Sponsored by:

HUD memory question

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 11:01 AM
Heidemarie
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
Default HUD memory question

Can anybody explain why the HUD returns to just "mileage 0" display after engine is turned off. We have to manually reset it each time with engine start to desired display. Cannot find any instructions in owner's manual on how to safe HUD setting in memory so it remains in the selected setting from previous ride.
If HUD memory can be achieved, please give detailed instructions on what menu to access and how to auto recall that preset HUD. Appreciate any help in this regard. Never had this problem in our C6 but this C7 computer system is totally different, of course.
Thanks in advance Heidemarie
Old 09-11-2014, 05:44 PM
tentorium
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Heidemarie
Can anybody explain why the HUD returns to just "mileage 0" display after engine is turned off.
Are you saying when you start up that the display on the windshield is a "0"? If yes, this is the look of the HUD in Touring mode. HUD will morph with driving mode selected.

Do you have auto transmission? I do and Touring is the default mode for each ignition cycle unless I shut down in Sport mode.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:24 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

I always shut down in sport mode (set on track HUD), but randomly, every 6-10 cycles it will revert to sport mode HUD display upon start-up. I can find no pattern to it.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:36 PM
tentorium
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by owc6
I always shut down in sport mode (set on track HUD), but randomly, every 6-10 cycles it will revert to sport mode HUD display upon start-up. I can find no pattern to it.
Yeah it's not always symmetrical- same thing with using the mode selector. Even though I know exactly how fast/slow to turn, it sometimes goes in the opposite direction I want it to.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:11 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by tentorium
Are you saying when you start up that the display on the windshield is a "0"? If yes, this is the look of the HUD in Touring mode. HUD will morph with driving mode selected.

Do you have auto transmission? I do and Touring is the default mode for each ignition cycle unless I shut down in Sport mode.
Only if you have Driving Mode linked to the display. If not linked then the HUD will remain where it was at shutdown.

I don't have mine linked and generally keep things in Tour Mode and the HUD always comes up where I left it last (circular tach, lateral g-force indicator and speedo). Oh yea, '14 M7 VIN 11822

Last edited by KenHorse; 09-11-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:17 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Only if you have Driving Mode linked to the display. If not linked then the HUD will remain where it was at shutdown.

I don't have mine linked and generally keep things in Tour Mode and the HUD always comes up where I left it last (circular tach, lateral g-force indicator and speedo). Oh yea, '14 M7 VIN 11822
My driver mode is not linked and I experience same thing as OP. After like 10-20 fresh startups, it changes to sport on te HUD display. No rhyme or reason..
Old 09-11-2014, 09:39 PM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
My driver mode is not linked and I experience same thing as OP. After like 10-20 fresh startups, it changes to sport on te HUD display. No rhyme or reason..
Just adding another data point to the collection. Mine does the same thing. M7, unlinked to drive mode. Occasionally starts up in Touring Mode display, even though I shut off the engine in the usual "dogleg tach" display. I can also confirm the occasional misdirection on choosing the driving mode with the dial selector. Turn it "up" and the mode goes "down". I would say each condition happens with perhaps 5-10% frequency of total use.

I also had the entire infotainment system freeze, turn off, and reboot. It did this once, while the engine was running and it was attempting to recalculate a nav route after I made a turn. It worked fine after its self-imposed reboot (took about 2-3 minutes, subjective and approximate).
Old 09-11-2014, 09:47 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by CaryKen
Just adding another data point to the collection. Mine does the same thing. M7, unlinked to drive mode. Occasionally starts up in Touring Mode display, even though I shut off the engine in the usual "dogleg tach" display. I can also confirm the occasional misdirection on choosing the driving mode with the dial selector. Turn it "up" and the mode goes "down". I would say each condition happens with perhaps 5-10% frequency of total use.

I also had the entire infotainment system freeze, turn off, and reboot. It did this once, while the engine was running and it was attempting to recalculate a nav route after I made a turn. It worked fine after its self-imposed reboot (took about 2-3 minutes, subjective and approximate).
Thats happened to a few of us, including me. I was going 80 on the highway when everything rebooted..
Old 09-12-2014, 11:23 AM
JandDsC5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another with same experience as OP. Built 7/25/14.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:59 AM
Heidemarie
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by tentorium

Yes A8. Thanks to everyone chiming in; looks like a small computer memory glitch. I guess we will continue changing HUD to desired display each time we start the engine. We do mostly touring mode right now; have only 225 miles on odometer so far and need to break in engine still. You guys are awsome appreciate all the replies.
Heidemarie
Old 09-13-2014, 09:03 AM
sotirisf
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

'Yeah it's not always symmetrical- same thing with using the mode selector. Even though I know exactly how fast/slow to turn, it sometimes goes in the opposite direction I want it to. '
'I always shut down in sport mode (set on track HUD), but randomly, every 6-10 cycles it will revert to sport mode HUD display upon start-up. I can find no pattern to it.'

Yup, I have those two instances happening to my A6 Z51.
Dealer cant replicate when I brought it in for service.
Nice to know its not only mine...
Old 12-24-2014, 10:01 AM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Just bumping this three months on... Anybody heard of a flash fix? Do we think GM is aware of the problem? I just took it to my dealer to get the expected "Can't replicate. No fix."
Old 12-24-2014, 10:30 AM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

Same here, I've not been to bothered by it tho as it's the way of computers. And anything on our cars now that's not mechanical is part of a computer.
Originally Posted by owc6
Old 12-24-2014, 11:15 AM
Len44
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

Sure sounds to me like this PITA is worthy of a response / fix from GM.

Anybody from Customer Service want to chime in here?

Get notified of new replies

To HUD memory question

Quick Reply: HUD memory question