Sponsored by:

Blown up engine 5 month old Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 03:10 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 503 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by girardta
Getting an attorney involved NEVER speeds things up - it just slows the process WAAAY down. And all the time, he/she's billing you $400 an hour for their time.
You are correct...get one if you want but do not mention that to GM or you will shut the process down.. they will take care of you, just follow where it goes...
Old 09-08-2014, 03:25 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz

Since this incident included a fire, you would think GM would have someone out there within days! Talk about a liability issue. With all these recalls, they should be on top of their game.

Since it caught fire, how did you extinguish it?

They should be buying your car back, I wouldn't want that car back after it caught fire.
GM. was just having a prob. with fire isues , i seen one of there trucks on fire at the dealer from where the kid started it in the morn. to let it run . this was just about on every model ..........humm
Old 09-08-2014, 03:44 PM
Snip444
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
Your 1st post here?....got a vin that Chevy Cust service can look you up?
of course: be nice if GM/Chevy did something for me in that past 3 1/2 weeks! 1G1YF3D74E5116699
Old 09-08-2014, 03:47 PM
Snip444
Intermediate

Default Atty

Originally Posted by bbrown450
You are correct...get one if you want but do not mention that to GM or you will shut the process down.. they will take care of you, just follow where it goes...
Attorney is very last thing I want to do, but it's been 3 1/2 wk and I know very little and no one (other than investigator and "allegation dept" for GM have talked to me about what they will do and when. It's very upsetting. I do not want nor have I gotten an atty involved (yet).
Old 09-08-2014, 03:49 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Then there's that whole 2 years of free oil changes thing....

I still call
I agree Ken. Maybe just a bad dealer, taking advantage. He got his free oil change, then up charged him for some ridiculous inspection service!
Old 09-08-2014, 03:53 PM
Snip444
Intermediate

thanks for the advice. I actually was on a track at the time in a driver's ed weekend (first morning) with a certified instructor in car with me. Thanks for the link to .gov
Old 09-08-2014, 03:58 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Snip444
thanks for the advice. I actually was on a track at the time in a driver's ed weekend (first morning) with a certified instructor in car with me. Thanks for the link to .gov
I see you are back online and selectively responding to questions.

I apologize if I've done something wrong on this forum. I guess I've offended several of you b/c I'm not sure of the proper way to post. I was trying to get help from this Forum b/c GM has been mostly unresponsive so far. I drove over to the dealership today and took a bunch of photos of where the "rod blew through the block " and started the oil and combustible wires, etc in right front of the car on fire. The brakes were gone and it turns out the wiring and fire were right over the fuse box. Apparently, the wiring in the front right is fried. Amazing that several of you think I'm lying. I'm a 70 y.o. doctor and COO of a medical device company and I have way better things to do than to be fighting with GM or convincing several of you that I'm not a liar. I bought this Vette as a 70th bday present to myself. To those who have given me some good ideas, i.e. lemon law link, insurance possibility, etc I sincerely appreciate it. I can't find the link that someone says is on the forum to GM/Chevy customer service. How do I find it. I will be posting the pictures I took somehow in the next day or two, just so you know I'm not a liar or have nothing better to do. Dr. P
Chevrolet Customer Service posted in post#39 on page two of this thread offering to assist you in resolving your issue. They asked that you send them a message.

I posted a direct link (this means that all you need to do is click on it and it will take you to a page to fill out and it will send the message directly to them as requested.

Here again is that information:

PM stands for Private Message.

Here is a direct link to the PM page for Chevrolet Customer Service here on the forum:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...newpm&u=352244

You'll also note that they have posted in this thread looking for your information.
You appear to be able to read and respond the posts here in this thread. You have been asked about the circumstances of the failure. You have been asked about the dealership that you have been working with on resolving the matter. You have been asked about dealership that you brought the car to three weeks prior with your report of the drivability issue. Are you able to respond to these questions that have been asked? Have you sent a message as requested to Chevrolet Customer Service?

Folks are generally skeptical. Particularly in the case of new members appearing with reported problems. I'm certain that no one on this forum wishes you ill will and if you have been getting the run around, we would all like to see it taken care of. Posting a vague description of the issue and generally appearing to skirt requests for additional information only serves to build that skepticism. Folks are trying to help but you seem unwilling to help us help you by providing information nor following the requested direction of contacting the forum customer service folks.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:01 PM
Gr8ful
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The birthday present that keeps giving and giving. Please please keep the forum updated. I apologize for the rudeness here, some here are just ate up and love someone else's pain.
Many of us get a little nervous that our new C7 may blow up also, with the Car and Driver article I for one am a little concerned.
I wish you good luck in slaying the GM giant.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Snip444
Intermediate

thank you! no I haven't seen that post yet. I will respond to that link right after I thank you. I did see the post telling me off for not disclosing the dealer, etc. So far the dealership has been really nice (unless they are lying to me) and have said "their hands are tied " til GM tells them what they can do.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Snip444
Intermediate

automatic transmission
Old 09-08-2014, 04:07 PM
Snip444
Intermediate

Coggin at the Avenues, Jacksonville , FL
Old 09-08-2014, 04:09 PM
Innocuous
Advanced

Originally Posted by WKMCD
This post begs the question - were you on a track when this happened?

That's the only reason if the motor is stock that I can think of where there would be any question about warranty coverage.
Why would there be a question about warranty coverage if he was on the track? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 09-08-2014, 04:10 PM
Snip444
Intermediate

Default Blown Engine Corvette 2014

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Snip444,

Deepest apologies are extended to you after reading about what happened to your engine. I also apologize for the unresponsive way you feel the situation has been handled. Please private message us at your earliest convenience. We would like to do all we can to provide the assistance you're seeking.

