Sponsored by:

Exhaust rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 06:10 PM
00hotvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Exhaust rattle

Does anyone else have this problem. When my car is around 1500/1700 RPM I'm hearing a strange sound coming from under the car like soda cans rattling. My neighbor said he had the same problem and they replaced the exhaust. My car has NPP.
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2014, 08:42 PM
Sallye M
22 Hypersonic Grey HTC
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 142 Likes on 77 Posts

If you have an automatic, see if your Hydraulic Belt Tensioner is leaking - Faulty tensioners make a rattle noise when going from V8 to V4 around those RPM's.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:46 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Is your car a manual or automatic?

On my 14, I noticed if you lug the engine you will hear a little knocking.
This happened when I was in 7th and gently pressing the gas.

Also if you are using low octane or bad quality gas you will get knocking too.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:46 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Could be the cats....
Old 09-08-2014, 10:47 PM
00hotvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry its a 7 speed. Has ARH headers and
NPP exhaust.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:07 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 00hotvette
NPP exhaust.
It might be the butterfly valve on your exhaust. You can idle your car and see if the rattling occurs when warmed up and/or have some one raise the rpms. If it rattles place a gently place a stick against each valve to see if that quiets the rattle. I had a similar problem on my 427, though the C6 has a vacuum actuated valves.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:32 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

NPP exhaust.
Did it start after you installed the ARH? I know of one case where the installation wasn't perfect and it rattled.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:55 PM
Boldcall
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes!

Does anyone else have this problem. When my car is around 1500/1700 RPM I'm hearing a strange sound coming from under the car like soda cans rattling. My neighbor said he had the same problem and they replaced the exhaust. My car has NPP.
This is exactly what's happening with my 2016 C7. It makes what I called the beer can clatter since the day I drove it home. It is auto w/ npp.
Is there a SB or any other info I could use to "inform" my dealer. So far, they admit that they hear it, that it isn't standard, but predictably, they did not offer to replace the exhaust system. Pretty much ruined the new Vette experience. Ready to dump it (if I can't get some support) and move on.

Last edited by Boldcall; 09-14-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:33 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,603 Posts

It could be many things... AFM valves, NPP valves, loose clamps, heat shield, broken weld inside the mufflers... or one of the four cats... or exhaust shifted and is rubbing against the chassis, etc... GL.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:55 PM
dmvette
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Boldcall
This is exactly what's happening with my 2016 C7. It makes what I called the beer can clatter since the day I drove it home. It is auto w/ npp.
Is there a SB or any other info I could use to "inform" my dealer. So far, they admit that they hear it, that it isn't standard, but predictably, they did not offer to replace the exhaust system. Pretty much ruined the new Vette experience. Ready to dump it (if I can't get some support) and move on.
Change over to Corsa Sport or Extreme....no beer can rattle and new Vette experience restored!
Old 09-15-2016, 06:44 AM
Wesens
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Boldcall
Me too. It started making the noise you described after they replaced the flex plate that was also making a noise. When I took it back to the dealer they acknowledged the new noise and after a couple of days told me it was a heat shield that was improperly replaced after replacing the flexplate. This week, it started making that noise again. It happens around 650 rpms (at idle) and then again when coasting at around 1200-1700 rpms. took the service manager for a ride and it made the noise several times. So, now the car is back in the shop while they figure it out. I'm with you, all these service visits have pretty much taken a lot of the fun out owning this vette. My first one. 2015 z51 3lt. Starting to think I got a lemon.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:36 PM
Highplains
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesens
Me too. It started making the noise you described after they replaced the flex plate that was also making a noise. When I took it back to the dealer they acknowledged the new noise and after a couple of days told me it was a heat shield that was improperly replaced after replacing the flexplate. This week, it started making that noise again. It happens around 650 rpms (at idle) and then again when coasting at around 1200-1700 rpms. took the service manager for a ride and it made the noise several times. So, now the car is back in the shop while they figure it out. I'm with you, all these service visits have pretty much taken a lot of the fun out owning this vette. My first one. 2015 z51 3lt. Starting to think I got a lemon.
Check-out the thread in this forum entitled "Warble Sound Occasionally". Also look at this YouTube video
and compare your sound to it. If that's it, you've got the infamous warble which is currently being addressed by Corvette Quality Control engineers in several cities around the nation.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:51 PM
Wesens
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Highplains
Check-out the thread in this forum entitled "Warble Sound Occasionally". Also look at this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra_svpk-t9E and compare your sound to it. If that's it, you've got the infamous warble which is currently being addressed by Corvette Quality Control engineers in several cities around the nation.
definitely not that sound. Thanks for the link though. Just heard from my Chevy dealer today. They are now suspecting its the torque tube. I offered that up the last time I had it in and they said no, it was the heat shield. Now, apparently they have a case opened with GM. I have little confidence at this point and am getting tired of the run around and not being able to drive the car.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:59 AM
JJWVETTE
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dmvette
Change over to Corsa Sport or Extreme....no beer can rattle and new Vette experience restored!
I did the extreme and love it

Also change the X pipe...big difference
Old 09-19-2016, 06:39 PM
fairlydangerous1
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Highplains
Check-out the thread in this forum entitled "Warble Sound Occasionally". Also look at this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra_svpk-t9E and compare your sound to it. If that's it, you've got the infamous warble which is currently being addressed by Corvette Quality Control engineers in several cities around the nation.
Yea, definitely have that irritating sound.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust rattle

Quick Reply: Exhaust rattle