Sponsored by:

Nashville?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 06:12 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Nashville?

I keep reading references to Nashville so I went back and searched trying to piece together what happened. Some sort of QC hold. People flying to Nashville to get their cars? The threads are too fragmented to get a clear picture. Anyone care to briefly summarize NashvilleGate. Thanks
Old 08-19-2014, 06:20 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

During the launch of the 2014 cars and since it was a new vehicle platform there were extensive quality checks needed to be put in place and manufacturing practices to iron out once the line was getting up to full speed.

Since the line had started and vehicles were being produced, it didn't take long for the hold lot in Bowling Green to become full. A location had to be picked that was secure, in close proximity and designed to accommodate a large number of vehicles, a rail head in Nashville was selected and secured to transfer the hold lot cars out to be reviewed, inspected and worked on as necessary. Some of the earliest cars built spent up to 8 weeks in the hold lot (either at the plant or at Nashville) until the production was released.

Lots of drama for the new owners, lots of rumor, speculation and stories.

Everyone is getting awfully worked up about the start of the '15's. This is no different than the start of any other model year with the exception that it isn't happening during the plants annual shutdown over the first two weeks of July. The first Corvettes produced during any model year launch are held while the validation process happens (captured test fleet vehicles are built ahead of production and driven during the hold period. This is designed to shake out any production or part issues prior to sending the cars to their new owners. Nothing for people to be alarmed about. This is not Nashville. This is good (and routine) automotive manufacturing practice to attempt to put the very best foot forward and produce an automobile of the quality that the new owner expects.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:57 PM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
During the launch of the 2014 cars and since it was a new vehicle platform there were extensive quality checks needed to be put in place and manufacturing practices to iron out once the line was getting up to full speed.

Since the line had started and vehicles were being produced, it didn't take long for the hold lot in Bowling Green to become full. A location had to be picked that was secure, in close proximity and designed to accommodate a large number of vehicles, a rail head in Nashville was selected and secured to transfer the hold lot cars out to be reviewed, inspected and worked on as necessary. Some of the earliest cars built spent up to 8 weeks in the hold lot (either at the plant or at Nashville) until the production was released.

Also remember there was some shipped to Roush Industries, Lavonia MI, still no word on what was done there. How do I know this my #0170 was trucked from there to here and not on a Cooper transport, I still have the shipping document showing this. The car was manufactured on 8/28/13 and I took delivery the end of October.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:58 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Everyone is getting awfully worked up about the start of the '15's. This is no different than the start of any other model year with the exception that it isn't happening during the plants annual shutdown over the first two weeks of July. The first Corvettes produced during any model year launch are held while the validation process happens (captured test fleet vehicles are built ahead of production and driven during the hold period. This is designed to shake out any production or part issues prior to sending the cars to their new owners. Nothing for people to be alarmed about. This is not Nashville. This is good (and routine) automotive manufacturing practice to attempt to put the very best foot forward and produce an automobile of the quality that the new owner expects.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:01 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DCBE
Also remember there was some shipped to Roush Industries, Lavonia MI, still no word on what was done there. How do I know this my #0170 was trucked from there to here and not on a Cooper transport, I still have the shipping document showing this. The car was manufactured on 8/28/13 and I took delivery the end of October.
Lots of speculation! GM Still claims it was a QC hold but I call BS.
There was a tent down there where they were performing some sort of work.

Makes no sense to truck 1000 or so C7's down to Nashville for a QC, they could have just performed the QC at BG for the 2 weeks they were at BG waiting to goto Nashville.

My car, VIN 378, had a sticker on the windshield from some software company.

For the sake of the low VIN 15' owners, I hope it's not Nashville all over! That was painful!
Old 08-19-2014, 08:47 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You do realize they went to Nashville because there was no room at BG and if we need to look for a reason back then, is the exposed CF roof as well as the body colored roof on limited constraint even now? Chevy normally qc holds the first two or three weeks of regular production and the fact it appears to be following that history should mean nothing more than it has learned from past experiences to be careful.

There may be no qc problem but until engineering has a chance and time to so determine this is what we have, And we also have some assurance that the parts fit and the components work and a new Corvette delivered to a buyer will meet and hopefully exceed all expectations. Something we all should want.

Laborsmith
Old 08-22-2014, 10:10 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
and there lies the frustration; it was eagerly announced that there wasn't to be a 2 week changeover shutdown; because there was sooooo little difference between '14 and '15 models.

I figured something was up, because if no 2 week shutdown, then the next years production would of started bright & early Monday morning July 7th.

Lest face it; the continuance of the 2014 production was due to the A8 porgraming and the PDR not being completely ready for installation yet. They were simply buying time.
If that's your guess. You're wrong.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:11 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Everyone is getting awfully worked up about the start of the '15's. This is no different than the start of any other model year with the exception that it isn't happening during the plants annual shutdown over the first two weeks of July.
and there lies the frustration; it was eagerly announced that there wasn't to be a 2 week changeover shutdown; because there was sooooo little difference between '14 and '15 models.

I figured something was up, because if no 2 week shutdown, then the next years production would of started bright & early Monday morning July 7th.

Lets face it; the continuance of the 2014 production was due to the A8 programing and the PDR not being completely ready for installation yet. They were simply buying time.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:12 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

If that's your guess. You're wrong.
linky or source? If I'm wrong, then you must know exactly then

why not start the 15's then on July 7th; more customers were waiting for the second-year C7 to be produced (the reasons - even if not warranted - were real on the minds of C7 buyers).

