Sponsored by:

Fuel door issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 04:32 AM
collinsmk
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Fuel door issue

When I touch the door pad to open my door the unlocking mechanism (selonoid?) inside the fuel door makes an audible click clack noise which I never noticed before. The fuel door doesn't open when the selonoid clicks, but it does not seem to be a normal operating function.

Also, when I lock the door with the fob and press the right side of the fuel door it opens about an 8th of an inch but stays locked. If I hit the unlock button on the fob or touch the door pad, the fuel door pops open (this may be normal but I'm not quite sure).

This seems to be a new issue because I never noticed it before (655 miles on the odometer). Is this normal or is there a possible issue with the fuel door selonoid or some other electrical anomaly?

I did notice a fair amount of water coming out of the fuel fill area when I opened it which may have affected the selonoid (I gave her a fairly heavy washing the night before this issue started). I will definitely be using my mini master blaster to dry her off from now on if that caused the issue...

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-05-2014, 07:55 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by collinsmk
When I touch the door pad to open my door the unlocking mechanism (selonoid?) inside the fuel door makes an audible click clack noise which I never noticed before. The fuel door doesn't open when the selonoid clicks, but it does not seem to be a normal operating function.

Also, when I lock the door with the fob and press the right side of the fuel door it opens about an 8th of an inch but stays locked. If I hit the unlock button on the fob or touch the door pad, the fuel door pops open (this may be normal but I'm not quite sure).

This seems to be a new issue because I never noticed it before (655 miles on the odometer). Is this normal or is there a possible issue with the fuel door selonoid or some other electrical anomaly?

I did notice a fair amount of water coming out of the fuel fill area when I opened it which may have affected the selonoid (I gave her a fairly heavy washing the night before this issue started). I will definitely be using my mini master blaster to dry her off from now on if that caused the issue...

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
The operation you are describing is normal.

The fuel door locks when the car is locked and unlocks when the car is unlocked. There is a lock solenoid at the fuel door.

When you press the door pad, the car is unlocked and at the same time, the fuel door is unlocked, this is the noise you are hearing.

When the car is locked, pressing on the fuel door will cause the fuel door spring to attempt to open the fuel door but it can't because it is reaching the lock (so it only moves about an 1/8 of an inch. Once the spring is sprung (if you will) it is in compression against the lock mechanism and as soon as the lock mechanism is released, the spring will open the fuel door.

You should also hear the fuel door solenoid if you stand by the car and lock or unlock the car using the button on the fob.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:47 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90

The fuel door locks when the car is locked and unlocks when the car is unlocked. There is a lock solenoid at the fuel door.

When you press the door pad, the car is unlocked and at the same time, the fuel door is unlocked, this is the noise you are hearing.

When the car is locked, pressing on the fuel door will cause the fuel door spring to attempt to open the fuel door but it can't because it is reaching the lock (so it only moves about an 1/8 of an inch. Once the spring is sprung (if you will) it is in compression against the lock mechanism and as soon as the lock mechanism is released, the spring will open the fuel door.

You should also hear the fuel door solenoid if you stand by the car and lock or unlock the car using the button on the fob.

Never realized this. I try to stay away from the fuel door, every time I open it, costs me money!
Old 10-05-2014, 08:48 AM
Jakeross
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I open either door the solenoid clicks at least 4 times. Sometimes when I open the drivers door the cover opens by itself. I am putting this on the list for when I go back to the dealer.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:44 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 952 Likes on 499 Posts
Tech Contributor

The fuel door is a "door", so it acts like one..when you hit all doors unlock - it unlocks...

Last edited by Glen e; 10-05-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:24 AM
Al Blue4.6l
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jakeross
When I open either door the solenoid clicks at least 4 times
That is normal as well I believe.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:32 AM
lottavettes
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Blue4.6l
That is normal as well I believe.
.....all this time I thought I had a defect. When I open my door, I hear that clicka clicka....never thought it was the fuel door unlocking.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:11 PM
collinsmk
Advanced

Originally Posted by talon90

Thanks Talon, I guess I was worrying myself for nothing. Last night it didn't seem to be clacking when I pressed the unlock button on the fob but it was very pronounced when I opened the door.

I'll go try to listen when I unlock with the fob.

Thanks again,

Mike.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:15 PM
collinsmk
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jakeross
When I open either door the solenoid clicks at least 4 times. Sometimes when I open the drivers door the cover opens by itself. I am putting this on the list for when I go back to the dealer.
I agree, it seemed to open once or twice on me too. It may be a quirk in the system but I'm not brining it in just for that, I'll wait until my first free oil change (which will be just prior to hitting 1500 miles).

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel door issue

Quick Reply: Fuel door issue