Originally Posted by z28lt1
Prorated on times and/or miles:
Thanks!
Old 04-24-2015, 11:26 AM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts
Default GMEPP Exclusions

I finally found a complete list of exclusions for the GMEPP Platinum Plan. On Chevy's web site, of all places. My reaction is "Boy, they weren't kidding with that disclaimer that the marketing material isn't a complete list of exclusions. In fact, there are so many exclusions that aren't listed I think someone could make a good false advertising claim.

Some are rational, and things you would expect. Normal wear items and the like. But some are really significant gaps, and will steer me away from the GMEPP. Here are some key things that surprised me a bit:
  • AM/FM radio/cassette/CD players exceeding $3,000 repair or replacement cost, speakers, audio/video equipment, key fobs, tire pressure sensors, remote control consoles, (what is a remote control console, anyway?) I wonder how much is costs to replace the Bose system when you figure that pieces of it are probably scattered all over.
  • Weather strips, trim, moldings, bright metal chrome, upholstery and carpet, paint, outside ornamentation, bumpers, body sheet metal and panels, frame and structural body parts.
  • Any convertible top assemblies, hardware or linkages. (Since I'm buying a convertible this is a deal killer. Looking at the complexity of that top and tonneau mechanism I'm not going to pay $1500 or more for a warranty that doesn't cover that)
  • Any damage and/or breakdown resulting from freezing. This exclusion seems a bit odd.
  • Any repair or replacement of any covered part if a breakdown has not occurred. Any part that a repair facility or manufacturer recommends or requires be replaced or repaired or is an update, and is not a breakdown, is your responsibility and expense.
  • Diagnostic and/or teardown procedures that are not listed, or are in excess of the times listed in the current year’s national flat rate hourly guide in conjunction with a covered repair. (I can't find a list of diagnostic procedures that are covered, but this could get expensive with electrical / electronics issues.)
  • During the term covered by your plan, you may have covered repairs completed at any Certified Service Center. (What is a certified service center?)
The full list is here: http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty.html

Last edited by meyerweb; 04-24-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:34 AM
bevo_87
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rsl2715
Go with Dennis ,BEST Pricing.R
I think this is a myth. Dennis quoted me and i got a way better price through Tommy who sold me the C7. I "think" Dennis has some good marketing and people pushing him as the best pricing, but it aint the case.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:42 AM
bevo_87
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To net this out, the warranty begins the day you buy it, so if you buy it at time of purchase, it is cheaper because a 7 year warranty 56K Mile extended warranty will only give you 4 years added to the manufacturing 3 year warranty and 56K miles. If you wait right before the 1 year point and buy and say you have 5K miles on your C7, the price will be higher, but you will get an extra year added so you will have 5 years after the 3 year warranty and you will now have up to 61K miles, if you wait another year it goes up again, but you get an extra year plus 56K added to whatever miles you are at. ETC.... That is why it is cheaper to buy upfront. I bought right before my 1 year expired and got a better deal from MacMulkin then i did Dennis.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:42 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

I thought it would be best to post an actual copy of the GMPP Major Guard Coverage Agreement to end any speculation of what's in the plan. I believe I am the only member to come forward and post a copy of the plan, not even the people who sell the plan have posted a copy or have been willing too. Otherwise they would have done it. Most salespeople are very vague on the plan. Keep in mind price is negotiable when purchasing.

I did allot of research on this GMPP plan vs. Third Party Warranty sellers, and major insurance company's. I also called several dealers throughout the USA searching for the best price. The dealer I bought my C7 from was wanting to sell me the exact same plan to me for $2000. I went elsewhere.

This should end any speculation of what's in the GMPP Plan.

This my plan: GMPP Major Guard 84 Months/56,005 miles.....$100 Deductible ... My Cost: $1230.00
Attached Images       

Last edited by nmvettec7; 04-25-2015 at 12:52 AM. Reason: added image
Old 04-24-2015, 10:45 PM
CLLOFF
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm a GIECO customer and had not heard of MBI.
I read the MBI. Looks like you need to purchase it within 15 months and 15,000 miles of new. I only put on about 4k a year in miles so that is not an issue for me. But that seems to mean that you need to double up with both the manufacture warranty and MBI in the early years in order to continue to purchase the GEICO MBI after the factory warranty runs out. Do I have this right???

