Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Coupe or Convertable

Old 08-22-2014, 07:10 AM
Rockyravoli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Coupe or Convertable

I am getting down to the final details on my 2015 corvette order; now on the fence to order the coup or vert? The dealer tells me he doesn't sell many convertibles here in Utah which made me question is there something wrong with the verts; why not so popular?
Our lean is towards the vert since we are trading our 2007 coup; wife hates having to pack and unpack the Targa lid just to go into a store.

Any concerns with a vert that would come into play on our decision?

Thanks
Old 08-22-2014, 07:19 AM
landsteam
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

I recently got the C7 convertible and love it. I had 3 different coupes C4, C5 & C6.
Just pressing a button and having the top go down is great. I was always to lazy to take the top on and off with the coupes.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:00 AM
earlszr1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rockyravoli
I am getting down to the final details on my 2015 corvette order; now on the fence to order the coup or vert? The dealer tells me he doesn't sell many convertibles here in Utah which made me question is there something wrong with the verts; why not so popular?
Our lean is towards the vert since we are trading our 2007 coup; wife hates having to pack and unpack the Targa lid just to go into a store.

Thanks
The convertible is suppose to be quieter, than the coupe. According to GM
Old 08-22-2014, 08:01 AM
Rockyravoli
Instructor

Originally Posted by landsteam
I recently got the C7 convertible and love it. I had 3 different coupes C4, C5 & C6.
Just pressing a button and having the top go down is great. I was always to lazy to take the top on and off with the coupes.
Do you find the truck space to be adequate for weekend get aways?
My dealer doesn't have one to look at to see for myself.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:11 AM
Woody
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
First St Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Lifetime Member

You do lose some trunk space, but still a decent amount for weekend trips. You can drop the partition for the top and add more storage space, but won't be able to drop. Go for it!!!
Old 08-22-2014, 08:17 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Love my C7 Vert. The power top is great, so far have driven about 80% of the 1,300 miles top down. Had a C6 coupe, many times didn't remove top because of weather concerns, not an issue with the remote operated C7 convertible. Trunk space is adequate, suggest soft travel bags.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:27 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm a Vert guy but on the C7, the Vert kills the lines. The Vert no longer looks sexy and aggressive from the sides or back.

When time comes to get the Z06, I more than likely will get back into a Vert as the wide rear fenders add some of the sexiness back in.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:03 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,185 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Do you find the truck space to be adequate for weekend get aways?
My dealer doesn't have one to look at to see for myself.
With the top up/on, you don't lose any actual usable space, because you can put the partition down in the vert. The numbers may read differently, but if you pack so you can see out the back window on the coupe, it really is a wash.

With the top down/off, you may even have more room in the vert, because the top takes up most of the usable room, when stored, in the coupe, but you still have most of the room left for stuff in the vert.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:03 AM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

My C6 is a convertible, the C7 I ordered is a coupe. While I love having a convertible, the summers around Chicago can be brutal and there aren't a lot of good days to put the top down. Frankly, when the temperature exceeds 80 degrees, the C6 with the top down can become uncomfortable, especially in stop and go and light traffic because of all the heat coming through the floorboards and firewall. You will roast. The alternative is to turn on the air conditioning and funnel it all through the foot wells to battle the heat soak. Not sure if they have improved this aspect of the C7 convertible.

I find the C6 with the top up to be cramped and uncomfortable. I feel like I'm in a small 2 person tent. You also have to contend with some major blind spots. To me, the convertible is no fun with the top up.

Overall, I would say if you have a lot of good top down weather, go with the convertible. If you have really hot summers, mixed with a lot of rain, go with the coupe. The standard painted carbon fiber roof on the coupe only weighs 16 pounds so taking it off and putting it back on is pretty easy when you want that almost convertible experience.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:18 AM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
I'm a Vert guy but on the C7, the Vert kills the lines. The Vert no longer looks sexy and aggressive from the sides or back.
I have to agree with this. I thought the C6 (with the top down) was better looking than the coupe. The C7 convertible with the top down just doesn't do it for me, I prefer the styling of the C7 coupe. But either way, convertible or coupe, it is a great car. Just a matter of preference.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:21 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Vert all the way. I love the rag top lines...top up or down.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,187 Likes on 13,911 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by zbrett
Overall, I would say if you have a lot of good top down weather, go with the convertible. If you have really hot summers, mixed with a lot of rain, go with the coupe. The standard painted carbon fiber roof on the coupe only weighs 16 pounds so taking it off and putting it back on is pretty easy when you want that almost convertible experience.
Good advice. I happen to like the lines on the coupe better, but it really comes down to what will meet your needs.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:25 AM
whitec7
Burning Brakes

