Sponsored by:

Blown up engine 5 month old Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 09:11 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Weston
HPDE is not competition or racing, and organizations putting on these events will be all too happy to back that statement up.

If you look in the warranty manual, the racing and competition exclusion is actually under the section about "misuse", then it goes on to say that the owner's manual covers proper vehicle use, and indeed it does give us guidance for prepping the car for the track. From that, I would have to believe that following their instructions (15w50 synth oil, brake cooling rings, etc.) is "proper vehicle use" and I'm not going to have a warranty problem if I go out to the track and drive fast, assuming of course that I don't ignore any warnings that I may receive from the car or the owner's manual, and with the obvious exclusion of the typical wear-items (and the owners manual does caution us on that).
Exactly. Now the manual does say to use a different oil than stock for track use, so if the standard oil was being used, I don't know what their stance would be.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:23 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
I don't think there's much of a distinction between a "race" and an HPDE except what it's called, at least for legal (and therefore warranty) issues.
All depends how the OP stated his case to the dealer.

If the car was towed from a race track to the dealer they are going to assume he was racing the car. Generally thats whats done on a race track.

You can explain to GM that you werent 'really' racing the car, most likely they arent listening. The people making the decision are probably not racers/enthusiasts and they may need to be educated as to whats going on. Of course good luck getting someone at GM with any real authority to listen isnt easy.

IMO if there was no fire then it wouldnt be a big issue, depending how bad the fire was it could really turn into a large and complicated repair thats beyond what most dealer people can handle. That alone may be the delay and have nothing to with the car being on a race track.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:24 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Snip444
that's me!
I was there as well. I walked over and was talking to JD when you came in off the track from the T4 flagstand. I 'thought' somebody told me that the failure was related to the brake line on the right side, not a blown engine. Obviously that wasn't accurate. Good luck with GM. As I recall that was early Saturday.

For anybody wondering, as long as the OP is who he claims, he was with a few other cars at RR when this happened and it was a legit failure at the track. I walked over to see the car because a friend of mine who organized the event told me there was a C7 that broke on-track.
S.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:35 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Perhaps I've missed it as I've not read all 11 pages, but the OP keeps saying he was going 98 mph when it blew up. That means nothing. What was the engine RPM when it let go? That's far more meaningful than ground speed. Does the car in question have a manual or auto trans?
Old 09-08-2014, 09:53 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Snip444
insurance said to call them if GM didn't cover everything under warranty
Now that is interesting. Do they know the car was on a track? My understanding is that with the VAST majority of automobile policies coverage stops the moment the car is on the track surface...regardless if it was actually entered into a race or not.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:12 PM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

Originally Posted by Woodson
2) Of course it is. Why wouldn't it be?
Track mode.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:13 PM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LT1xL82
Now that is interesting. Do they know the car was on a track? My understanding is that with the VAST majority of automobile policies coverage stops the moment the car is on the track surface...regardless if it was actually entered into a race or not.

Yeah that would make sense. Make a car like a Vette and void the warranty if you dare put it on a track.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:34 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Perhaps I've missed it as I've not read all 11 pages, but the OP keeps saying he was going 98 mph when it blew up. That means nothing. What was the engine RPM when it let go? That's far more meaningful than ground speed. Does the car in question have a manual or auto trans?
He posted several times it's an A6.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:35 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by oyealiz
Yeah that would make sense. Make a car like a Vette and void the warranty if you dare put it on a track.
He's talking about automobile insurance. Yes, they would deny your insurance claim if you were on a track.

As far as warranty on the track, I remember something about Tadge or someone saying that the car was designed for track use and the warranty was valid as long as the guidelines were followed.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:51 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by smdio
Wow. I just read all 10 pages and wish I didn't

First, who is this 305z idiot? I mean are you even serious?

Second, to all those mentally handicap persons who jumped on this poor old guy calling him a liar, SHAME ON YOURSELVES. None of you belong on a forum like this. We're supposed to be here to help people, not call them liars and dismiss their claims

Get a life. Maybe even go buy a 350z like that troll
YES>
Old 09-08-2014, 10:53 PM
Gadfly
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think there's much of a distinction between a "race" and an HPDE except what it's called, at least for legal (and therefore warranty) issues.

