Sponsored by:

Dealer allocation and supplier discount question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 11:58 PM
j_bays
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dealer allocation and supplier discount question

I'm confused. How does the dealer allocation and supplier discount tie in together?
Today, we went to a Phoenix area dealership and placed an order for a 2015 Vette after waiting 2 months for the pricing to trickle down from GM. (( YES !!!!!)) I checked with about 6 or 7 local Chevy dealers and found only one who would honor the GM supplier discount. The car chosen is a Red base coupe 2lt with ZF1, npp, navigation and a few other options. No constraints that I could find to hold up the build.

Now the part caught me a little off guard. The sales manager who put in my order explained that it might be several months before the car got build because of the allocation system. He said that if Chevy give him say 5 slots this week, the dealership would order 5 cars that are paying full price.( without employee / supplier discounts) He made it sound like Chevy contacts dealers weekly for a list of cars to build. It's understandable that folks who ordered 2014's that wasn't build should be at top of the list for 15's.
After asking him if he thought I would see the car before Christmas, we was told not to get our hopes up. Talk about a downer..

Anyone know if the dealers decide weekly which cars get moved up the list? I was hoping a giant computer at GM decided to build say red cars today and blue tomorrow.
TIA
JB
Old 08-30-2014, 12:35 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Essentially what has happened here is that your dealer is telling you up front that they're going to jerk you around. When they get allocations, dealers decide which cars to order. They can choose to order your car or they can choose to order for other customers or dealer stock. There's nothing forcing them to order your car if they'd rather order a car that they think they can sell for more money.

From what you've said, it sounds like all the dealer is committing to you is that they've taken you out of the market; you have no assurance that you'll ever get your car. My best suggestion is to tell your dealer to take a flying leap and that you find another one who will order your car at a price that you're comfortable with.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:41 AM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

I'd be a little worried about that explanation.

Without constraints, its pretty straightforward. The dealer knows how many allocations he is going to get and he knows where you are on the list. The only variability is the exact date that allocation #x will occur.

One thing to note, the standard roof is on constraint, so that could hold you up. Only the Transparent Roof will go through without a problem.

Honestly, unless you are trying to get a Z51, Z06, one of the new items (colors, ground effects packages, etc), or something other than the transparent roof, there's no excuse for a dealer not being able to get your order through within the next month or so.

Just FYI, the constraints for this week are:
RPO............Description.............. ..................Availability
FAY............Carbon Fiber Dash..............................50%
Z51............Performance Package............................55%
C2Q............Dual Roof Package (Body Color and Transparent)..0%
C2Z............Visible Carbon Fiber Roof......................20%
C2M............Dual Roof Package (Visible CF and Transparent)..0%
G1H............Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic.................5%
EFY............Body Color Vents................................0%
CFZ............Carbon Fiber Ground Effects Package.............0%
SDN............Black/Silver Stem Valve Package.................0%
CFA............Standard roof (painted)........................35%
Q7E............Chrome Wheels................... ..............35%
1Y*67 & E57....Convertible Tonneau Cover/Carbon Fiber Inserts..0%
Old 08-30-2014, 01:17 AM
thegame9377
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dump your dealer, go with a forum dealer, and have your car in 8 weeks or do WITH the supplier discount. Can't stress that advice enough.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:58 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by j_bays
Anyone know if the dealers decide weekly which cars get moved up the list? I was hoping a giant computer at GM decided to build say red cars today and blue tomorrow.
TIA
JB
On a side note dealers get allocation every two weeks (Some are on a 3 week allocation for now) at that point they will know how many cars they get for that period, during consensus (the period after allocation they have to accept the cars) they designate the cars for GM to build as long as there are no constraints on the unit designated for build. So bottom line is yes the dealer can decide which get built, but not on a weekly basis.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:16 PM
j_bays
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies and the info.
It never dawned on me that some dealers play games with the discount programs. While surprised by the wait , I was still glad the dealer was upfront in disclosing the allocation priorities.
I assumed as soon as I gave a deposit, it would hit the bottom of "the List".
Hopefully they are giving worse case scenario and the car gets ordered in the next month or so.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:21 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,580 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame9377
Dump your dealer, go with a forum dealer, and have your car in 8 weeks or do WITH the supplier discount. Can't stress that advice enough.
I got jerked around by a non-forum dealer for three months before finding out they never had the allocations they assured me they had. This guy sounds fishy to me. I really believe I would go somewhere else...
Old 08-30-2014, 07:29 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame9377

Your dealer is a jerk.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:28 PM
C2367
Drifting

Received 309 Likes on 134 Posts

I ordered supplier from a dealer that gets 2-3 per mo. close to home and every thing he has told me is going along as good or better. It sat at 1100 from 07-05-14 #5 on the list and went to TPW 09-15-14 on 08-21-14. He told me nothing would happen until the middle of August and don't listen to the forum people. Was told I would be looking at getting the car in November but now it looks like the first part of October, that even better. I looked at the dealers web page and they have 3 or 4 15's in transit. I just hope price protection well not be a problem.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:34 PM
Ltespd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How the hell can the standard roof be on constraint? That's crazy.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:35 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Essentially what has happened here is that your dealer is telling you up front that they're going to jerk you around. When they get allocations, dealers decide which cars to order. They can choose to order your car or they can choose to order for other customers or dealer stock. There's nothing forcing them to order your car if they'd rather order a car that they think they can sell for more money.

