Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mirror tap for Blendmount on 2015 C7

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 10:10 PM
DurangoKid
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure what has gone wrong. I opted to have a "certified installer" install mine. The problem I am having is the unit doesn't turn on with the first ignition, even the Onstar isn't turning on. Turn the car off, restart it and everything works. This isn't going to work obviously.

What do you think happened? Did they tap into the mirror and not the ignition? I'd like to be able to provide some direction rather than spend the day troubleshooting it with them.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:28 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,837 Likes on 2,075 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by bluman
I followed instructions but I keep blowing fuses (#26)

Purple wire coming in from the top and the black wire? There is a gray wire that might look like a BK wire.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:34 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,837 Likes on 2,075 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Followed instructions and RD powered up but I blew the fuse, I replaced the fuse and all is working, I believe I blew the fuse while enlarging the pin hole with a jewelers screwdriver, my issue and question to all...
are you manually powering up/shutting down the RD ?, in my C6 it shut down as soon as I turned off the ignition, in the C7 not so.
Have I done something wrong ?
Sounds normal to me.

Originally Posted by Flying22low
Mine shuts down and turns on with the car. Sounds like you may have tapped the wrong wire. Did you do mirror or car side?
Is your door open or closed?

We have RAP on the car. If you shut down the car and not open the doors, the accessories will remain hot for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes, the system will shut down. So, you're listening to the radio and turn off the car. The radio will stay on until the RAP 10 minutes elapses and shut down. If you have the door open and shut down, the RAP will not run and everything shuts down at ignition off. If you wait and open the doors before the 10 minutes is up, the RAP will shut down when you open the door.

Elmer
Old 06-25-2015, 02:33 PM
Bruiser2012
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 48 Posts

I'll tell you that I had problems with mine. I had no trouble installing it in my C6, but it took me over and hour on the C7.

The connector is so small and with where it is located, I could not see it well with my bifocals. I got it wrong right from the start by picking the wrong corner as pin one. My pins did not slide right in so it took awhile to work them with a jeweler's screwdriver to make room only to find out it didn't work. Of course I thought the pin wasn't inserted enough so I went back at it with the screwdriver.

I took my glasses off and then I realized I had the wrong locations. I had to start over with the screwdriver in the right pins to make room. Once the pins were in, it worked great and I've had no troubles with anything else misbehaving

Morale of the story, make sure you can see well enough to tell if the wire has a stripe (maybe on the back side) and the chances of success go up greatly!

-Bob George
Old 06-26-2015, 07:35 PM
bluman
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 199 Posts

I followed instructions but I keep blowing fuses (#26)
Turned out that I was tapped into wrong wire, after buying a magnifier lense I was able to tap into the right wires and all good now !
Old 06-26-2015, 07:55 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,937 Likes on 4,816 Posts

Turned out that I was tapped into wrong wire, after buying a magnifier lense I was able to tap into the right wires and all good now !
Glad to hear you got it sorted out.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:04 AM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Do we need the .050 micro or the .050 for 11-13 c6 vette? Are you guys getting 9"or 12" cords?
Old 07-24-2015, 07:44 PM
Gr8Wht
CF Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10-'12

Awesome! I just got a new project......
Old 07-29-2015, 11:27 PM
sigelitest
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Subscribe
Old 07-30-2015, 04:52 PM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FUNC5
Do we need the .050 micro or the .050 for 11-13 c6 vette? Are you guys getting 9"or 12" cords?
I used the 9" cord (on a C7) and it was just about perfect length.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:31 PM
dileonardog
Advanced

I have my valentine one on the blend mount but there is no way I'm messing with the mirror tap.It was easy on my c6 ,but as per blend mount ,the c7 is not mirror tap friendly . Congratulations to you guys that did it.Someone in Florida come do mine please.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:32 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by dileonardog
I have my valentine one on the blend mount but there is no way I'm messing with the mirror tap.It was easy on my c6 ,but as per blend mount ,the c7 is not mirror tap friendly . Congratulations to you guys that did it.Someone in Florida come do mine please.
It is IF you follow these instructions.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:20 PM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The original post and the comments were helpful. The best thing about this thread - no smart a$$ comments, just useful info.