Not true, a driver's education event is not a race, or a competitive event. It is driver's education, even your insurance is valid at an HPDE where it is not at any type of race.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:53 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by RicK T
He posted several times it's an A6.
Thanks.

Has he said what RPM it was at when it let go?
Old 09-08-2014, 11:14 PM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
He's talking about automobile insurance. Yes, they would deny your insurance claim if you were on a track.

As far as warranty on the track, I remember something about Tadge or someone saying that the car was designed for track use and the warranty was valid as long as the guidelines were followed.
Oh, ok, thanks! I must not have read closely enough. Yes, insurance won't covered accept under very restrictive conditions. For instance, a driver training event they might cover.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:15 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I think WaltWhiteCoupe is right: this will take a lot of patience on your part, snip. But I do think GM will come through in the end.

I can't imagine how replacing "only" the engine will solve the car's problems however. It's a mess from the fire. For that reason, I would be surprised if the offer of an engine is the only thing being contemplated by GM---this is more like a partial- or whole-car replacement. But that's just my guess and I am not in any warranty, legal or parts department ().

As to being at an educational driving program, the average customer service department will interpret it as "racing." Digging into the company will find people who understand what a program like that really is. It's good to have the instructor right next to you, too, since s/he can corroborate the car's condition at the time of the engine letting go.

Good luck.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:43 PM
jsdanehy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

To determine applicable insurance coverage for the physical damage you need to be reading the policy not guessing. Each policy MAY read differently. Often the wording is COMPETITION or RACING as the excluded activities.

Not sure how the owner would frame his activities. Doing laps on a track for amusement could be classified as not engaging in RACING or COMPETITION. At least that would be my approach if I represented the owner.

The wording in the policy is critical and nobody reading this thread except the owner knows what is in the policy that covers the car.

While a rod may have been "thrown" that could be covered under warrant subject to the above comments. The ensuing fire would certainly be covered by the COMPREHENSIVE section of the policy. Subject to the possible exclusion. Where the wording is vague or ambiguous then it is construed AGAINST the company that wrote the policy.

I own a C7 and I baby it. I owned a C5 and after 10 years and 52,000 miles it never saw 90. At 76 years old I enjoy cruising. It would have been nice to have these "wheels" when I was chasing chicks 50 or 60 years ago. I wonder what you do when you have the seats that you have in a modern Corvette ? That would be my concern

JSD
Cincinnati, Ohio
Old 09-08-2014, 11:53 PM
barryh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsdanehy
It would have been nice to have these "wheels" when I was chasing chicks 50 or 60 years ago. I wonder what you do when you have the seats that you have in a modern Corvette ?
Improvise, adapt, over---come!

Old 09-09-2014, 12:04 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

I attended a two day "High Performance Driving School" at Pocono Raceway and my insurance gave 10% off my insurance for the next three years because it was considered driver training that qualified for the reduction. So it depends a lot on the specific insurance company.

Get notified of new replies

To Blown up engine 5 month old Stingray

Old 09-09-2014, 12:09 AM
rramjet
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Guess I'll be doing some intense research into warranty and insurance coverage before I take my 2015 Z51 Coupe for a drivers course I was thinking about in Las Vegas.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:27 AM
Monaco335
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed.

I frequent several tracks near the Chicago area and I am rather interested in the cause of this. Please post GM's findings.

Hopefully GM covers it. Reading some of the prior comments from trolls, people who have never tracked or attended HPDE, and lots of assumptions and speculation... it's a bit infuriating to read since you came on here simply asking for help. Hope it works out in the end and is an isolated issue.

Also to board members, please post facts and not assumptions. Insurance (Farmers, State Farm, Geico) does NOT cover HPDE accidents if they find out you were driving the car "outside of normal driving conditions" at a track. I've called and asked several companies since I'm at the track ~12 times a year for the past 5 years. This is why tracks offer one day race insurance.

Last edited by Monaco335; 09-09-2014 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:27 AM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadfly
Not true, a driver's education event is not a race, or a competitive event. It is driver's education, even your insurance is valid at an HPDE where it is not at any type of race.
Not true. Most of the companies I've talked to will not cover you at all if you are on a track for any reason, not even for an extra fee. So don't assume you are covered unless you have it in writing from your insurance company.

Quick Reply: Blown up engine 5 month old Stingray