2014 Corvette Engine Damage

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 08:28 AM
VThokies
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
2001 I believe.
Yes it was the 2001, M Roadster and E46 M3. Main bearing issues.

I don't believe the OP ever said that a rod broke, only a spun bearing at 1800 rpm? So I don't think the cylinder wall would be hurt?
Old 09-16-2014, 08:32 AM
DerStig
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are comparing the engine and technology of a car from 13 years ago! It was unacceptable then, but it is outrageous now. Stuff like this cannot and should not happen with all the testing and technology companies have.

It's obvious there is a major flaw somewhere in the motor of the C7. The only explanation is lack of proper testing. It is not the fault of the driver.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:28 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by DerStig
You are comparing the engine and technology of a car from 13 years ago! It was unacceptable then, but it is outrageous now. Stuff like this cannot and should not happen with all the testing and technology companies have.

It's obvious there is a major flaw somewhere in the motor of the C7. The only explanation is lack of proper testing. It is not the fault of the driver.
Do you really get your rocks off bitching about a failure rate of less than .04% or are you just really bored?
Old 09-16-2014, 11:36 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,431 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
failure rate of less than .04%
source? honestly curious. I came from rotaries and am too familiar with oh-my-gawd-my-engine-blew-and-the-manufacturer-sucks stories, only to find out the 'rest of the story' involving engine abuse or poor mods...

C&D blew 2, there's several on here, and likely plenty more we don't hear about. Chevy knows how to make V8 by the literal million, very curious what is going on!
Old 09-16-2014, 11:40 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by acroy
source? honestly curious. I came from rotaries and am too familiar with oh-my-gawd-my-engine-blew-and-the-manufacturer-sucks stories, only to find out the 'rest of the story' involving engine abuse or poor mods...

C&D blew 2, there's several on here, and likely plenty more we don't hear about. Chevy knows how to make V8 by the literal million, very curious what is going on!
More than 35K C7's sold and fewer than 10 engine failures reported. The math isn't that difficult..

Actually, based on the above numbers, the failure rate is less than .03% (0.028571428571428574 to be exact)
Old 09-16-2014, 12:00 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

More than 35K C7's sold and fewer than 10 engine failures reported. The math isn't that difficult..

Actually, based on the above numbers, the failure rate is less than .03% (0.028571428571428574 to be exact)
reported from where?
Old 09-16-2014, 12:02 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by acroy
reported from where?
A quick Google/Yahoo search and posts made here (interestingly many posts here are VERBATIM on other Vette forums out there). Admittedly not the most scientific method but all we have for now.

On the other hand, I'm not the one acting like Chicken Little and attributing some statistically insignificant events to a widespread, model-wide problem
Old 09-16-2014, 12:05 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

A quick Google/Yahoo search and posts made here (interestingly many posts here are VERBATIM on other Vette forums out there).

Admittedly not the most scientific method but all we have for now.
10-4. I'd be very interested to see 'the rest of the story' on the failures and warranty claim #'s over the first couple years on the new engine.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:29 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
Hope you got the extended warranty on that Stingray.
Oh snap.

Trolls...
Old 09-16-2014, 01:59 PM
jsdanehy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

I have seen a lot of stupidity in my 77 years but this issue about the C7 engine is really an exhibit on how people do not read and when they do they do not comprehend.

There are two points involved in the gripe about paying for engine damage which occurred on a "track".

One is from an insurance policy. The other is from a Warranty issued by GM.

Insurance excluded when on a "track" is the coverage for Liability to others.

Warranty claims are a different breed.

Most folks who post here have no HARD FATS of what occurred. To have that information you would have had to inspect the engine. I doubt that those writing their opinions have done that.

When people keep harping on GM as a bad actor they show their bias. How can you come to a conclusion when you do not have the facts. They think they do though.

Did you ever hear of PUNITIVE damages ? A bad actor who takes unfair advantage of another can be (important wording there as it varies from state to state) subject of Punitive damages. I do not remember the exact name of the case but I do recall that in Alabama an owner of a new car (I think it was a BMW) had a recovery against BMW because of some shannigans. I define that as taking advantage. The award was more than a Million (again I am not about to waste time determining the exact amount).

