C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Know Why GM Does Not At Least Offer An All Seasons Tire As an Option?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Xtac6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Know Why GM Does Not At Least Offer An All Seasons Tire As an Option?

I find it highly unusual that you can't get an all seasons radial on C7 from the factory. The two largest Corvette retailers reside in the snow belt how do they deliver cars in cold weather without voiding the tire warranty? In fact just driving the car off the transport in freezing temperatures could damage summer tires. Makes no sense at all GM.

Last edited by Xtac6; 10-03-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:43 AM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

GM doesn't make tires, and the potential sale volume is small there is little incentive for the tire manufacturers to make one. The C6 Grand Sport is in the same situation and there has never even been talk about a winter tire for that (that I know of).
Old 10-03-2014, 11:00 AM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

GM does offer an option, called a family car or SUV and a battery tender option to park it when too cold to drive.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:10 AM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtac6
I find it highly unusual that you can't get an all seasons radial on C7 from the factory. The two largest Corvette retailers reside in the snow belt how do they deliver cars in cold weather without voiding the tire warranty? In fact just driving the car off the transport in freezing temperatures could damage summer tires. Makes no sense at all GM.
You make an excellent point, and I had the same thought, when watching 3 new C7s being unloaded from a transport last winter in Iowa when the temp. was 2 degrees BELOW ZERO! As I understand it, these summer only tires can be damaged when driven below freezing temps, and certainly when driven in below zero temps.....how are these cars to be delivered in the winter to northern Chevy/Corvette dealers without risking tire damage????????
Old 10-03-2014, 11:18 AM
EvoX2008
Instructor

They probably don't have that option because it's a sports car and the take rate on all-season tires would be very low and likely not justify the expense. Just because the dealers are in the snow belt doesn't mean that the buyers are frequently driving their cars in the snow.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't drive your vette in cold weather (hell even in snow). However, you will have to opt for tires on your own dime if that's the case. I have 2 sets of tires for my current car (Evo X). One for warm, one for cold/snow. That will continue after the vette is delivered (on the current car not on the vette).

FWIW, the Evo is only avaliable with one tire choice too (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....A13C&tab=Specs). Sucks lol!
Old 10-03-2014, 11:24 AM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jovette
...As I understand it, these summer only tires can be damaged when driven below freezing temps, and certainly when driven in below zero temps.....how are these cars to be delivered in the winter to northern Chevy/Corvette dealers without risking tire damage????????
Yes they can be damaged when driven at very low temperatures. GM has a bulletin on the subject.

As for delivering cars in cold temps, I asked GM that very question at Carlisle. I was told they are going to deliver them...no special steps taken. Strange, sort of conflicting with he bulletin!

(I did read, but have no confirmation, that Z28 deliveries will be constrained by temperatures.)

Caution. There is a lot of misinformation being circulated on this subject.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:54 AM
Xtac6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
GM does offer an option, called a family car or SUV and a battery tender option to park it when too cold to drive.
They make all season tires to fit the C7, my question is why can't you order your car with them from the factory if you live in a northern state? By not having this choice GM needs to really make it clear in its marketing that's it's only a three season car and as sold can not be driven year round.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:12 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 345 Likes on 222 Posts

They make all season tires to fit the C7, my question is why can't you order your car with them from the factory if you live in a northern state? By not having this choice GM needs to really make it clear in its marketing that's it's only a three season car and as sold can not be driven year round.
They do make that very point. The tires are very clearly described as "summer-only". I'm no expert but I assume those tires will not match the handling and performance of the OEM tires when used in warmer weather.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:25 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe run-flats are the issue.

Michelin offers a high performance A/S that fits but it's not a run flat. GM can't offer non-run flats because they don't offer a spare tire. Those with the non-run flats carry the small air compressors and cans of fix a flat.

It's been rumored here for some time that this fall Michelin will introduce a run-flat A/S to fit the C7s.

Doesn't Continental and Bridgstone offer A/S non-run-flats in the correct sizes?
Old 10-03-2014, 12:26 PM
Xtac6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CaryBob
They do make that very point. The tires are very clearly described as "summer-only". I'm no expert but I assume those tires will not match the handling and performance of the OEM tires when used in warmer weather.
I'm talking more like in its print literature and on Chevrolet's on line web site. I wonder how many people walk into a Chevy store buy the car and really don't know the car can't be driven in cold weather without spending thousands of $ on winter tires and wheels. I can't recall any Chevrolet advertising that clearly states "This car can only be driven in the summer months" as sold by Chevrolet. A can of fix-a-flat will take care of any flat problems even if it wrecks the sensor it's still cheaper than a whole second set of wheels and tires.

