Sponsored by:

Gas/Fuel Gauge not working....any ideas? Thank you

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 03:21 PM
whoie15
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by conadslv
Sounds like you are getting ready to go through exactly what I went through. I just picked up my car today after two weeks at the dealership. They ended up having to replace the fuel modulator. It took longer to order the part than it did to actually replace it. So far no problems but I've only driven it about 20 miles since picking it up. hopefully all is good
I think its going to get nasty by Monday... This morning I tried remote start my car and it did not work. I then went in my car and started manually and it worked fine however the check engine light turned on. It wasnt on during my first visit until this morning. I'm really hoping the reason the light is on is because it's finally reading that the fuel modulator is defective. Who knows... I'm hoping the fix will be nomore than a week... Any thoughts?..
Old 10-04-2014, 03:44 PM
bluvette2000
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

At least try driving it for a while with a bottle techron in the tank. I have seen this cure the problem twice in my past C5 Vette and there have been many reports of similar success by others. I would certainly try it before letting them drop my tanks.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:00 PM
whoie15
Advanced

Originally Posted by bluvette2000
At least try driving it for a while with a bottle techron in the tank. I have seen this cure the problem twice in my past C5 Vette and there have been many reports of similar success by others. I would certainly try it before letting them drop my tanks.
I plan to do this tomorrow morning. Prior to the problem happening again after I left the dealer having it "fixed", I noticed my gas was a little over half. I plan to drive 60 miles today (have a place to go to) then probably going to drive another 30 miles on Sunday morning then fill it up with chevron techron.. Hopefully this will fix the problem but Still, i don't like the sound of this fix only bc it's scary to believe we can only use 1 brand of gas. With so much new technologies when every new model is built, u would figure these problems should have been fixed already and we shouldnt be so limited. I figured and hope any "91" would be accept in the future. Nonetheless I really do appreciate the help and advice u have given me and I will be filling her up with techron tomorrow. Thank you again.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:23 PM
bluvette2000
Instructor

Just get a concentrated bottle of techron at Costco or an auto parts store and don't worry about the gas itself. Remember to use the aux nozzle that came with the car or you will have trouble getting the techron into the filler neck.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:37 PM
whoie15
Advanced

Just get a concentrated bottle of techron at Costco or an auto parts store and don't worry about the gas itself. Remember to use the aux nozzle that came with the car or you will have trouble getting the techron into the filler neck.
I apologize for misunderstanding your advice, I thought you meant fill her up with cheveron techron gas. So your suggestion just to get a bottle of techron and add it into the gas tank? something like this product?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141073000530?lpid=82
ill be honest, ive never used these techron bottles before in my life, this would be my first time so I apologize for the numerous questions. Is there anything else I should know about? Use the whole bottle? use half? Again, I apologize for sounding like a newbie. This corvette is my first big boy toy.

Also This "aux nozzle" I dont recall having one but I will look at my drawer where i put all my documents and etc when I bought this car.

Thank you again!
Old 10-04-2014, 04:42 PM
conadslv
Advanced

Originally Posted by whoie15
Hey conadslv, Out of curiosity did they allow u to take the car home while waiting for the part? Or you chose to leave it there. Also, where was the part coming from? I can't imagine why it would take 2 weeks for a part...I hope everything is good now, let me know if anything changes. I might just have to give the dealer my 2 cents and tell them "fuel modulator. " is the source of the problem
I dropped it off on a Monday and I don't think they were able to look at it until tues or wed. They realized that they would have to order a new modulator on thurs or fri and if was gonna take a few days to get delivered. It was delivered tues I think and by Friday they had it ready for pick up. The reason I kept it there though was bc my battery had died so I didn't really have a choice to take it home
I bought some techron to put in my gas tank but when I asked the service tech about it he said it's not necessary and advised against it. Not sure if I should now...kinda curious to hear what others think?
Old 10-04-2014, 04:49 PM
conadslv
Advanced

Originally Posted by whoie15
I think its going to get nasty by Monday... This morning I tried remote start my car and it did not work. I then went in my car and started manually and it worked fine however the check engine light turned on. It wasnt on during my first visit until this morning. I'm really hoping the reason the light is on is because it's finally reading that the fuel modulator is defective. Who knows... I'm hoping the fix will be nomore than a week... Any thoughts?..
the check engine light came on both times when my gauge stopped working. the 2nd time it stopped working I left it in my garage for a week bc I was gone for work. when I got home it wouldn't start at all bc the battery had died. they ended up having to replace the battery. I don't know if it's draining your battery but that might be why you're unable to remote start it?? I'm not a "car guy" by any means so that's just me speculating.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:28 PM
bluvette2000
Instructor

Yes that bottle of techron is the stuff. Of course sulfur deposits might not be your problem but in view of my and others past experience, I would never take my car in for a disassembly without putting a whole bottle of techron in and driving it for a few days or a bunch of miles. It won't cure instantly. But if sulfur deposits are the problem, the techron will probably clear it up. The service guys are all too young to know much about this. If you do it, once again, remember to use your aux nozzle which is the only way you can add gas from a typical gas can etc.. I have already been putting this in my C7 every few months as a preventative.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:27 PM
whoie15
Advanced

