Blown up engine 5 month old Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 08:01 PM
Innocuous
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -CM-
1:02:30

He didn't equivocate, it's OK to run (Z51 anyway) on the track. I'll hang on to this, thanks!!
Old 09-09-2014, 08:10 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by girardta
Getting an attorney involved NEVER speeds things up - it just slows the process WAAAY down. And all the time, he/she's billing you $400 an hour for their time.
waaaaaaa tell mommy too LOL
Old 09-09-2014, 08:12 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Wormwood
I'm not ashamed, I still don't believe him... He says his car was immaculate prior to this but if you look at those wheel they've been chewed all to hell! What was he doing 98mph the freeway or cornfield? Looks like the calipers had a fire extinguisher spraying them. Additionally the black soot is going straight up none of it angle like he was coming down from 98mph, lastly there's no soot coming out of the side vent, there a lot of heat that'll come out of those side vents, especially at 98mph.

Of course, for the sake of possibilities, sure tell him to to get in touch with GM customer service. I don't see anything but a kid that chanced across a stingray & it bruised his ego. Now he wants to get even, with anonymity & the security of his own home

Ahhh...the fruits of modern technology, together with our legal system, we're culturing some of the most bizarre neurotic behavior man has ever seen!!!
he said it caught fire when it blew. possible.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:32 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Regardless of what the guy in the video says, unless it's in writing, it's not going help you in a litigation.

Applying a bit of logic to what the manual says (and realize it's written to cover GM liability):

GM recommends the steps to take if you decide to take your car to the track (oil type used and level checks, tire inflation, and so on). That reads to me as recommendations to make the car track ready, not an authorization to race the car.

Once you start to race the car (drag strip, autocross, road racing, etc) you are basically out of warranty for any damage done to the car. You blow an engine, it's your dime to repair it. (Specifically states that in the manual)

I assume that if you race the car and then blow the engine while going to church the following Sunday, GM will probably not cover the damage since you've raced the car (or at least try to arbitrate it's way out of covering the car claiming the engine was damaged during that race event).

Pretty much seems to say (at least to me) drive your car normally and if the engine blows it's covered. Race the car (even once) and the engine warranty is probably going to get questioned if you have a problem later.

Could be wrong on this but it certainly makes financial sense for GM and would explain their slow response to the OP in this thread based on the circumstances of the engine failure.

The C&D detonation is another story, as the fallout would have been huge (and disastrous) if GM failed to replace that motor citing that since the engine was raced we won't cover it. Imagine the C&D write up!!!!

Just my take, I could be wrong.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:33 PM
1FINE99
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 159 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Snip444
thanks for the advice. I actually was on a track at the time in a driver's ed weekend (first morning) with a certified instructor in car with me. Thanks for the link to .gov
I think right there is your "ace in the hole" .Contact that instructor and have him or her explain EXACTLY how you were driving the car and what happened at 98 mph!
Old 09-09-2014, 08:46 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,453 Likes on 2,274 Posts

GM warrantied C6 Corvettes that had on track failures (HPDEs, not competitive sanctioned racing), so why do folks think it would be any different with the C7?
Old 09-09-2014, 09:43 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

One needs to look at what caused the mechanical problem that caused the failure metal that came thru filter means metal present at Assy. Nothing would wear that fast to contaminate the oil. Friend had an engine machined crank and such he assume they had cleaned the crank and block wrong fired that sucker up and the metal left over ate the bearings and crank.
z51vett
Doug
Old 09-09-2014, 11:39 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

I read through all 14 pages and I'm reminded why I don't participate in this particular forum/community.

Here are some interesting statistics:

14 PAGES

6 posts by the OP

Less than 10 helpful posts to assist the OP

Over 190 blathering posts with zero substance.

In other words, congratulations to most everyone on a complete waste of time, space and resources.

I hope Snip is able to have his issue resolved quickly and efficiently. If anyone has any helpful advice after his next post, great. If you don't have anything constructive to contribute, don't waste your time.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:52 PM
nsxpilot
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sccacornerworker
i read through all 14 pages and i'm reminded why i don't participate in this particular forum/community.

14 pages

6 posts by the op

less than 10 helpful posts to assist the op

over 190 blathering posts with zero substance.

In other words, congratulations to most everyone on a complete waste of time, space and resources.

I hope snip is able to have his issue resolved quickly and efficiently. If anyone has any helpful advice after his next post, great. If you don't have anything constructive to contribute, don't waste your time.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:00 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

When I worked at a dealer we'd occasionally get a car towed in after an underhood fire. Even if the car was under warranty we didn't even look at it, just waited for the insurance adjuster. I thought that was odd, obviously a defect caused the fire, why didn't the factory pay for the damage? I was told that's just the way fires are handled. Maybe later the insurance company negotiates with the factory.

