C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2014 C7 Stingray is better than my 1962 Corvair Monza was.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 05:19 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
I've actually got a 1963 Corvair Monza Convertible in my garage. It has been in the family since it was new. Fire engine red with white top, white interior. Only problem it ever had is the ever present oil leaks from that pancake air-cooled 6 cylinder. The thing that was unsafe at any speed was Ralph Nader. I've had that Corvair up to 110 mph.
Don’t know if the 63 was the later version or not. The early version had a rear suspension almost identical to the VW and idiot Nader never crucified the VW. The second version was a pretty good handler and it died along with the early one. Nader is a clueless ***, always has been always will be along with his toady understudy, Joan Claybrook.

Everytime the lamestream media wants to pick on the car industry the trot Claybrook out to whine about safety issues. Sigh
Old 08-14-2014, 05:25 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by W88fixer
Don’t know if the 63 was the later version or not. The early version had a rear suspension almost identical to the VW and idiot Nader never crucified the VW. The second version was a pretty good handler and it died along with the early one. Nader is a clueless ***, always has been always will be along with his toady understudy, Joan Claybrook.

Everytime the lamestream media wants to pick on the car industry the trot Claybrook out to whine about safety issues. Sigh
I think the 62 was the 2nd version. My parents had a 61 and my 62 Monza handled much better.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:27 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

I've actually got a 1963 Corvair Monza Convertible in my garage. It has been in the family since it was new. Fire engine red with white top, white interior. Only problem it ever had is the ever present oil leaks from that pancake air-cooled 6 cylinder. The thing that was unsafe at any speed was Ralph Nader. I've had that Corvair up to 110 mph.
Can you post a pic in this thread?
Old 08-14-2014, 05:47 PM
Old buckeye
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 33 Posts

For $24,500 you could live the dream again!!

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...r/1674510.html

Enjoyed your story.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:56 PM
WB6HRO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 66 Turbo Corsa, great car! I put Velvet Touch brake shoes on it and gas shocks and just loved blowing the doors off Porches going up twisty mountain roads. They could never figure out how a Corvair could do that in early 70's.

Funny thing it had head rest seats and the head rest were the same as the 66 Corvette!

Also a bit of trivia the rear suspension on the later Corvairs was a copy of the C2 Corvette only smaller. The outer rear wheel bearing on the Corvair was the same as the inner one on the Corvette!

They also did not leak oil if you used silicone O rings on the engine with a torque wrench and anti-seize compound. It was one of the first aluminum engines and most mechanics didn't know how torque them properly.

Yes our C7 is a quantum leap over the 60's technology and I wouldn't go back.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:59 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 836 Likes on 456 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Actually 1965 was when the Corvair went from the early VW type swing axle rear suspension to the independent (as in Corvette midyear type) rear suspension. The '64 was just a swing axle with a stabilizer spring added to try to prevent the rear wheels from tucking under. I had a '65 140 HP Corsa convertible, which was a pretty nice car and handled really well. The oil leakage problem was due to overheating of the original rubber oil return tube 'O rings and was easily fixed by replacing with Viton seals.

Charles
Old 08-14-2014, 06:37 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

My first car was a 1965 500 coupe with a power glide transmission. Went to college with that car and had lots of fun, traded it on a 1970 Cutlass. I have a clone of that car with less than 15,000 miles. It doesn't handle bad for a vintage car, I drive it about 200 miles a year, when you have a C7 you just hate to drive anything else. Oh, I had my original Corvair up to 100 MPH (never do that again, front end got really light).
Old 08-14-2014, 06:45 PM
bglmn
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've actually got a 1963 Corvair Monza Convertible in my garage. It has been in the family since it was new.

I'm thinking a little preventive maintenance goes

a long way on those cars.

Quick Reply: My 2014 C7 Stingray is better than my 1962 Corvair Monza was.