Sponsored by:

A8 died

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 06:18 PM
rramjet
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Default A8 died

I mentioned issues I was having with my A8 in my Z51 coupe vin 6623 in another thread where I was announcing that I had picked the car up and was loving it except for a little weirdness in the transmission. Figured it was time to start a dedicated thread for the rest of the story.

With 79 miles on the car as I was coming to a stop on a busy freeway off ramp yesterday the car felt like it downshifted really hard and refused to move another inch. Tried all the driving modes, manual shift and paddles with no help. I was in the left lane of a 4 lane off ramp and cars were going around me on both sides. My left side was just large gravel. I was waiting for some to hit the car but luckily none did. The highway patrol finally showed up and hand pushed me in neutral off to the side of the road. Rollback picked up the car about 30 minutes later. All of this coordinated through OnStar.

Of course this was in 90+ degree weather as well. Fortunately the engine was still running so we had AC.

Got the call today that GM is shipping a new transmission from the vendor in Ohio. Service guy says he thinks the Engineers know what is wrong but they wouldn't say. There were no codes but they couldn't get any of the shift solenoids to work. He did say they could get it to go into reverse in any shift position including drive. That's more than it would do for me yesterday. Guess it could have actually gone into reverse when I stopped and that was the violent shift I felt.

I'm really disappointed and at this point my sense of confidence in the car is shattered.

Oh, the weirdness that I reported in the other thread before this happened was like the transmission was coming out of gear while driving about 45 mph in ECO mode. The engine would rev up then come back down without any difference in feel to the car. It did this a few times then I switched to Touring and it stopped. About 5 miles before getting to the off ramp I noticed the same thing again.

I'll try to get autopsy results but I have a feeling those will be privileged information.

Last edited by rramjet; 10-30-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:23 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

I don't understand why everything has to be controlled by electronics and computers. Going into reverse when the stick is in drive? Damn I hate technology sometimes.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:23 PM
Sidepiper
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It happens, you'll be fixed up shortly. Must have been a nice ego hit when your new C7 is getting pushed off the highway...
Old 10-30-2014, 06:30 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

For someone getting a Z06 with the A8, I am not happy to hear about this!
Is this an isolated incident so far or have there been many others with issues?
I normally spend time on the Z06 forum, but haven't seen any reports here except this one.

Good luck with the new A8.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:31 PM
TKay
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Ouch, that sucks.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:32 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

I don't suppose it could be one of the ones with a cracked case, could it?
Old 10-30-2014, 06:33 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,366 Likes on 790 Posts

Wow. Lots of sympathy from me for your troubles. No sympathy for the heat though
Old 10-30-2014, 07:10 PM
rramjet
Pro

Originally Posted by Sidepiper
It happens, you'll be fixed up shortly. Must have been a nice ego hit when your new C7 is getting pushed off the highway...
Yea felt like crawling under a rock. I did wonder how many C7 sales were getting killed by the sight.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:17 PM
rramjet
Pro

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06
For someone getting a Z06 with the A8, I am not happy to hear about this!
Is this an isolated incident so far or have there been many others with issues?
I normally spend time on the Z06 forum, but haven't seen any reports here except this one.

Good luck with the new A8.
I have not seen any other reports of A8 failures on the forums I visit so hopefully there is no pattern. I was surprised as well since I know the A8 has to have undergone a lot to be allowed sit behind a Z06 motor but S**t does happen.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:21 PM
rramjet
Pro

Originally Posted by theanswriz42
I don't suppose it could be one of the ones with a cracked case, could it?
I hadn't heard about that one. Was it A8 transmissions?
Old 10-30-2014, 07:33 PM
bevo_87
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is exactly why i got a 2014 A6 and did not wait for the A8. Everybody was talking about waiting for the second year to avoid issues, but in reality, the A8 is really the first year of something new. The A6 has been proven for years. I would have waited for a 2016 if i had to wait. This sucks, but hopefully it gets figured out.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:35 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Originally Posted by rramjet
I hadn't heard about that one. Was it A8 transmissions?
Check post #11

