C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you lose the HUD feature if you install aftermarket in dash nav??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 12:31 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Default Do you lose the HUD feature if you install aftermarket in dash nav??

Thread title pretty much says it all but a friend wanted to install an in dash garmin nav in his stingray but said he had heard his HUD would no longer work. I wanted to know as well because I plan to also install this on my Z06 when I get one. I don't want to order the PDR with the factory nav. I just prefer the Garmin units and I dont want a hand held unit. I don't mind losing the HUD I just wanted to know if that was the case. Thanks !!
Old 08-22-2014, 08:02 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Ttt!!
Old 08-22-2014, 08:07 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The in dash infotainment system is fully integrated with the dash and the cars electronics. If you replace that with an aftermarket head unit you lose all the vehicle configuration menus and who knows what else.

The days of replacing head units in cars is a thing of the past with all the electronics integrations. With that said, I don't think it would effect the HUD.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:17 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mjw930
The in dash infotainment system is fully integrated with the dash and the cars electronics. If you replace that with an aftermarket head unit you lose all the vehicle configuration menus and who knows what else.

The days of replacing head units in cars is a thing of the past with all the electronics integrations. With that said, I don't think it would effect the HUD.
Oh ok, that sounds like a bad idea then. Maybe some kind of custom placed handheld unit is a better way to go. Thank you!! I seen a few guys on here put some behind that screen. I just wonder if it will constantly lose signal.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:38 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,073 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

There are companies that are now making devices that will let you connect your smart phone to the C7 screen. Nav from phone will appear on screen and voice commands will come thru car speaker, but without the touch functions on screen, you still need to use the phone to manage inputs.

found one http://autospatech.com

Last edited by george vee; 08-22-2014 at 08:40 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Do you lose the HUD feature if you install aftermarket in dash nav??

Quick Reply: Do you lose the HUD feature if you install aftermarket in dash nav??