannot beat 4WD / AWD in snow.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:51 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
but a C7 with true winter tires will outperform a soccer mom's all wheel drive with crap, half worn all season tires
This is the entire point - it actually WON'T (from an ability to move forward standpoint). I've had both (RWD and AWD, NOT the soccer mom stuff!) so I do speak from experience. Another point most are missing - the Vette has a low profile, wide tire. Most AWD vehicles will have a tall narrow tire - which one do you think will tend to ride on top of the snow vs. bite down into the snow? This is also a huge factor in traction (plus most AWD vehicles will weigh more than the Vette - think about the surface area of the contact patch and weight and the "pounds per square inch" of force on the snow).

You can try to argue around this - but you'll be wrong.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:29 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,366 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
Read the post again, the OP has true winter tires, not all season tires. Of course his comment was somewhat tongue in cheek but a C7 with true winter tires will outperform a soccer mom's all wheel drive with crap, half worn all season tires and as Jerry pointed out, stopping is the thing that usually catches out fools in AWD vehicles who thing they are impervious to the weather.
up here you know who you see in the ditches on the snowy mornings? Soccer moms and redneck 4X4's
Old 11-13-2014, 09:58 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,366 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by cmicasa
I laughed my *** off when I read this.

Classic. That being said.. I'll be SMH seeing U driving a 2inch off the ground RWD Sports car with 460HP thru 2+ Inches of snow while I'm 4X4 in this:

2 inches

Enjoy your soccer van.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:02 AM
cmicasa
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
2 inches

Enjoy your soccer van.
Yeah.. a GMC Yukon is considered a Soccer van? Makes sense if I was an idiot. So for U.. I will. I have never driven my Vette or VSeries in the Snow. I purchased specific vehicles for certain weather. The Yukon.. and my DD Impala do the job quite nice.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:02 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This is the entire point - it actually WON'T (from an ability to move forward standpoint). I've had both (RWD and AWD, NOT the soccer mom stuff!) so I do speak from experience. Another point most are missing - the Vette has a low profile, wide tire. Most AWD vehicles will have a tall narrow tire - which one do you think will tend to ride on top of the snow vs. bite down into the snow? This is also a huge factor in traction (plus most AWD vehicles will weigh more than the Vette - think about the surface area of the contact patch and weight and the "pounds per square inch" of force on the snow).

I don't disagree with what you are saying and I believe the OP was being dramatic, i.e. a bit tongue in cheek with his comment.

BTW, I've driven sports cars in knee deep snow and while it's not the best tool for the job, if properly equipped and driven within reason you will get from point A to point B. You don't NEED a bad *** 4WD to negotiate the snow belt, it's just easier of you do. Hell, I remember stoping near Donner pass at least 4 times a winter to put cable chains on my 944 so I could get over the pass into Tahoe to ski. Back then I didn't have multiple cars, I drove the one I owned 12 months of the year. As we get older and perhaps more successful we sometimes forget that not everyone that owns a Corvette has a fleet of vehicles to choose from.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:28 AM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Installed the tires yesterday on our last mild day, ....mid 50s. 35* today in Michigan, dry pavement. Here's what I noticed:

1) Car is so much quieter...I would never have realized how loud the stock tires were until changing them out. I am hearing all sorts of different sounds I did not know were there. Even the NPP sounds way different...almost Maserati-ish....I like it a lot more now that I know what it really sounds like.

2) Just a trace of under-steer with the new rubber....really surprised me how driveable the car is without the stock tires. I pushed it quite a bit and had no problems in tight turns.

3) The tires actually look badass! All those sipes along the outside give a cool look to the car.

4) Of course, all the tire chatter when backing/turning is gone.

As a bonus, Pirelli sent me a $50 gift card that I wasn't expecting, as well as a winter car care package with a duffle bag, flashlight, ice scraper, etc. nice touch!