From what you've said, it sounds like all the dealer is committing to you is that they've taken you out of the market; you have no assurance that you'll ever get your car. My best suggestion is to tell your dealer to take a flying leap and that you find another one who will order your car at a price that you're comfortable with.
I hate to agree whith such a negative- sounding response, but this guy (quote above) is exactly right. They're screwing you over!
Old 08-30-2014, 10:41 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ltespd
How the hell can the standard roof be on constraint? That's crazy.
It's been reported they are on constraint because Coupe orders are exceeding projections. Too many orders, not enough roofs in the pipeline. Looks like dealers learned their lessen last MY and have scaled back their vert orders.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:50 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,580 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
It's been reported they are on constraint because Coupe orders are exceeding projections. Too many orders, not enough roofs in the pipeline. Looks like dealers learned their lessen last MY and have scaled back their vert orders.
Interesting, because the same thing happened during MY 14. For awhile you could order the plexiglass roofs all day long, but not the painted roofs. You would think that GM would have learned their lesson and beefed up their orders to the supplier...
Old 09-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Beezvette
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm confused. How does the dealer allocation and supplier discount tie in together?
Today, we went to a Phoenix area dealership and placed an order for a 2015 Vette after waiting 2 months for the pricing to trickle down from GM. (( YES !!!!!)) I checked with about 6 or 7 local Chevy dealers and found only one who would honor the GM supplier discount. The car chosen is a Red base coupe 2lt with ZF1, npp, navigation and a few other options. No constraints that I could find to hold up the build.

Now the part caught me a little off guard. The sales manager who put in my order explained that it might be several months before the car got build because of the allocation system. He said that if Chevy give him say 5 slots this week, the dealership would order 5 cars that are paying full price.( without employee / supplier discounts) He made it sound like Chevy contacts dealers weekly for a list of cars to build. It's understandable that folks who ordered 2014's that wasn't build should be at top of the list for 15's.
After asking him if he thought I would see the car before Christmas, we was told not to get our hopes up. Talk about a downer..

TIA
JB
Since the pricing is the same no matter what dealer you go to, why not go to a forum dealer (who have experience with supplier discount) as previously suggested. No incentive to do otherwise since the car can be delivered anywhere, and any dealer will take it in for service if needed.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:10 AM
realefire
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies and the info.
It never dawned on me that some dealers play games with the discount programs. While surprised by the wait , I was still glad the dealer was upfront in disclosing the allocation priorities.
I assumed as soon as I gave a deposit, it would hit the bottom of "the List".
Hopefully they are giving worse case scenario and the car gets ordered in the next month or so.
Ordering, buying and waiting for a Vette to be delivered is like going on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride!!! Twists and turns, twists and turns!

Last edited by realefire; 09-01-2014 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 09-01-2014, 09:21 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverblue
Interesting, because the same thing happened during MY 14. For awhile you could order the plexiglass roofs all day long, but not the painted roofs. You would think that GM would have learned their lesson and beefed up their orders to the supplier...
The issue with the 14's was quality, too many rejects. Harlan is quoted as saying this isn't the case with the 15's, it's an over demand of coupes. The transparent roof is quicker to manufacture so my guess is that supplier can increase production faster than the CF based roof supplier so they don't put the entire coupe production on constraint.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Sailfun
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

TIA
JB
What he is saying is simple. We will take your deposit at the supplier price. If we can't sell every allocation we have at a higher price we will build your car. If we can get a higher price prior to each allocation cycle we will never build you a car.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer allocation and supplier discount question

Old 09-01-2014, 11:38 AM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not saying the dealer is right but if he has 5 customers who are willing to pay more, why would he **** off one of those customers to order a car for someone paying less? Yes - he should have told you this before taking your deposit.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

TIA
JB
There's some good advice here. Take it into consideration. I advise you to talk to your dealer more. They should not be putting orders ahead of you just because you have supplier discount. You seem to accept that explanation but that's completely unacceptable. They should be going in order according to their list if they have one. The only way you should get postponed is if constraints are the cause. Get some upfront answers, go to another dealer ASAP, or risk not even getting a car built this model year like so many did last year. Ordering a C7 with non-forum dealers isn't for the faint of heart. You must be diligent and do a little work on your end. I didn't get mine from a forum dealer but had a very good experience nonetheless. But I was sure to do my homework beforehand.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:19 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-C6
I'm not saying the dealer is right but if he has 5 customers who are willing to pay more, why would he **** off one of those customers to order a car for someone paying less? Yes - he should have told you this before taking your deposit.
Why should they be pissed? They don't have to know what everyone who buys a C7 at this dealer is paying. Either he's accepting the discount or not. You shouldn't tell someone you're accepting it, when in reality that's only if you can't sell them higher. I bought a Z51 Coupe at supplier price. Had it built in one month. You think my dealer couldn't have sold it at MSRP or more? Fact is, there are few standup dealers in relation to many dishonest snakes.

Quick Reply: Dealer allocation and supplier discount question