Last edited by Xtac6; 10-03-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:02 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
Funny! Don
Old 10-03-2014, 04:01 PM
PUGPROUD
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

The market for all season run flats is not too small and Michelin should wake up to the fact and make them. Last year Chevy sold approximately 36,000 new C7's. Assume that half the buyers live in states with cold weather and that 60% of them would buy A/S run flats...that is first year sales of 10,800 sets, 43,200 tires or first year sales of $17,380,000 @ $400 a tire. Extrapolate out five years assuming a drop in second year C7 sales of 15% but combining initial fifth year A/S run flat buyers with early adapter replacement sales (assuming a five year tire life) generates fifth year Michelin sales of $33,548,000 and growing each year.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:21 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,110 Likes on 6,187 Posts

PUGPROUD, I think your numbers are grossly overstated. First of all, you are quoting retail price per tire. Michelin will get only part of that (maybe 50%) with the rest going to the retail outlet and various middlemen. Your figure of half of owners living in cold states is probably also overstated as three of the 4 largest Corvette ownership states are California, Texas and Florida. How many owners will opt for non-run flats and tires from other manufacturers? Consider the cost of developing a new tire and production costs and there is probably not much meat on that bone for Michelin.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:31 PM
CETA 256
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

I guess I'm going to order some A\S non-run flats and have them put on in a few weeks. I'll get a can of fix a flat and rock on till march.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:44 PM
PUGPROUD
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
PUGPROUD, I think your numbers are grossly overstated. First of all, you are quoting retail price per tire. Michelin will get only part of that (maybe 50%) with the rest going to the retail outlet and various middlemen. Your figure of half of owners living in cold states is probably also overstated as three of the 4 largest Corvette ownership states are California, Texas and Florida. How many owners will opt for non-run flats and tires from other manufacturers? Consider the cost of developing a new tire and production costs and there is probably not much meat on that bone for Michelin.
Your points are well made. Consider though that 1st to market A/S run flats for Z51 will have entire market to themselves and that Chevy would be wise to pressure Michelin to make A/S run flats to expand the market to include potential C7 northern owners who pass otherwise.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:52 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
PUGPROUD, I think your numbers are grossly overstated....
I won't defend his numbers but I do think the market is bigger than some here suggest.

A few thoughts.

The idea that the market is too small, often expressed here, appears to be the opinion of members here. I've never seen it attributed to Michelin.

Michelin actually makes a winter tire (Pilot Alpine PA4 -- not A/S) that fits the C7. Compared to the A/S market, the market for this tire has to be tiny.

There have also been persistent rumors here Michelin is actually developing an A/S run-flat for the Corvette.

Given that Michelin already produces a "winter," A/S and runflats that fits the C7, how much more would it really costs to develop A/S runflats? They have the technology, etc.

Finally, just because many vette owners live in CA, FL and TX doesn't mean they don't want an A/S tire. I know there are members here in all of those states who are currently using the Pilot Super Sport A/S tires (or competitor A/S tires) because they provide a quieter, more comfortable ride, MUCH longer tread life, less sticky on road debris, etc. For all these reasons I would love A/S tires for forthcoming Z06. I'll never drive the vette in winter weather or the track and want tires better suited for road trips.

I do believe the market for Z06 is too small, but I think there is a very profitable market for a runflat A/S C7 tire.

Just my 2 cents.

Best,
/Don

Last edited by dwward; 10-03-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:14 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

If Michelin or any other major tire manufacturer could make decent revenue and profit from A/S ZP tires for C7 they'd be making them. The fact that they don't pretty much says it all. They're in business to make money and they don't ignore market segments where that's possible, but they DO ignore market segments where the demand doesn't justify a new tire.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Know Why GM Does Not At Least Offer An All Seasons Tire As an Option?

Old 10-03-2014, 05:27 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

^^^Correct. And far more to the point than wondering why GM or Michelin doesn't get on the stick. If the business is there for a line of tires in Z or Stingrays sizes, tires will be made. If not, they won't.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You can go to tire rack and pick up a set of P4A Winter Michelin tires that will fit either a base stingray or z51 optioned stingray.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:30 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
If Michelin or any other major tire manufacturer could make decent revenue and profit from A/S ZP tires for C7 they'd be making them.

Same reason GM does not offer alternatives. The cost of offering a second tire (testing/engineering/certification etc) and the logistics of a second tire choice of 4 sizes on the assembly line. A lot of work for the low percentage of buyers who might want them. Easier to send them to Tire Rack.

Quick Reply: Anyone Know Why GM Does Not At Least Offer An All Seasons Tire As an Option?