Originally Posted by 11B250
I have GEICO and have their mechanical breakdown coverage, it covers everything these do plus more. You can take your car to any ASE certified mechanic you'd like. 50 bucks every 6 months.

https://www.geico.com/getaquote/auto...own-insurance/

it covers everything on the car. not "almost all" It's a true bumper to bumper coverage. upto 7 years or 100K miles. There is a $250 deductible
Old 04-25-2015, 02:35 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by CLLOFF
I read the MBI. Looks like you need to purchase it within 15 months and 15,000 miles of new. I only put on about 4k a year in miles so that is not an issue for me. But that seems to mean that you need to double up with both the manufacture warranty and MBI in the early years in order to continue to purchase the GEICO MBI after the factory warranty runs out. Do I have this right???
Yes, that's correct. That's part of the way they hold costs down. Just as the GMEPP is cheaper if bought when new than if bought after 1 or 2 years.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:32 AM
Schweg
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CLLOFF

Just as a heads up. I just took delivery a couple of weeks ago of my 2015 aw z51 3lt with mag ride. I was told by Geico that they do not offer the MBI on z51 or Z06 packages. Ill now be shopping for a GMEPP plan myself.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:43 PM
DennyMenholtChev
Drifting

Received 250 Likes on 79 Posts

Email me for a quote!

KenFichtner@DennyMenholt.com

Have a great day,
Ken
Old 06-04-2015, 06:45 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Ken Fitcher's prices are easy to beat, just shop around.

I found a price $300 lower for the same GMPP Major Guard Plan by shopping around.

Most dealers sell the plan. There is a huge mark up on these plans, I mean HUGE!

See post #65 above.

My GMPP Major Guard Plan was $1230 for 7 years/56,000 $100 Deductible. My plan was purchased when the C7 was delivered to the dealer with 5 miles on it.

And no I didn't buy it from my dealer who offered it to me at $2000 for the EXACT same plan. My dealer told, "Richard, this is a rock bottom price, I can't go lower ....I will lose money". Ken Fitcher couldn't come close either.

Have you have "deep pockets" pay the price, if your a typical American shopper and want to save money, shop around.

Last edited by nmvettec7; 06-04-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:57 PM
shodanjr_gr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on the market for this as well and I've been contrasting it vs the MBI provided by my credit union (I'm financing through Star One and the MBI is offered through Mercury). The coverage/exclusion lists that I am seeing so far are basically identical across the board for the highest tiers.

However, the MBI through my CU also includes electronics coverage. My quote was $977 for 60 months or 100,000 miles. I think the quote for 84 months was 1100. By far the best I've seen and I'm seriously tempted to go for it. On the flip-side, they twist your arm a bit by asking you to pay for the insurance within the first 21 days from the purchase of the vehicle.

Still, even their electronics package is worded in such a way that they could realistically deny a claim if you had a head unit go bad...
Old 06-04-2015, 10:11 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
I finally found a complete list of exclusions for the GMEPP Platinum Plan.[*]Any convertible top assemblies, hardware or linkages. (Since I'm buying a convertible this is a deal killer. Looking at the complexity of that top and tonneau mechanism I'm not going to pay $1500 or more for a warranty that doesn't cover that)
I'll wait for another 2 years and see if GMPP is still around and covering tops!
Old 06-04-2015, 10:20 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
I'll wait for another 2 years and see if GMPP is still around and covering tops!
John, keep in mind the GMPP is NOT the same as the GMEPP. They are decisively different plans.

I have posted the policy in post #65 above for everyone to see and understand. It is the GMPP Major Guard Plan issued by Ally the former GMAC Financial Services. GMAC is General Motors Acceptance Corporation

The policy in the images on post #65 is directly from my personal GMPP I personally purchased. The images are the real deal.

Last edited by nmvettec7; 06-04-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:55 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
John, keep in mind the GMPP is NOT the same as the GMEPP. They are decisively different plans.