If Snip's engine blew to bits but didn't "ignite", the dealer would have called GM, gotten approval, and might even have completed the repair by now. Unfortunately the oil did "ignite" and start a fire. Now things get more complicated because insurance needs to be involved. Let's hope Snips insurance company doesn't freak out when they see it was towed from a racetrack.

I'm wondering why the dealer didn't promptly co-ordinate GM and the insurance company instead of keeping Snip waiting so long? Were they expecting him to get things rolling with the insurance?

Last edited by ZL-1; 09-10-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:05 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by nsxpilot
I see what you did there...
Old 09-10-2014, 12:10 AM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCACornerWorker
I read through all 14 pages and I'm reminded why I don't participate in this particular forum/community.

14 PAGES

6 posts by the OP

Less than 10 helpful posts to assist the OP

Over 190 blathering posts with zero substance.

I hope Snip is able to have his issue resolved quickly and efficiently. If anyone has any helpful advice after his next post, great. If you don't have anything constructive to contribute, don't waste your time.
Not meaning to be a smart ***, but can you direct me to a forum, any forum, where this doesn't happen on a regular basis. BTW, your post is off topic, exactly what you are complaining about. Just sayin'
Old 09-10-2014, 12:37 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,953 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by Snip444
My engine blew up over 3 weeks ago (5 mos. old 5,000 mi.) . GM has been mostly unresponsive. The dealership Manager and Service Manager have told me their hands are tied and they can't help me til GM tells them what to do. Two days ago someone from the "Allegation Dept" told me I should get an "estimate" from the dealer and that maybe in a week they would tell me "what they thought happened". Meanwhile, my 2014, 5 mos old Stingray engine blew up the car had fire in the front and smoke out of all sides of the car and GM has been totally unhelpful. Apparently a rod blew through the block? The worst part of buying this American made car is that the department at GM that the dealer told me I had to call to open a "complaint" was answered by someone in India. Does anyone know how I can get GM to respond in a reasonable time frame?
I have been through this with my C6Z and my daughter's Pontiac Torrent. GM actually responds fairly quickly for such a major incident. The dealer's hands are tied until GM provides direction to them in now they want to proceed. First thing the dealer has to provide GM a computer printout so they can determine if the engine had been modified by programming the ECM. Once that is determined the dealer is notified to do a tear down to develop a should cost on how much it would cost to rebuild the engine. If the engine is in pieces this is not done. Then GM has to decide whether to repair or replace (again in the case of an engine in pieces they replace it). Once that is done the dealer is told to replace the engine and the dealer will order the correct parts and when they come in will fit the car into the shop schedule to get it back on the road. Pretty much a standard procedure that I believe most any other manufacturer will follow (even the much vaunted Toyota).

I have seen this procedure take from 2.5 weeks to 6 weeks. My engine took 6 weeks but there was a major flood in our area the day after I took my car in and a fair number of the dealership employees lost their homes and a lot of car maintenance and repairs were put off until the owners could get their cars to the dealership. That meant the shop got very busy once things started settling down. It took a week after all the parts had been received before they even got my car on the lift to do the job.

My daughter's engine took about 3.5 weeks.

Bill
Old 09-10-2014, 12:42 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by z edge
O.P. i would also contact an attorney just in case
That just adds another year to the process. Attorney's get you nowhere other than into more issues.

Bill
Old 09-10-2014, 01:07 AM
m3incorp
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Few threads going on about blown engines. This is what I posted in another thread....

I don't stay awake worrying about blown engines BUT it should be a concern. One poster said there has only been two.....hmmm that is definitely not true, as there have been a few reports of engine replacements. One guy reports that his engine blew and caught on fire at 98 mph and of course...yep another concern....he states was in a safety course and it really doesn't matter to me if he was or not, as the engine shouldn't throw a rod "just because he accelerated to 98 mph". Please pay attention to the quotes

As long as it isn't "your" engine people tend to overlook problems that really should be looked into. Yes engines do sometimes go south. But come on, when a magazine reports the engine blew during their testing, the manufacturer should be doing something to reassure people that they don't have anything to worry about.

It seems that some people wouldn't mind if their engine blew as long as it is fixed/replaced. I guess I must value my time a bit more.

Before anyone starts shouting, I am NOT bad-mouthing (read my first sentence). I don't expect mine to blow. BUT IT HAS HAPPENED TO OTHERS. Be glad it is not you!!
Old 09-10-2014, 01:08 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by kp
I have rebuilt quite a few fire damaged cars and in reaity yours should be totaled - it will never be the same.