GM is certainly aware of that potential. Why would they risk 1) huge recovery against them 2) bad PR in an environment from the bad ignition issues

GM is not run by idiots but those who like to be critical will disagree and ride off on their Harleys.

The fact is the HARD FACTS of the miniscule blown engines is UNKNOWN to the Forum.

Yes 99.9 % are OK. Not strange that the blown engines seem to be those that are pushed . . . . . to a rational person that means something too. Not conclusive but it is a FACTOR.

Life is not a certainty for any of us. I enjoyed 10 years of a C5 and so far 2 months of a C7 vert. Go for a ride and forget the NOISE you read here. It is meaningless in my opinion.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:01 PM
jwbert
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default In talking with some Corvette engineers---

The Corvette engineers I have had the pleasure of speaking
with face to face have told me that although they hate to see even
one engine fail, they are very pleased with the overall failure rate
of the LT1, esp being a new motor. These were design and quality
control guys. But when it happens to you it's one of one and it hurts,
we shouldn't over react or get paranoid about it.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:09 PM
jsdanehy
Drifting

Cruise-In V Veteran

well i had to go look and amend my comment. Yes GM is certainly aware that they must act with high integrity and speed when dealing with their customers. This is a case that is about 20 years old but the law is still good. I can tell you from experience that Corporations try to do the best they can. They do not do what many think they do. You have to know the entire story. Maybe this will help just one person feel that GM is not being jerks.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:09 PM
jsdanehy
Drifting

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by jsdanehy
well i had to go look and amend my comment. Yes GM is certainly aware that they must act with high integrity and speed when dealing with their customers. This is a case that is about 20 years old but the law is still good. I can tell you from experience that Corporations try to do the best they can. They do not do what many think they do. You have to know the entire story. Maybe this will help just one person feel that GM is not being jerks.
BMW of North America, Inc. v. Gore, 517 U.S. 559 (1996),[1] was a United States Supreme Court case limiting punitive damages under the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.
The plaintiff, Dr. Ira Gore, bought a new BMW, and later discovered that the vehicle had been repainted before he bought it. Defendant BMW revealed that their policy was to sell damaged cars as new if the damage could be fixed for less than 3% of the cost of the car. Dr. Gore sued, and an Alabama jury awarded $4,000 in compensatory damages (lost value of the car) and $4 million in punitive damages, which was later reduced to $2 million by the Alabama Supreme Court. The punitive damages resulted not only from Dr. Gore's damages, but from BMW's egregious behavior across a broad spectrum of BMW purchasers over a multi-year period of time in which BMW repaired damaged vehicles and sold them as new to unsuspecting buyers as a matter of routine business operation. {L. Andrew Goggans, M.A.}[1]
Old 09-16-2014, 02:22 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tatistics.html
Old 09-16-2014, 02:49 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

A quick Google/Yahoo search and posts made here (interestingly many posts here are VERBATIM on other Vette forums out there). Admittedly not the most scientific method but all we have for now.

On the other hand, I'm not the one acting like Chicken Little and attributing some statistically insignificant events to a widespread, model-wide problem
Of course you realize that the vast majority of C7 vette owners do not post on forums when they have a problem. I would be surprised if more than 10% of new C7 owners post or even read on line C7 forums.

The C7 actual forum member owners are just the tip of the iceberg and in no way account for the vast majority of the 35k 2014's sold to date (there are 2 to 3k of the total production still sitting unsold on dealers lots). From my experience most corvette owners never have even heard of this forum.

The actual true motor failure rate could be in fact substantially more that your guestimate. I have owned 25 vettes from all the first 6 generations and of those I had first year cars from 4 of those generations and without a doubt they were the most troublesome and problematic of the 25 I have owned.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:11 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RJRSW
Of course you realize that the vast majority of C7 vette owners do not post on forums when they have a problem. I would be surprised if more than 10% of new C7 owners post or even read on line C7 forums.
I fully understand that which is why I did not limit my search to strictly auto forums. Granted, there could be many more problems than we're aware but that simply reinforces my position that the Chicken Littles don't have that info either yet they summarily blame the engine design/build/GM is covering up and apply the problem to ALL LT1s.....
Old 09-16-2014, 03:29 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I fully understand that which is why I did not limit my search to strictly auto forums. Granted, there could be many more problems than we're aware but that simply reinforces my position that the Chicken Littles don't have that info either yet they summarily blame the engine design/build/GM is covering up and apply the problem to ALL LT1s.....