I have posted the policy in post #65 above for everyone to see and understand. It is the GMPP Major Guard Plan issued by Ally the former GMAC Financial Services. GMAC is General Motors Acceptance Corporation

The policy in the images on post #65 is directly from my personal GMPP I personally purchased. The images are the real deal.
Yes, great post, thanks. With GMEPP not covering converts it puts them in 2nd place for my needs. In my 35 month of ownership I'll have to make a decision.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:14 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Yes, great post, thanks. With GMEPP not covering converts it puts them in 2nd place for my needs. In my 35 month of ownership I'll have to make a decision.
If you choose a policy, it will not be cheap since you are just 1 month away from going out of warranty.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:41 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
If you choose a policy, it will not be cheap since you are just 1 month away from going out of warranty.
I'm waiting for someone to volunteer what that price would be. That way you can see what the next 7 years will cost after the first 3 "free" ones.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:21 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,952 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Only sign up for a plan near the end of your 3 year factory B2B warranty. It may be more expensive than signing up at day one but you can get longer coverage by waiting. With GMPP I purchased an 84 month/56K 0 deductible plan a week before the B2B expired on my C6Z. Four years ago that plan cost me ~$2500 or about $350/yr. I still have just under three years left on the plan. All told I will have some sort of coverage on the car for a total of 10 years from the day it was first put into service.

As far as worrying about the convertible top why is it a big deal? GMPP will not cover hinges and fabrics which pretty much eliminates almost everything that can go wrong with a Vert top. The drive mechanism might be covered by GMPP while the other doesn't cover it but is that a significant problem area?

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 06-05-2015 at 12:26 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice....GMPP or GMEPP

Old 06-05-2015, 12:21 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

I'm waiting for someone to volunteer what that price would be. That way you can see what the next 7 years will cost after the first 3 "free" ones.
John:

I don't think you will find any salesman who sells the policies, provide a quote in an open forum like this CF. There are to many variables. In order to get a price you need to determine what coverage you want, how long (mileage), and the deductible.

Insurance agents who sell these products like any insurance agent or product have strict rules and ethics to follow. These guys/gals are licensed and controlled by insurance commissions within their respective states.

I already now what my 7 years of warranty ($1230...84 month/56,000 miles $100 deductible) cost prorated on what I paid for the extended warranty. It is costing me $175.71 per year for the coverage. Of course the 1st 3 years is covered by the GM warranty. So if you want to base the price on the 4 years remaining, then it would be calculated at $307.50 each year after the OEM GM 3 yr expires.

Still not bad, and worth the price. It's a risk vs reward proposition.

The big question is, will I use it, will I need it. It's insurance, and you never know when you might need to file a claim.

Last edited by nmvettec7; 06-05-2015 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:49 AM
Schweg
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Schweg
Just as a heads up. I just took delivery a couple of weeks ago of my 2015 aw z51 3lt with mag ride. I was told by Geico that they do not offer the MBI on z51 or Z06 packages. Ill now be shopping for a GMEPP plan myself.
So here's an update since I was not able to buy thru Geico... I emailed Ken which by the way, was extremely responsive to my pricing request and very professional. Because I live in FL I was not able to buy the GMPP plan. The list of exclusions on the plan I could purchase included "Audio/Video Equipment and any Pixel Damage on Display Screens" so I decided to buy the GMPP plan from my local dealer in the clearwater FL area.

My cost was $3233 for 84 mo 70,000miles $0 deductible. Did I pay too much? Most likely. However, I used our gm employee discount (thanks to my wife's uncle) so I know the dealer doesn't make a very large profit on the car sale. I'm sure they made a very nice profit on the extended warranty.

Took the car in for my 500 mile oil change 2 weeks after taking delivery and bought the warranty while I waited. I absolutely love the car and know I won't have to deal with any headaches for a very long time. That to me makes the price I paid justifiable.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:18 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxer55
DON'T BUT WARRANTY UNTIL YOUR OEM WARRANTY IS ABOUT OUT! The warranty begins the day you buy it, it does not start when your OEM warranty runs out. If you buy it early you'll be wasting a lot of money for no reason whatever.
That both warranties are in effect simultaneously is true, but unless something has changed recently,

1. the longer you wait, the more the extended warranty costs.
2. coverage is X months from vehicle in service date, not X months from the date of warranty purchase.

In that regard, its cheaper to buy sooner rather than later.

Quick Reply: Need advice....GMPP or GMEPP