Yes that bottle of techron is the stuff. Of course sulfur deposits might not be your problem but in view of my and others past experience, I would never take my car in for a disassembly without putting a whole bottle of techron in and driving it for a few days or a bunch of miles. It won't cure instantly. But if sulfur deposits are the problem, the techron will probably clear it up. The service guys are all too young to know much about this. If you do it, once again, remember to use your aux nozzle which is the only way you can add gas from a typical gas can etc.. I have already been putting this in my C7 every few months as a preventative.
Thank you for the advice. I just poured 20 oz of it in the car. Now just going to drive it. Hopefully it works, if not back to the dealer. Question : do u think the reason my remote starter is not working is because of this fuel gauge malfunctioning. Someone mentioned about my battery getting drained but that's not the case, I'm sure it isn't.. Only had this car for 4 months and it's my daily driver. This saddens me bc its still new... But I've been doing research and was told this is one of the perks for owning a vette... Hahaha as long as im not the first, I know eventually this will be taken care of.. Thank you again
Old 10-04-2014, 08:43 PM
bluvette2000
Instructor

Good luck. If deposits are the problem you might not have enough time to dissolve them between today and Monday. Hope it works.

Just wondering if perhaps remote start might not work by design if gas gauge is registering empty??
Old 10-04-2014, 08:48 PM
whoie15
Advanced

Good luck. If deposits are the problem you might not have enough time to dissolve them between today and Monday. Hope it works.

Just wondering if perhaps remote start might not work by design if gas gauge is registering empty??
That's what Im thinking too. Starter is being misled by the gauge that the tank is empty. I'm really hoping that's the case. As of today the only gas u use is chevron techron blue vette?
Old 10-04-2014, 09:34 PM
whoie15
Advanced

Good news. The techron fixed the problem!!! Can't believe it.. Crossing my fingers it will still work till Monday. Now the bad news. Check engine light is still on and remote stater still doesn't work. So I hope monday, a hard reset at the dealer will fix the problem. Thank you everyone for the help. I will keep u guys posted
Old 10-04-2014, 10:07 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Dude, you're lucky. Count your blessings.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:28 PM
bluvette2000
Instructor

I generally use Costco gas and throw a little techron in every few months. Glad it seems to be helping.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:52 AM
whoie15
Advanced

I generally use Costco gas and throw a little techron in every few months. Glad it seems to be helping.
Thank you again for everything bluevette. I have a question: on the display where it reads "fuel gauge:" is the number suppose to count up or count down on the miles? I never thought about this until this problem was fixed. I just want to make sure everything else is in order
Old 10-05-2014, 02:01 AM
bluvette2000
Instructor

Not sure what u are asking. I'll have to take a look. Are u referring to the main fuel gauge?
Old 10-05-2014, 02:31 AM
whoie15
Advanced

Not sure what u are asking. I'll have to take a look. Are u referring to the main fuel gauge?
I'm talking about the center digital display. If u move your display options you will see (in writing) "fuel range:" and there a # of miles next to it. My question is does the # of miles go up or drops down as u continue driving ur car.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas/Fuel Gauge not working....any ideas? Thank you

Old 10-05-2014, 03:26 AM
bluvette2000
Instructor

Oh, yes the range indicator in the DIC. The range typically counts down as you drive. However, the computer estimates your available range based on the way you have been driving. So, for example, if you go from city driving to highway driving for a while your range will increase as the computer factors in your most recent highway fuel usage.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:00 AM
whoie15
Advanced

Oh, yes the range indicator in the DIC. The range typically counts down as you drive. However, the computer estimates your available range based on the way you have been driving. So, for example, if you go from city driving to highway driving for a while your range will increase as the computer factors in your most recent highway fuel usage.
Bad news... Everything was working fine until I filled her up yesterday at 5pm with 91 chevron techron. After I got to my destination at 520pm .i Had it parked for over 3 hours then drove home. Within 30 miles of driving the fuel gauge dropped to zero again... Todsy is monday 650am, I'm actually at the dealer droppig her off bc I'm out of options... I really thought my problem was fixed and all I had to do was go to my dealer today to ask them to turn off the check engine light. I'm assuming it's happening again bc I only used the 12 gallon version of the techron bottle but rather than playing guessing game like "maybe I didn't pour enough techron" or "maybe chevron techron gas is not good" I rsther hand it to my dealer... Guess my car is going to be in the shop for a few days now.. Sighhhh. Sad monday.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:38 AM
bluvette2000
Instructor

Too bad. Maybe something else is going on.

However you may have just needed to drive it longer also. My C5 took a few days to "cure". I just used the trip odometer during that time and filled up every 200 miles. Gas gauge actually became optional during that time.

Hope u get a great tech. I would ask about experience. Most of these guys have never done a Vette disassembly.

Quick Reply: Gas/Fuel Gauge not working....any ideas? Thank you