Sincerely,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
I'm new to this forum. I've already been told I posted something wrong. How do I PM you with information that you would like to see?
Old 09-08-2014, 04:13 PM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I am very sorry to hear about what is happening with your car. Putting it on the track doesn't disqualify any warranty, that is what these cars are built for.

One thing I would do is make sure you follow GM's bulletin on tracking the car, they recommend using 15w50, High Temp brake fluid, Alignment and cooling rings. I am not saying that would disqualify them from warranty but if you can clearly show you followed their recommendations they have no way to go back and show blame.

The other thing I would do if I were you is press this with the GM of the dealership, there are regional guys for GM that are reps. I had an issue with my calipers at the track and I was amazed how quickly GM remedied the situation even though they couldn't find anything wrong with the calipers.

One thing I did before tracking my car was change out all the original fluids and replace them with better racing fluids, plus I installed magnetic drain plugs to capture any stray metal material. This and the Car and Driver issue may be cheap insurance for all of us.

When engines are mass produced things happen, tolerances are missed and or metal can make it into a motor. Everybody should consider swapping their original fluids early in the break in process (1500 miles). You will find metal in all your fluids. Not sure why GM just doesn't automatically do this for all their high performance cars. BMW M includes a 1500 mile service on all driveline fluids at this interval, for good reason.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:15 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

I'm new to this forum. I've already been told I posted something wrong. How do I PM you with information that you would like to see?
Simply click on this link:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...newpm&u=352244

That is a direct link to the private message page for Chevrolet Customer Service.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:19 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by halfcirclej
I'm an old man also 72 yrs. The $57.28 oil change is a clue. Reason I'm in this. I also have a 2001 Eldorado Cadillac which holds 8 qt plus filter. I took it to the local GM dealer for oil, filter an check up. Two days later the DIC with a message (low oil level). WTH, it has never used oil. 63000 miles. I checked the oil an it was 3qts low.
My 2012 GS I believe holds 8qts like the Caddy. The oil change guy only put 5qts of oil in the crank case. Totally unfamiliar with the north star engine. I believe the same thing happened to this ol fellow. As for the speed he was going when it happened. Hell, isn't that why we buy high horsepower cars? I've got 300 hp in the Caddy an 436 hp in my Vette. When I used to race cars I had 520 hp in my small block 355 ci.
Old guys stick like to get at it once in a while.
Any body think it was #3 rod let loose.
Based on the wheels displayed in hi attached photos, it appears that he has a base C7 without the Z51 option. it takes 7 qts of oil and the oil change procedure is straight forward like all the millions of other cars getting their oil changed every day.

Oh, and no 2012 GS holds 8 qts of oil. It holds either 6 qts(wet sump) or 10.5 qts(dry sump).

You're not helping the cause for us old farts(I'm 72 also and I know how much oil my 2009 Z06 holds).
Old 09-08-2014, 04:25 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

I have rebuilt quite a few fire damaged cars and in reaity yours should be totaled - it will never be the same.

Since it happened on a race track I doubt GM will help you with anything except give you a repair estimate.

Doesnt matter if the car is two days or two years old, your new car warranty does not cover racing. Right from your GM warranty guide that came with your car:

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty
does not cover damage caused as
the result of any of the following:

Misuse of the vehicle such as
driving over curbs, overloading,
racing, or other competition.
Proper vehicle use is discussed
in the owner manual.

Thast just the way it is, at this point your best bet would be contacting your insurance company. Unfortunately on-track incidents are usually not covered by normal auto insurance but if it was a sanctioned event you may get some help.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Blown up engine 5 month old Stingray

Old 09-08-2014, 04:26 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by KenHorse
There is no ****ing way an oil/filter change on either a Z or non-Z costs only $57.28. Not to mention the free changes/inspection for the 1st 2 years

Total BS
Why is $57.28 unreasonable? The OP's car has a wet sump LT1 that holds 7 qts of oil. A Chevy dealer would refill with a dexos synthetic blend oil that GM specifies and the base low cost ACDelco oil filter.

I just did a quick check and found that Thompson Cadillac, Buick, GMC in Raleigh, NC charges(regular price) $39.95 for a 5 qt oil(dexos) and a new ACDelco oil filter oil change. Is it unreasonable to expect that an additional two quarts could be purchased for around $7 a quart at the time of that oil change?

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-08-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:37 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by talon90
I see you are back online and selectively responding to questions.

Chevrolet Customer Service posted in post#39 on page two of this thread offering to assist you in resolving your issue. They asked that you send them a message.

I posted a direct link (this means that all you need to do is click on it and it will take you to a page to fill out and it will send the message directly to them as requested.

Here again is that information:

You appear to be able to read and respond the posts here in this thread. You have been asked about the circumstances of the failure. You have been asked about the dealership that you have been working with on resolving the matter. You have been asked about dealership that you brought the car to three weeks prior with your report of the drivability issue. Are you able to respond to these questions that have been asked? Have you sent a message as requested to Chevrolet Customer Service?

Folks are generally skeptical. Particularly in the case of new members appearing with reported problems. I'm certain that no one on this forum wishes you ill will and if you have been getting the run around, we would all like to see it taken care of. Posting a vague description of the issue and generally appearing to skirt requests for additional information only serves to build that skepticism. Folks are trying to help but you seem unwilling to help us help you by providing information nor following the requested direction of contacting the forum customer service folks.
It would also be refreshing if one could just go to their dealer if they have a warranty claim and the dealer and the manufacturer would take care of the problem in an expedited manner without one having to go to an internet forum and have to beg for help and in return be ridiculed by the apologist on that forum.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:51 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Have your insurance company total it. I wouldn't want it fixed!!

Quick Reply: Blown up engine 5 month old Stingray