Sponsored by:

Dealer won't change oil until under 20% oil life remaining

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 01:41 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
My dealership said I get 4 free oil changes, and that I can use them whenever I please during the first 2 years/24k miles.
I'm at 11,000 miles and have had 2 free oil changes so far.

When I took delivery last September the service manager said to be sure to have it changed at 6 month intervals so I'd get all 4 of the free oil changes I was entitled to. (I had asked about the 20% requirement. He said it's at the discretion of the service manager, not sure if he meant just Corvettes or other Chevys too).
Old 08-14-2014, 02:06 PM
aquavettes
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

At the time of picking up my car the dealer told me I get 4 free oil changes.

I asked if I could get the oil changed after about 1000 mi. and he said I could have it changed after 20 miles if I wanted. Four free oil changes equals four free oil changes, period.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:14 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Either find another dealer.. or DIY. You can DIY your for around $50 including the filter.

Its simply not worth fighting with the dealer for something you can do so cheaply & easily yourself.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:18 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Why are you guys getting your oil changed early? Why not just let the oil life get down to 0%? I didn't see anything in the break in procedure about the oil needing to be changed early.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:30 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Oil change at less than 1000 and 4000 to 5000 after that I got push back on my wife's SS. Hey I have the oil and filter change it I said they did.
z51vett
Doug
Old 08-14-2014, 03:34 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdm23
Why are you guys getting your oil changed early? Why not just let the oil life get down to 0%? I didn't see anything in the break in procedure about the oil needing to be changed early.
That's also a great point. GM made the car. GM warranties the car for 5yrs/100,000 miles. GM services the car.

If GM says the oil life counter is the measurement that should be used. And that oil should be changed under 20%. Do any of us really have any proven/factual scientific evidence to refute their maintenance policy? Or are many of us still sticking by rules that applied 50 years ago that said you should change the oil every 3,000 miles or 3 months?

Cars, technology and fluids have changed a ton over the last 50 years.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:34 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Old school that's me don't care how good build is or how good oil is, filter only holds so much metal and that combined with oil makes cutting oil for machining parts.
z51vett
Doug
Old 08-14-2014, 04:59 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by W88fixer
20% “rule” is being followed by the two dealers closest to me.

I’ve always changed my own oil and will do so here as well.

With the number of miles I will put on the car, I won’t get to 20% until the max of a year occurs and I won’t leave oil in any car that long.

First oil change will be in a couple of hours, Castrol Edge Extended Performance synthetic and Fram XG10060 synthetic filter at just over 1000 miles. Will move to an every 7 mo or so change interval afterward.

Your call. Don
Not a Fram!!!

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-fram-filters

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...d-137994.html?

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230377

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...-story.295635/

http://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coup...er-failed.html
Old 08-14-2014, 05:07 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by ddman718
Just called my dealer today to get my first oil change. I have 2500 miles on my c7 with a 67% oil life remaining. But they informed me that I have to wait until it hits 20% and that they don't go by the mileage. If i do decide to get it done before that... I would have to come out of pocket. My question is... Is it OK or normal to wait till you hit the 20% marker? Thanks for the input
Ddman718,

Oil changes vary by service departments at dealerships since that they are all independently owned and operated. That being said, here’s some information from the Owner’s Manual (page 10-16) that may help:

When to Change Engine Oil
This vehicle has a computer that indicates when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on a combination of factors which include engine revolutions, engine temperature, and miles driven. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change is indicated can vary considerably.

The on-board computer takes in many variables in order to accurately display your oil life. I can reach out to your dealership and gather more information if you’d like, or I can try and locate a nearby dealership that changes Corvette oil at different intervals if that is what you wish to do. Please PM me you name, VIN, contact info, and current dealership if you are interested in moving forward with one of these options.

Jeff M
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 08-14-2014, 05:15 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
That's also a great point. GM made the car. GM warranties the car for 5yrs/100,000 miles. GM services the car.

If GM says the oil life counter is the measurement that should be used. And that oil should be changed under 20%. Do any of us really have any proven/factual scientific evidence to refute their maintenance policy? Or are many of us still sticking by rules that applied 50 years ago that said you should change the oil every 3,000 miles or 3 months?

Cars, technology and fluids have changed a ton over the last 50 years.
You have a point, however, GM will also probably tell you that burning a qt of oil per 1000 miles is OK and won’t do anything about oil consumption until it reaches that level. I want NOTHING to do with oil consumption of a qt per 1000. Never had a car that did that and I have to think that regular oil changes had a positive bearing on my experience.

Keeping oil cleaner would seem likely to minimize engine wear. Do not think keeping oil in the crankcase for a year is a great idea. Condensation and acidic buildup seems highly probable.