I didn't take off the first cover off and I didn't take the connector apart, but as I struggled with the black mirror tap, I took the connector apart to give me a bit more flexibility. Finally I spread the connector with a fine screw driver and eventually it went in.

Not fun, but done
Old 08-23-2015, 06:06 PM
fstfun2009
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mirror tap for Blendmount on 2015 C7

Mounting my Blendmount and wiretap was easy. Javent ben able to get GPS at all. Blendmount even sent me a new longer arm but still no GPS.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:30 PM
Piranha
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2015, 04:06 PM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by canyon vette
Great post! I'm going to use this method on my 2014 to wire my new passport 9500ix.
Thanks for the info Rx for me.
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You
Old 09-20-2015, 12:00 AM
doclex
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My two cents as an inexperienced owner: took me two hours for the following reasons: I was afraid to pry off the several plastic covers (carefully use a screw driver or knife blade to pry in the joints), used a lot of force to take off that first cover (finally, slowly used a lot of force to pull the tabs out of their sockets with my hands), tried to insert wires without separating the top and bottom of the box but finally figured out how to separate the boxes with the tab that actually face the window (not the driver's side as mentioned in the OP), used a magnifying glass to identify the purple-colored wire (I was trying to insert the wire into the gray-wire socket for 45 minutes as it looks purple to the unaided eye), used a jewelers/eyeglass small-blade screwdriver to create space in the purple wire socket (was hampered because I have no idea what the socket and purple/black line connectors look like; tried prying on several sides of purple socket but didn't get results until I drove the screw driver into the side closest to the black wire and then the prong went in easy). I almost gave up trying to get the connection into the purple wire but just kept messing with it. The OP did a terrific job describing the process but if you are a novice like me that doesn't know the configuration of the sockets it can be daunting.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (09-20-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To Mirror tap for Blendmount on 2015 C7

Old 09-20-2015, 12:30 AM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by doclex
My two cents as an inexperienced owner: took me two hours for the following reasons: I was afraid to pry off the several plastic covers (carefully use a screw driver or knife blade to pry in the joints), used a lot of force to take off that first cover (finally, slowly used a lot of force to pull the tabs out of their sockets with my hands), tried to insert wires without separating the top and bottom of the box but finally figured out how to separate the boxes with the tab that actually face the window (not the driver's side as mentioned in the OP), used a magnifying glass to identify the purple-colored wire (I was trying to insert the wire into the gray-wire socket for 45 minutes as it looks purple to the unaided eye), used a jewelers/eyeglass small-blade screwdriver to create space in the purple wire socket (was hampered because I have no idea what the socket and purple/black line connectors look like; tried prying on several sides of purple socket but didn't get results until I drove the screw driver into the side closest to the black wire and then the prong went in easy). I almost gave up trying to get the connection into the purple wire but just kept messing with it. The OP did a terrific job describing the process but if you are a novice like me that doesn't know the configuration of the sockets it can be daunting.
I actually tried this today. After bending one of the pins, I finally gave up. I used a jeweler's screwdriver but still could not get the pins inserted into the plug. I bought the mirror tap from Corvette Mods and I am not impressed with the quality. They don't even mark which wire is power and and which is ground.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:06 AM
doclex
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen previous posts that said you could get the parts all for $3.oo and others questioned whether or not it had fuse, and which wire went where. I paid $30.oo from BlendMount but had fuse and knew where to put each of the two pins in the connection box using the OP's directions. Pushed hard on the pins and was afraid I'd break the wire from them, but I didn't. I did bend one of the connectors but straightened it out with pliers. Guess it's, "Pay me now, or pay me later."
Old 09-21-2015, 08:31 AM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Anyone have an issue with their V1 (or other) buzzing/vibrating in the holder since it's now mounted solid? Mine doesn't do it all the time but I know that's where it's coming from. If I just lightly touch it, it'll stop.

Quick Reply: Mirror tap for Blendmount on 2015 C7