I'll follow up with more info once the crap weather hits....should be fun driving past all the 4 wheel drive trucks who think they are King of the Road. If you live in the snowbelt and are on the fence, go for it...the peace of mind is priceless.
What model of tires did you get because I have all-season Pirelli PZERO tires on my daily driver car and I like them !!! Wayne
Old 11-13-2014, 01:34 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Agree 100%-We have a steep inclined driveway and I had a RWD Infinity with brand new Dunlop snows which had more problems going up the driveway than my wife's AWD Lexus with so so all seasons.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:58 PM
Fastdart69
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my Z51 out probably for the last time before next Spring and there noticably less traction, tires never warmed up. Central Illinois and 31 degrees. Even leaving a stop light there was light tire spin.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:53 PM
Brockman66
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed the tires yesterday on our last mild day, ....mid 50s. 35* today in Michigan, dry pavement. Here's what I noticed:

1) Car is so much quieter...I would never have realized how loud the stock tires were until changing them out. I am hearing all sorts of different sounds I did not know were there. Even the NPP sounds way different...almost Maserati-ish....I like it a lot more now that I know what it really sounds like.

2) Just a trace of under-steer with the new rubber....really surprised me how driveable the car is without the stock tires. I pushed it quite a bit and had no problems in tight turns.

3) The tires actually look badass! All those sipes along the outside give a cool look to the car.

4) Of course, all the tire chatter when backing/turning is gone.

As a bonus, Pirelli sent me a $50 gift card that I wasn't expecting, as well as a winter car care package with a duffle bag, flashlight, ice scraper, etc. nice touch!

I'll follow up with more info once the crap weather hits....should be fun driving past all the 4 wheel drive trucks who think they are King of the Road. If you live in the snowbelt and are on the fence, go for it...the peace of mind is priceless.
You should slap a plow on that bad boy and show those trucks who's boss!
Old 11-13-2014, 04:57 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Congratulations on using your corvette in all but ridiculous snow that we probably would stay home with any common sense at all.

Thanks for sharing. I always use my corvette all year long.

In the north east..... I stay home maybe 4 days a year.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:00 PM
red1996lt4
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

My Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires were installed this past Monday. I've since driven about 500 miles in rain, some slush and some dry pavement. Tire Rack recommends a 500 mile break-in period so I've tried to avoid a lot of "spirited" driving. The A/S tires do seem somewhat quieter than the summer tires but not a lot. The summer tires seemed to lose traction as the temperature dropped. The A/S tires seem to grip better in the less than 20F temps.

Get notified of new replies

To First drive with Pirelli snow/cold temps tires on my Z51...my observations

Old 11-30-2014, 03:57 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by red1996lt4
My Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires were installed this past Monday. I've since driven about 500 miles in rain, some slush and some dry pavement. Tire Rack recommends a 500 mile break-in period so I've tried to avoid a lot of "spirited" driving. The A/S tires do seem somewhat quieter than the summer tires but not a lot. The summer tires seemed to lose traction as the temperature dropped. The A/S tires seem to grip better in the less than 20F temps.
That's what I'm hoping for, and to avoid any "cracking". My A/S 3's go on tomorrow.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:08 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

I have Pirelli Sotozero Snow Tires on my Boss 302 Mustang (2nd yr for them). My year round driver.
They are great in the snow, never got stuck in last years bad Michigan Winter.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:33 PM
JCar
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of opinions here, so I'll provide mine. All seasons are really a compromise tire. Do "ok" in summer and "ok" in winter. If you only have one set of tires, they may be a good compromise. If you have two sets, why would you compromise? A good summer tire and a good winter tire will perform best in the conditions that they are intended to be used in. A winter tire - almost any brand - will out perform an all season tire in temps below 20 degrees. THe compound is such that it stays compliant in cold temps. That compliance translates into traction. All seasons, while certainly better than a summer compound, will provide less traction because the all season, trying to be "all things" will be a less compliant tire in cold temps.

So the winter tire for the winter and the summer tire for the summer - unless you only have one tire, then the all season bridges the two but does neither as well as a dedicated tire. Easy eh?

Oh, and as for the expense of another set, please do consider that you are only wearing the set that are on the car (duh). So you will get more winters out of your winter tires and more summers out of your summer tires. Suer, you are paying for changeover or for another set of wheels and maybe for storage of them if you don't have the room, but having tires specifically designed for the winter or summer will be a big plus. It also keeps you summer wheels pristine and free of salt pitting (nasty).

Of course, all this applies only when you actually have seasons - you folks in So. Cal, FL, or places like that, I hope you didn't wast any time in this thread in the first place!

<stepping down from soap box>

Jeff

Quick Reply: First drive with Pirelli snow/cold temps tires on my Z51...my observations