Do as you wish, I’ll change the oil earlier. Don
Old 08-14-2014, 05:42 PM
smajicek
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ddman718
Just called my dealer today to get my first oil change. I have 2500 miles on my c7 with a 67% oil life remaining. But they informed me that I have to wait until it hits 20% and that they don't go by the mileage. If i do decide to get it done before that... I would have to come out of pocket. My question is... Is it OK or normal to wait till you hit the 20% marker? Thanks for the input
Just find another dealer and speak with the service manager, build a rapport with him and he will change your oil 4 times in 2 years whenever you ask him to. I had 1,400 miles and 86% on my car after 3 months of driving and I also asked for mobil 1 oil. My out of pocket cost $0
Old 08-14-2014, 06:04 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,579 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Just yesterday I had my first FREE oil change with 3100 miles on the car.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:10 PM
WB6HRO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The oil should be changed once a year or when the oil life is near 0%.

Changing it any sooner is a waste of money!

Now I'll back that up with the following, on my 2002 Z06 with 70,000 miles (was traded in on C7) and my 2009 ZR1 with 40,000 miles I've always done once a year or near 0%.

That said I also take an oil sample at each oil change and send it in to Blackstone Labs for analysis. I've never had any contamination, excessive wear, and the viscosity and flash point are well above the minimums for Mobile 1. This includes several weekends on a road course.

I would pay the extra charge to have them refill it with Mobil 1 rather than the blend they are using now Dextros.

The old school of changing oil at 3,000 miles is not valid with synthetic oil.

The service manager at my dealer recommended changing it more often because "Moisture builds up in the engine" and my reply was "that's interesting because there has never been any water present in any of my analysis reports!

Joe
Old 08-14-2014, 06:14 PM
C7FEVER
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1888 miles and my dealer changed without question.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:19 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

I don’t claim to know all about the filter business but one company in the US builds most all of all brand name filters. They’re just rebadged by the selling company.

Talked with that company. They said the XG10060 was about the only fully synthetic media filter on the market. Don
Old 08-14-2014, 08:27 PM
tbasco 6
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by WB6HRO

Now I'll back that up with the following, on my 2002 Z06 with 70,000 miles (was traded in on C7) and my 2009 ZR1 with 40,000 miles I've always done once a year or near 0%.

That said I also take an oil sample at each oil change and send it in to Blackstone Labs for analysis. I've never had any contamination, excessive wear, and the viscosity and flash point are well above the minimums for Mobile 1. This includes several weekends on a road course.

I would pay the extra charge to have them refill it with Mobil 1 rather than the blend they are using now Dextros.

The service manager at my dealer recommended changing it more often because "Moisture builds up in the engine" and my reply was "that's interesting because there has never been any water present in any of my analysis reports!

Joe
I find it interesting that you think it's a waste of money to change oil before 0% and yet you send samples off to a lab at every change. Why would you spend the money to have it analyzed at every change if you are comfortable with these intervals?
Old 08-14-2014, 08:51 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 345 Likes on 222 Posts

You guys know that mileage is immaterial right?

The algorithm the car uses is based on engine revolutions, not mileage. Plus temperatures and a few other measurements. But it is built on revs, not miles. Some of you may hit 20% at 2,000 miles and others may hit 20% at 5,000 miles.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer won't change oil until under 20% oil life remaining

Old 08-14-2014, 10:13 PM
Mr Snappy!
Melting Slicks

Received 590 Likes on 163 Posts

I had an interesting discussion with my dealer when I got my first oil change two weeks ago about this subject. I had 4500 miles on the clock and I think the oil life was around 45%

I asked my service dept (Hendrick in KC) if there was any set oil percentage to use my free oil changes. He said, "absolutely not, you get 4, when you use them is up to you" This is consistent with what I had read here from others.

Then I asked him why some dealers have the 20% rule. His response was interesting. He told me that the free maintenance on Certified Pre-Owned cars from 2013 backwards stated in the program rules that the oil-life meter had to be 20% or lower in order to get an oil change.

He also said that most dealers are too lazy and maybe a little greedy by not understanding the new maintenance plan guidelines.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:18 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

I bet dinosaurs are rolling over in their graves. So much fossil fuel being wasted.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:37 PM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WB6HRO

Joe
And what was his response after you said that?
1 Dead stare with mouth closed
2 Dead stare with mouth open
3 Oh
4 tuned head in other direction

I agree with that old school 3,000 mile change dosn't apply to todays hi-tech oil it's almost a art form how good the oils are today.

Quick Reply: Dealer won't change oil until under 20% oil life remaining