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3537804-shipping-hold-update.html
Old 10-30-2014, 08:03 PM
Sidepiper
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea felt like crawling under a rock. I did wonder how many C7 sales were getting killed by the sight.
I have 15k on my 14 C7 with zero issues and still as fun as the day I pulled it off the lot a year ago. You'll be in good shape soon, theyll take care of you. Lots of fun ahead.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:17 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bevo_87
This is exactly why i got a 2014 A6 and did not wait for the A8. Everybody was talking about waiting for the second year to avoid issues, but in reality, the A8 is really the first year of something new. The A6 has been proven for years. I would have waited for a 2016 if i had to wait. This sucks, but hopefully it gets figured out.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:40 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL you bought a first year car where everything was different but the reason why was because you wanted to avoid a car where only the transmission different?
Old 10-30-2014, 08:52 PM
bevo_87
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket Aces
LOL you bought a first year car where everything was different but the reason why was because you wanted to avoid a car where only the transmission different?
Don't you honestly think that a new transmission is a hell of a lot more serious then a new body style? The A6 has been proven. A new transmission is a lot more serious...
Old 10-30-2014, 09:21 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Sorry for your troubles. A new Tranny in a Car w/ 79 miles? Some scary stories coming from this new generation. Good Luck w/ the fix.

Get notified of new replies

To A8 died

Old 10-30-2014, 09:24 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

That's what warranties are for.its normal to have something like this happen and consider this perspective...

It's cool gm stepped right up and is replacing the entire transmission.

If your really concerned.....about the future of the vehicle. I always felt the GMEPPwarranty purchased off a forum vendor....

They are so inexpensive when shopped on this forum...it's chump change for peace of mind.

Sorry to hear of your getting stuck on the side of the road.

Had a similar occurence with my manual transmission z06 on a four lane highway and it was a drag until I had it towed to a dealership and had it fixed.

You re car will be as good as new.
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't you honestly think that a new transmission is a hell of a lot more serious then a new body style? The A6 has been proven. A new transmission is a lot more serious...
You are talking about a total new frame and engine with cylinder deactivation and direct injection and electric assist steering. Transmission would be the last mechanical component I would be concerned about...
zeshawn
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I mentioned issues I was having with my A8 in my Z51 coupe vin 6623 in another thread where I was announcing that I had picked the car up and was loving it except for a little weirdness in the transmission. Figured it was time to start a dedicated thread for the rest of the story.

With 79 miles on the car as I was coming to a stop on a busy freeway off ramp yesterday the car felt like it downshifted really hard and refused to move another inch. Tried all the driving modes, manual shift and paddles with no help. I was in the left lane of a 4 lane off ramp and cars were going around me on both sides. My left side was just large gravel. I was waiting for some to hit the car but luckily none did. The highway patrol finally showed up and hand pushed me in neutral off to the side of the road. Rollback picked up the car about 30 minutes later. All of this coordinated through OnStar.

Of course this was in 90+ degree weather as well. Fortunately the engine was still running so we had AC.

Got the call today that GM is shipping a new transmission from the vendor in Ohio. Service guy says he thinks the Engineers know what is wrong but they wouldn't say. There were no codes but they couldn't get any of the shift solenoids to work. He did say they could get it to go into reverse in any shift position including drive. That's more than it would do for me yesterday. Guess it could have actually gone into reverse when I stopped and that was the violent shift I felt.

I'm really disappointed and at this point my sense of confidence in the car is shattered.

Oh, the weirdness that I reported in the other thread before this happened was like the transmission was coming out of gear while driving about 45 mph in ECO mode. The engine would rev up then come back down without any difference in feel to the car. It did this a few times then I switched to Touring and it stopped. About 5 miles before getting to the off ramp I noticed the same thing again.

I'll try to get autopsy results but I have a feeling those will be privileged information.

The problem you describe above is what happens if the engine decides to get into deceleration fuel cutoff while the torque converter on the transmission is UNLOCKED, engine speed will drop really quick and then shoot back up. This is assuming this was happening while coasting down.

Quick Reply: A8 died