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 08-22-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:19 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

linky or source?
My source is me.

With respect to the '14 production year, the '14's had a late start and there was a target quantity that needed to be produced to accomplish the goals that were established for the plant. There were also enough orders left on the books that it warranted completing the model run by finishing as many of those orders in the system as possible.

The 8 speed was intended to be launched on the Z06 only. It was finished EARLY which is why it was unveiled and released for the base car in '15.

The PDR was a 2014 package. 99% of it was done by mid model year. I drove a PDR car, in 2014, well ahead of the planned implementation. It was however, not good enough for track duty which it was planned. What changed was the implementation of the hardware that the manufacturer designed the PDR around. It is a racing telemetry package that was incorporated in to a production vehicle.

The 2015's have changes just like any other model year. There are suppliers making parts, just like any other model year. Even some of the parts that made the '14 will change going in the '15. Everyone thinks that the only thing that changed is the color orange and the 8 speed, again, they would be wrong. Things change. Things that were '14 parts that didn't make it, get introduced at the model year break. Things that suppliers need relief on get introduced at the model year break. There are calibration changes and refinements that need to be validated. These things happen in the CTF and they all need to be driven and approved. Until everything is signed off, no cars ship.

Last edited by talon90; 08-22-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:00 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

My source is me.
If thats your guess on the 2015 delay...
then its a guess as well.

There are things we're not being told... or are being fed cover-stories about. You`re guessing that we are being given the straight explanation.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:15 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

If thats your guess on the 2015 delay...
then its a guess as well.

There are things we're not being told... or are being fed cover-stories about. You`re guessing that we are being given the straight explanation.
I generally don't guess about the things I post. Everyone always wants to hate GM and there always has to be a conspiracy theory. Love that big bad GM, trying to keep the little guy down story. I guess that's what makes a forum. I don't engage in it. If I have something to say, I say it. If I don't, I don't.

GM's only obligation is to produce and ship the best car they can. The delay to '15 production was announced well before the end of the '14 run. That much was public. I've been involved in automotive manufacturing, sometimes a car not shipping is just that, there isn't always some underlying cover story to hide any facts. There was never anything that said that they would ship by any given date.

I'm going to guess that '15's will start shipping next week...and that is just my educated guess.

They didn't take a shutdown this year to close out the '14 model, that much was discussed somewhat publicly at the Bash in April. The shutdown period is used to PM and refurbish the equipment. The line had been down for 9 months in a total refit to launch the '14, no need to PM or refurbish brand new equipment. As a result however, there needs to be some time to validate the '15 builds. Like I said previously, things other than color have changed and they can't ship until they validate the process. Regardless of what I say, folk are going to believe what they want to believe. I'm ok with that. Not here to fight and certainly can't argue. Perception is reality to those perceiving.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:38 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

This is hear say, so I cannot confirm, but I heard that the Nashville cars last year, my car included, supposedly had to have the oil pans replaced, which is not a big deal.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:45 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

I generally don't guess about the things I post. Everyone always wants to hate GM and there always has to be a conspiracy theory. Love that big bad GM, trying to keep the little guy down story. I guess that's what makes a forum. I don't engage in it. If I have something to say, I say it. If I don't, I don't.

GM's only obligation is to produce and ship the best car they can. The delay to '15 production was announced well before the end of the '14 run. That much was public. I've been involved in automotive manufacturing, sometimes a car not shipping is just that, there isn't always some underlying cover story to hide any facts. There was never anything that said that they would ship by any given date.

I'm going to guess that '15's will start shipping next week...and that is just my educated guess.

They didn't take a shutdown this year to close out the '14 model, that much was discussed somewhat publicly at the Bash in April. The shutdown period is used to PM and refurbish the equipment. The line had been down for 9 months in a total refit to launch the '14, no need to PM or refurbish brand new equipment. As a result however, there needs to be some time to validate the '15 builds. Like I said previously, things other than color have changed and they can't ship until they validate the process. Regardless of what I say, folk are going to believe what they want to believe. I'm ok with that. Not here to fight and certainly can't argue. Perception is reality to those perceiving.
I hear ya guy, but look at it as the 2015s are being delayed... and not this cover story about them wanting to build more 2014s.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:36 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,106 Likes on 6,184 Posts

I hear ya guy, but look at it as the 2015s are being delayed... and not this cover story about them wanting to build more 2014s.
Delayed? 2015 production actually started a little earlier than what was announced MONTHS ago.

You'd do well to heed what Paul has to say. He has a great deal of insight, sources, etc.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:50 AM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

S/N 151 here and a Nashville inmate for nearly 8 weeks, the frustrating part for us held the longest.....at least for me was that many with much higher vins were getting cars well before most of the Nashville pen inmates. plus for many of us up north winter was fast approaching. but it all worked out and I have a great Corvette that I love with nearly 10K miles and not a single issue worth mentioning.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:36 AM
cib12
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hold overs

GM is a huge corp that is looking for profit, I would think they want the cars out there and sold as quick as possible. Costs less to take care of problems before they get to the dealer and then customer. I really don't think it was some kind of a game!
Old 08-23-2014, 06:42 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Is the 2015 "QC hold" the same as the 2014 "QC hold in terms of total days?
Old 08-23-2014, 07:57 AM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We all hope not as the 2014 QC Hold extended far beyond normal due to quality issues.

Laborsmith

Get notified of new replies

To Nashville?

Quick Reply: Nashville?