Sponsored by:

Easy memory and key fob fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:19 AM
EasyElliott
Pro

Received 268 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Easy memory and key fob fix

I have been going crazy trying to get my memory seats to work correctly since delivery 3 days ago.

The fobs are not labeled 1 or 2 and the dealer said there is no difference.

Stupid me for listing to the dealer. Every time I set the memory for my key fob, it seemed to loose the recall.

After I set my wives key fob on the #2 fob and tried to get back in with mine it went to her settings.

Now this was a very complicated fix, so read carefully.

I switched key fobs with my wife and made a mark to show hers. Now my son would have figured that one out in five minutes. Age is really starting to show
Old 09-05-2014, 11:26 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,832 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by EasyElliott
I have been going crazy trying to get my memory seats to work correctly since delivery 3 days ago.

Stupid me for listing to the dealer. Every time I set the memory for my key fob, it seemed to loose the recall.

After I set my wives key fob on the #2 fob and tried to get back in with mine it went to her settings.

I switched key fobs with my wife and made a mark to show hers. Now my son would have figured that one out in five minutes. Age is really starting to show

I have that age thing too! I carry 2 keys that are attached to my RKE. Easy to keep the darn things straight.

Elmer
Old 09-05-2014, 11:28 AM
Edward Weaver
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The keys are marked, but a bit tricky to find. Open by removing the chrome piece from the black box. On the inside of the head on the opposite side from the perpediculat bar you will see a number etched in the head. Obviously you will see either a 1 or a 2.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:28 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,124 Likes on 6,194 Posts

Some fobs have a very tiny number stamped on the bottom on the INSIDE. Mine have them, but many have reported that theirs do not.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:36 AM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Some fobs have a very tiny number stamped on the bottom on the INSIDE. Mine have them, but many have reported that theirs do not.
I've looked inside both of mine and have been unable to locate a number. I've assumed they take on an identity the first time you save a setting .. but that's a guess.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:07 PM
EasyElliott
Pro

Checked mine inside and out, even used a magnifying glass and could not find any marks or numbers.

Seems poor thinking on the part of GM as one is driver one and the other is driver 2, with no way to tell the difference unless you mark yourselves.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:57 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Memory seats still work poorly regardless of what key is in your pocket.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

I just checked my 07.01 build C7 RKE, no differentiator marker on mine.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:11 PM
ocjim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Checked mine inside and out, even used a magnifying glass and could not find any marks or numbers.

Seems poor thinking on the part of GM as one is driver one and the other is driver 2, with no way to tell the difference unless you mark yourselves.
Mine are both marked 2, makes no difference when programing, just identifies yours and wife's FOB. that's all. Here is where mine are marked.
Attached Images   
Old 09-05-2014, 01:34 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,655 Likes on 6,652 Posts

Key FOB numbering has been a mystery since I got my C7 last October. Mine both are 1 or a line. However those who randomly have a 1 & 2 mark, it is in the removable key, makes no sense! If keys were switched the FOB is not!

(That’s where my mark is as well.) A poster indicated this is probably a cavity # in a 2 cavity mold or die that they come out of! If they were correct you have a 50% chance of having a 1 and a 2!
Another FOB problem identified is compared to my C6, the key comes out very easy-too easy! Mine came out in my pocket. A poster said they lost their FOB that way (expensive!)
This pic shows a solution to both the identity problem and to retain the FOB. These rubber covers keep the key from being easily removed. You have to pull the rubber over the edge when needed. Let her pick her color and then you can pick from many available!
You don’t need my added Stingray!!

Key Cover

Last edited by JerryU; 09-05-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:50 PM
EasyElliott
Pro

Originally Posted by ocjim
Mine are both marked 2, makes no difference when programing, just identifies yours and wife's FOB. that's all. Here is where mine are marked.
Well gol darn it mine are marked 1 and 2 on the inside of the key like your picture. Thank You
Old 09-05-2014, 01:57 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,832 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Well gol darn it mine are marked 1 and 2 on the inside of the key like your picture. Thank You
Uh-oh... Not only old, got a case of blind as a bat too!

Elmer
Old 09-05-2014, 02:04 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

If the poster who recently speculated that is just a mold mark on the removable key and has nothing to do with the FOB, you had a 50% chance of finding a 1 and a 2. Or do you have a 2 and a 1!! Two possibilities. Also there is a 25% chance of two 1's like mine or two 2's.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-05-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:14 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Mine also both marked 2
Old 09-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Barker
Mine also both marked 2
After learning where to look, both of mine are marked #2.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:45 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jim Barker
Mine also both marked 2
Can't take credit for the two mold idea, as mentioned a poster recently speculated that idea. However since I got my C7 in October, half the folks said ther FOB was numbered 1&2. And some of use have said we have two ones if you call the line a 1 where the numbers are located in the key. However unlike the C6 where as I recall the FOB itself was numbered in a spot you could see with the key removed, numbering the key made no sense. You could swap keys and the FOB didn't change. We had lots of pictures posted with numbers etc.
As mentioned if the mold idea is correct you randomly can get a 1/1; 2/2; 2/1; 1/2. No wonder half the folks who had a 1 & 2 insisted they were numbered and the other half wondered why all worked fine with the same number!
The forum is great to solve this type of issue!

Last edited by JerryU; 09-05-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:56 PM
Glenn Broom
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had the same problem and after swapping with bride all is ok

Get notified of new replies

To Easy memory and key fob fix

Old 09-05-2014, 08:49 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Mine are both marked 2,
Same with mine; 2015 2LT with Memory Seats.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:26 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

UPDATE;

as mentioned above; both FOBs are identical for our 2LT... cosmetically identicall in all respects (even in the molding ID recess; both have a "2"). But after spending time in the driveway, the car knows a difference between the two FOBS. The wife is a tiny thing... I'm a big ol' brute; and the car is able to tell which of the FOBs is with the driver. It adjusts everything accordingly.

But the only way I was able to determine this was via trial & error outside in the driveway. The neighbors must think I am
Old 09-05-2014, 09:30 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

OP, is yours a '14 or '15?

Quick Reply: Easy memory and key fob fix