Received 609 Likes on 234 Posts

coupe, better lines from the rear.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:27 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Thanks
Too hot and too many long distances is the reason people aren't buying convertibles in Utah, I suspect. A 'vert is ideal for cruising around town on a balmy evening, but add in baking sun and/or high speeds and you're going to be happier with air conditioning, a roof over your head and no wind noise.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:34 AM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

One other thing I forgot to mention. A lot of race tracks will not allow you to run a convertible unless you have a roll bar. So if you are planning on tracking the car, a convertible might be a no go.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:36 AM
VetteGirlMA
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a C6 convertible but a C7 coupe. Here are my thoughts:

The coupe top on the C7 is carbon fiber and extremely light. I weighs only a few pounds, but it is bulky. With the top on, I can use the C7 to go grocery shopping and I actually have done it once or twice just to try it. It has a boatload of space compared to the convertible.

With the convertible top down on my C6 it is a fantastically beautiful car. It really looks nice. Plus the top can up and down easily. I found myself trapped in a light rain this past summer and the top is back up in 15 seconds or so. With the top down, there is still storage space just not a lot of it. I tried grocery shopping with the C6 with the top down and surprise sunrise it still all fit in the trunk.

The problem is both versions a equally pretty cars. Choosing one is difficult. I have been laboring here thinking of a C7 Z06 upgrade but I cannot make my mind up. I love the grand touring feeling of a convertible, but I also like the more practical nature of the coupe. Good luck in your decision!
Old 08-22-2014, 09:53 AM
commander112
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My former C4's were both coupes and my C7 is a convertible. My deciding factors were. 1) I am pretty **** about my cars. I therefore figured this was never going to see a track which allowed me to get the vert. 2) I have always been a top down guy as often as I can be. 3) While the coupe roof is certainly lighter and easier to release in the C7 it is still bulky and means having to walk it around to the hatch area. 4) The chassis was designed as a vert and is way more structurally sound as a vert now with no cowl shake at all. 5) Ease of operation, electric top means you can go up or down quickly and can now raise or lower the top at speeds up to 30 mph allowing you to raise or lower the top at a stop light on a whim. Since I drive a M7 car I can lower the top with the key fob to release the summer heat before getting in the warm car with no auto start. 6) All of my friends (male and female) said to get the vert. To them it just looked sexier despite some of the opinions raised here.

Get notified of new replies

To 2015 Coupe or Convertable

Old 08-22-2014, 10:02 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Coupe all the way. The lines look better and you can still get a similar experience by removing the roof. The verts are selling in lower numbers because alot of folks agree with what I just said.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:39 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by zbrett
My C6 is a convertible, the C7 I ordered is a coupe. While I love having a convertible, the summers around Chicago can be brutal and there aren't a lot of good days to put the top down. Frankly, when the temperature exceeds 80 degrees, the C6 with the top down can become uncomfortable, especially in stop and go and light traffic because of all the heat coming through the floorboards and firewall. You will roast. The alternative is to turn on the air conditioning and funnel it all through the foot wells to battle the heat soak. Not sure if they have improved this aspect of the C7 convertible.

I find the C6 with the top up to be cramped and uncomfortable. I feel like I'm in a small 2 person tent. You also have to contend with some major blind spots. To me, the convertible is no fun with the top up.

The new totally power top on the C7 makes top down operation just seconds away. Perfect for climates where the weather isn't ideal. I have never used a car with virtually instant changeability. Example: Top down drive to shopping mall, put top up and lock car. Exit mall and lower top as you walk to car, drive home top down. Fast/easy, try that with a coupe.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:44 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,356 Likes on 784 Posts

Nothing like top town at the push of a button. If you're not going to track your car, get the vert.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Coupe or Convertable