C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7,500 mile service: paid full price for Mobil 1 Synthetic..

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 04:20 PM
ltfun
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok can anyone tell me how do you know if the dealer realy uses mobil 1? my c4 called for mobil 1 only c7 just calls for dexos???????? realy I thought mobil and corvette were a team ??
Old 11-12-2014, 04:46 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 456 Posts

Does anyone know what oil they put in the C7's at the factory?
Old 11-12-2014, 04:52 PM
S/C 5.0
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Correct Filter

I took only the Mobile 1 filter and my dealer put the filter on and added 9,8 qrts, of mobile 1 for free

Last edited by S/C 5.0; 11-12-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:59 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Mythird1
My local dealer in AZ (bought mine from Kerbeck) charged me $30 extra for Mobil1, but I've heard some people say they switched to Mobil1 for no up charge. I guess it's up to the dealer to decide what they charge. But one thing is for sure, you should get the first 4 oil changes for free during the first 24 months if you stay with the brand used at the factory.
Same experience here. Probably the same dealership.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:26 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,647 Likes on 6,646 Posts

Originally Posted by xp800
The 2015 manual page reflects the same numbers as the corrected 2014 manual....

10.2 quarts is asking for trouble. Most who take the time to look in their intakes have seen the oil burps firsthand from the overfill, me included.

Plenty of discussion on this if you search. I like many fill with 9-9.4 quarts and have the oil about 1/3 up the hash marks. No more oil burps... This liquid oil in the intake can be a very bad thing if ingested in any quantity in the engine.

I keep my Z51 dry sump 1/2 way in the dip stick hatched area, about a 1/2 quart low. Have burned no significant amount of oil in 13 months and changed the oil once. I did not worry about how much oil I was adding, I used the dip stick! First I had the car level or slightly sloped forward to get all the old oil out. It was on 6 inch high stanchions under the rear tires and slightly lower in the front. The oil was hot when it drained. I waited until it was fully drained and pushed up on the hoses going to the dry sump tank as some have suggested (got little extra out.)
Than I added what was about a full quart low, ran the engine until the oil was hot, shut the engine off, used my watch and waited 5 minutes to check, then checked again. Then filled just to 1/2 way in the hatched area. I have about 1/2 quart left in one of the two Mobile 1 "full synthetic" 5 quart jugs I bought from Walmart.
I have always changed my own oil in all my cars and used the dip stick to define when it was full or where I wanted it to be. From all the posts about overfills with dry sump C7's I would not worry about who told me what or what table says what, use the dip stick! I also check it several times and read both sides of the dip stick. With clean oil I take it outside in the sun to get a good reading.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:46 PM
mykl_shane
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First oil change I told them i wanted Mobil One and was given a bill for over $100. Pointed out the Mobil One recommendation in the owners manual. Said he would talk to the manager of the dealership. I got pissed and told him to just send me the bill. Next time I brought the Mobil One with me and they told me that is was no problem and have always put Mobil One in it since. Just had last free oil change of my 2 year free maintenance.......I drive it a lot......24,000 and counting ......it has been the best year......awesome car

P.S. never received a bill
Old 11-13-2014, 08:05 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate@VanBortelChevy
Correct, factory fill is not Mobil 1 and GM only covers the factory fill (Dexos) under the 2 year free maintenance. We charge customers the cost difference between Dexos and Mobil 1 should they choose a Mobil 1 oil change (usually around $20).
You changed my oil with Mobil 1 (free) when I visited your dealership back in June. I was visiting in the Rochester area at that time from SC. Was this a mistake?

Last edited by Supersonic 427; 11-13-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:53 AM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Supersonic 427
You changed my oil with Mobil 1 (free) when I visited your dealership back in June. I was visiting in the Rochester area at that time from SC. Was this a mistake?
GM allows a dealership to claim a specific $ amount for each oil change under the maintenance program. A Mobil 1 oil change on a Z51 car exceeds the amount. Chances are we dissolved the additional costs when we changed your oil. Like most dealers, we determined the fair thing to do is up-charge the cost difference between Dexos and Mobil 1. I guess you were lucky that day!

Quick Reply: 7,500 mile service: paid full price for Mobil 1 Synthetic..