Since it happened on a race track I doubt GM will help you with anything except give you a repair estimate.

Doesnt matter if the car is two days or two years old, your new car warranty does not cover racing. Right from your GM warranty guide that came with your car:

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty
does not cover damage caused as
the result of any of the following:

Misuse of the vehicle such as
driving over curbs, overloading,
racing, or other competition.
Proper vehicle use is discussed
in the owner manual.

Thast just the way it is, at this point your best bet would be contacting your insurance company. Unfortunately on-track incidents are usually not covered by normal auto insurance but if it was a sanctioned event you may get some help.

Good luck.
Yes, all of those types of things are mentioned in the warranty manual. However, that doesn't mean GM will not cover the failure. They covered the failure of my LS7 which dropped a valve head while I was passing the start finish line at the Glen with the engine at 6800 rpm/118 mph. The computer data showed a manifold pressure fault that showed up when the car speed was 113 mph and the rpms were at 1300. The dealer personnel knew the car was tracked and it was obvious to the GM Rep. The GM Rep wrote the following on the repair order:

As you can see the Rep was concerned about a potential non warranty repair so authorized a one time goodwill warranty repair.

This is one of the reasons you don't make a lot of noise with an ignorant lawyer. You do not want to **** off decision makers who are just trying to do a good job.

By the way GM responds a lot better than other manufacturers when warranty issues like this show up.

Bill
Old 09-10-2014, 02:20 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Yes, all of those types of things are mentioned in the warranty manual. However, that doesn't mean GM will not cover the failure. They covered the failure of my LS7 which dropped a valve head while I was passing the start finish line at the Glen with the engine at 6800 rpm/118 mph. The computer data showed a manifold pressure fault that showed up when the car speed was 113 mph and the rpms were at 1300. The dealer personnel knew the car was tracked and it was obvious to the GM Rep. The GM Rep wrote the following on the repair order:

As you can see the Rep was concerned about a potential non warranty repair so authorized a one time goodwill warranty repair.

This is one of the reasons you don't make a lot of noise with an ignorant lawyer. You do not want to **** off decision makers who are just trying to do a good job.

By the way GM responds a lot better than other manufacturers when warranty issues like this show up.

Bill
I never said they wouldnt fix it or anyone else's car for being on a track. Just pointing out it may be a reason they are delaying things if the car was towed to the dealer from the track.

Fire damage is bad, it could be a never ending repair/warranty nightmare and most dealer techs arent car rebuilders. Plus there is no accurate book time to cover melted down cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Blown up engine 5 month old Stingray

Old 09-10-2014, 03:24 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,008 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by nsxpilot
You're a funny guy!
Old 09-10-2014, 08:40 AM
Innocuous
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Regardless of what the guy in the video says, unless it's in writing, it's not going help you in a litigation.

Applying a bit of logic to what the manual says (and realize it's written to cover GM liability):

GM recommends the steps to take if you decide to take your car to the track (oil type used and level checks, tire inflation, and so on). That reads to me as recommendations to make the car track ready, not an authorization to race the car.

Once you start to race the car (drag strip, autocross, road racing, etc) you are basically out of warranty for any damage done to the car. You blow an engine, it's your dime to repair it. (Specifically states that in the manual)

I assume that if you race the car and then blow the engine while going to church the following Sunday, GM will probably not cover the damage since you've raced the car (or at least try to arbitrate it's way out of covering the car claiming the engine was damaged during that race event).

Pretty much seems to say (at least to me) drive your car normally and if the engine blows it's covered. Race the car (even once) and the engine warranty is probably going to get questioned if you have a problem later.

Could be wrong on this but it certainly makes financial sense for GM and would explain their slow response to the OP in this thread based on the circumstances of the engine failure.

The C&D detonation is another story, as the fallout would have been huge (and disastrous) if GM failed to replace that motor citing that since the engine was raced we won't cover it. Imagine the C&D write up!!!!

Just my take, I could be wrong.
Let's see, an official GM spokesman flat out says the Z51 is covered by warranty for the track. You say it's not. Hmmmm, I'll go with your last line.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:59 AM
HHughes1
Instructor

We should all be interested in the outcome of this particular case because it may be the precedent for GM's decisions regarding stock vehicles failing in a non competitive track situation. If the warranty is denied we should all feel betrayed considering the vast majority of Corvette marketing is track focused.

I was at this event as well and saw this car towed off the track at the rear gate before turn 4. This group does allow convertible Vettes even at their Daytona event however I would never run mine.

Additionally I would never attend an HPDE without track insurance as well, even on my lowly $20,000 track toy. It's just to cheap not to consider.

Quick Reply: Blown up engine 5 month old Stingray