That is why this OP's thread and other like it or so important to the general C7 discussion and it allows other to be aware of the possible signs and have some idea as to what the resolution would be if they should unfortunately also find themselves in a similar situation.

I wish that there would have been a similar vehicle available like the internet when I bought my brand new 63 split window or my brand new 68 convert because it would have saved me a lot of pain, regret and misery that I had to endure with those two purchases.

I see a number of posts reacting to anything negative posted about the C7 as if it was something negative posted about one of their kids or their wife. It is just a car, not a member of your family.

To me the postings about possible problems and there resolution are far more valuable than a lot of the fluff postings telling about everyone looking at their C7 and giving them compliments when they are in the gas station pumping gas. The new 68 convert I owned was the 5th delivered in the country in the fall of 67 and drew a huge amount of attention every time I drove it or parked it but it was in fact one of the poorest quality and most trouble laden vettes of the 25 I have owned.

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 Corvette Engine Damage

Old 09-16-2014, 03:41 PM
AustinVettes
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 21 Posts

That is why this OP's thread and other like it or so important to the general C7 discussion and it allows other to be aware of the possible signs and have some idea as to what the resolution would be if they should unfortunately also find themselves in a similar situation.

I wish that there would have been a similar vehicle available like the internet when I bought my brand new 63 split window or my brand new 68 convert because it would have saved me a lot of pain, regret and misery that I had to endure with those two purchases.

I see a number of posts reacting to anything negative posted about the C7 as if it was something negative posted about one of their kids or their wife. It is just a car, not a member of your family.

To me the postings about possible problems and there resolution are far more valuable than a lot of the fluff postings telling about everyone looking at their C7 and giving them compliments when they are in the gas station pumping gas. The new 68 convert I owned was the 5th delivered in the country in the fall of 67 and drew a huge amount of attention every time I drove it or parked it but it was in fact one of the poorest quality and most trouble laden vettes of the 25 I have owned.
For the most part, I think the reasonable people are appreciative of folks who post the negatives and bad experiences. It helps everyone. I know it helped me because I factored in significant orange peel in my decision to buy or not buy the car. A balanced view of the car is what a lot of us are looking for.

The part that gets on my last nerve is when folks come here to take reasonable issues and blow them up to the craziest level. Like the guy who responded to the NORMAL start of the year factory hold by speculating that something must be wrong with all of the new A8's. Or the guy pretending to be in the market for a Corvette but posting only about how the car and GM are the embodiment of Satan himself. Or the folks who railed against how bad the $795 navigation was, and then turned around to complain about how the added expense of the PDR is making the purchase of their beloved nav so expensive. Or the folks that see the few reported engine failures and assume that all of the LT1's are invariably going to go bad.

I'm definitely keeping an eye out for the issues that people are calling out, and I wish the people with issues the very best. I just don't make it my life to keep harping on the issues and creating new threads carping on a car that the posters have no means or intentions of buying.

Last edited by AustinVettes; 09-16-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:03 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

To me the postings about possible problems and there resolution are far more valuable than a lot of the fluff postings telling about everyone looking at their C7 and giving them compliments when they are in the gas station pumping gas.
Oh I agree completely - in fact I poured over post after post in the sticky thread about issues and their resolution(s) before I ordered my C7. I was able to determine from that thread that the issues were generally minor and usually easily corrected and that gave me the confidence to pull the trigger (haven't regretted a single mile of the 13+ K miles I've put on my C7).

The problem with these engine threads is that most are based on an obvious bias to summarily blame the entire line, or GM, as I posted above. And that doesn't provide anyone with useful info other than the OP might be a turd......
Old 09-16-2014, 04:04 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a corvette fanboy site......... I get it. But for every one guy on the forum, there are probably 100 who aint.

When it comes to problems, I said the same stuff. You guys are crybabies who worry to much..... Then it happened to my car......... I became less of a fanboy and more of a realist.

It really sucks when its YOUR car that blows up.......... Cut these guys some slack, they are upset. Just as I was.

And guess what, It could be your turn next.

Quick Reply: 2014 Corvette Engine Damage