Sponsored by:

Z51 5 minute magnetic drain plug install

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 02:46 PM
birdflu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Z51 5 minute magnetic drain plug install

I changed my oil/filter/plugs at 600 miles, and checked my magnetic plug at 2200 miles and it had a fair amount of metal shavings stuck on the end.

With the latest posts regarding metal pieces possibly causing damage to new engines(car & driver), this is a really easy mod that takes 5 minutes. Its so easy, I may just start checking my plug every 500 miles or so. (Making this video, I actually removed the plug I changed 200 miles ago, and this time it was perfectly clean) In the picture of the 2 plugs, you can see how much metal it removed from the engine.

After you raise the drivers side, you can see the drain plug to the left of the oil filter. The drain plug in the front is for the reservoir, no reason to change that one. I did, and when I checked it it was clean. Apparently it sits too high to catch any settling particles.

I highly suggest this be done when the oil is cold, as you will be getting a handful. I broke the plug loose, and spun it loose while holding the new plug in the same hand. When the plug dropped, I screwed in the new plug.

If the video loads, you'll see what I mean.

The amount of oil spilled was minimal. I poured it from the oil pan into an empty bottle to get a measurement, then poured that much new oil back in.
Attached Images     
Attached Files
File Type: wmv
oilplug.wmv (1.74 MB, 68 views)

Last edited by birdflu; 09-15-2014 at 02:51 PM. Reason: front plug identification
Old 09-15-2014, 03:19 PM
rramjet
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by birdflu
I changed my oil/filter/plugs at 600 miles, and checked my magnetic plug at 2200 miles and it had a fair amount of metal shavings stuck on the end.

With the latest posts regarding metal pieces possibly causing damage to new engines(car & driver), this is a really easy mod that takes 5 minutes. Its so easy, I may just start checking my plug every 500 miles or so. (Making this video, I actually removed the plug I changed 200 miles ago, and this time it was perfectly clean) In the picture of the 2 plugs, you can see how much metal it removed from the engine.

After you raise the drivers side, you can see the drain plug to the left of the oil filter. The drain plug in the front is for the reservoir, no reason to change that one. I did, and when I checked it it was clean. Apparently it sits too high to catch any settling particles.

I highly suggest this be done when the oil is cold, as you will be getting a handful. I broke the plug loose, and spun it loose while holding the new plug in the same hand. When the plug dropped, I screwed in the new plug.

The amount of oil spilled was minimal. I poured it from the oil pan into an empty bottle to get a measurement, then poured that much new oil back in.
Thanks. Great information.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:20 PM
russellowr
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My experience with this very oil plug.

Originally Posted by birdflu

See this thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...il-change.html
Old 09-15-2014, 03:25 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Did the same with my first oil change. Curious to see what's on the tip when I change it again in about a month.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:29 PM
birdflu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by russellowr

If it's man made, it can break.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 5 minute magnetic drain plug install

Quick Reply: Z51 5 minute magnetic drain plug install