C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will I be unhappy with a Base C7 1LT? Why to get 2LT or 3TL?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 06:50 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I'd consider a 1LT Z51. It's got the exhaust, nice wheels and spoiler.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:39 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,640 Likes on 6,640 Posts

Originally Posted by Tfreestyle
I had a budget of 40k for my next car and I decided to just bite the bullet and spend the extra cash on a c7 and treat myself to my first brand new car but trying to be semi reasonable on the options so looking at just the base 1lt with auto trans. Will i regret that decision? What would be the main reasons to get a 2lt or 3lt?

Seems that every dealer around me only has 2lt and 3lt so I was considering the corvette museum delivery, Has anyone done the corvette museum delivery? Worth the $995? Seems alittle dumb to spend 1k on that but I have time to do a road trip and totally enjoy my new corvette so I think it would be a great life experience picking up the car there, something I will never forget to commemorate my first new new car.
Hmm, considering your budget, I'd buy from a dealer like Kerbeck and have Courtesy Delivery locally. That will save you several thousand dollars and they can order exactly what you want. They are the largest dealer in the US and order many Vettes every week. They will not mind ordering a stripped Vette where a local dealer with limited allocation wants to maximize their profit with options etc.

Getting to Bowlng Green from CA will cost airfare, a stay in hotels there and back home etc. I'd save the money and buy a 2LT!

Just look at the list of extras you get with a 2LT. To me HUD, Memory Seats and Lumbar Adjustment are worth it if you don't need anything else. Not easy getting in and out of a Vette and having the seat automatically go back when you open the door makes a big difference. Don't know how old you are but keeping your eyes on the road makes HUD worth it IMO. I would not buy a car without Lumbar adjustment. Depends on your back but I can adjust my C7 seat so it is very comfortable even on long trips. I don't have back problems but some years ago sold a Honda Accord that was putting pressure in the wrong spot! Even had to spend quite a bit of time adjusting the wife's top of the line seats in her 5X BMW SUV to a point where I was happy when driving it on long trips!

To save another $1000+ get a standard shift. More fun, IMO and the newly added rev match makes it even easier and nicer to drive.

Last edited by JerryU; 07-04-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:52 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by 20171LE
Get a base C7 with ZERO options, giving you a stickshift.
It's the only Corvette that makes any sense after the ridiculous price increases and will give you everything you need in the car, even as a daily driver.
But what about those that need and want the features of the 2LT or 3LT? Meaning the 1LT doesn't provide them with everything the need and want in a car. This is the case for 10s of thousands of people. The 2LT or 3LT would make perfect sense for that very large group of people, correct?
Old 07-04-2016, 11:07 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,063 Posts

The main thing to remember here for the original poster is what options he likes and will use regarding Lt2 and Lt3. I bought a base Lt1 because I don't use head up display, heated and cooled seats, lumbar adjustments, memory seats, better alarm system, etc. You get the idea. And hey, they are all great additions if you like them. But why pay for something you could not care less for if you don't have to have them or will use them? Of all the numerous options that come with Lt2 and 3 is the front camera. I would have really have liked that. But not going to spend thousands of dollars for it.
Now I spent my money on what others have no interest in, but meant a great deal to me. Transparent roof, body colored vents, A8, Long Beach Red was even a thousand dollars extra, Performance exhaust, Performance data recorder with Navigation. I just had to have all those items. Foolish to others I suppose, but not to me. So to the OP examine the options and buy what you like and would use. As simple as that. I just wish that with these options you could pick and choose individually on a lot of these without having to take a whole package.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:35 AM
z06vettewannabe
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenkirby21
I don't think you should need anything else!

I am 23 and got a laguna blue 1LT with performance exhaust and the suede performance seats/steering wheel/shifter.

With suppliers discount, it was around 52k!

The base C7 has really everything you need. Performance (obviously), leather seats, bluetooth streaming, back up cameras, bose sound, etc.

Everything else I like to think of as amenities, which you don't really need to survive : ).

I learned my technology lesson on my BMW.

"usb and ipod adaptor" were $500 options that are now standard on every car and I used a minimal amount of times : ). Same with navigation. I don't see a point of paying $2000 for it on cars when phones have it (and its usually better IMO).
Good on you for being able to get a Vette at 23. Virtually all the 23 year olds I know couldn't do it!
Old 07-04-2016, 11:39 AM
DestinVette
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

You're really Jim Gaffigan, the stand-up comedian, right?
Old 07-04-2016, 12:17 PM
joeybsyc
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 219 Posts

I was totally set to order a black bare bones 1LT with the only option being performance exhaust. I soon stumbled on a used year old 2LT Z51 in black with tons of options. The car had just over 1500 miles and was perfect. I bought it for right around the same price as I was going to pay for the new 1LT stripper. Unless you're dead set on buying new, don't rule out lightly used Corvettes, as they can be found in just about every color and trim combo possible, and often for a nice savings over new. I basically looked at it like I was getting 16,000 worth of options for free by buying a car with 1500 miles vs 0 miles.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:08 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by killascrimp
if you are penny wise, get a 1lt, Get blk interior because it looks just like the 2&3lt.
As the owner of a 3lt with red interior I don't understand your logic. If you think the only thing a 2 or 3lt have is a black interior then you obviously don't know what additions you get with a 2 or 3lt.

Originally Posted by Greenkirby21
Everything else I like to think of as amenities, which you don't really need to survive : ).
Technically you don't even need a car to survive! I mean really? We are talking about purchasing an expensive sports car. We get it not because we need it to survive but because we want it. Make list of what you get in a 2lt that you don't have in a 1lt and the same thing with the 3lt. Decide which things you want. Then purchase what you desire. This is a car of desire, not of necessity.

Same with navigation. I don't see a point of paying $2000 for it on cars when phones have it (and its usually better IMO).
Well for one, so you can use the PDR (if that's important to you) or 2) so you can use Android Auto.

Originally Posted by flst8nole
The 2lt is sooooo worth the extra money. The HUD is incredible. You probably wouldn't miss it if you didn't have it because you wouldn't know what you were missing. Once you drive with the HUD you will never want to drive without it again.
but I went for a 3lt myself. I wanted it all. This car is my "ride into the sunset". I figure I'll daily drive it for about 10 years then it will be my Sunday ride and I'll get whatever Tesla's putting out 10 years from now for commuting. Imagine what they might be... Electric Jeep perhaps?

As for the HUD, my previous car, a 2013 Camaro, also had it (and my 2008 vette had it too). IOW other (GM?) cars have it.

Originally Posted by Tfreestyle
I cant justify the extra expense if for my application its not completely needed.
Rid yourself of the notion of being needed. Nothing is needed here. Things are desired. Get the things you desire and think you will use. If there's something you think you might desire but aren't sure then mention it here and people will chime in as to whether they think it's worth it. Many say, for example, that the Nav unit is not worth the price. But it is necessary for the PDR (should you use that, which is used not only for Performance Data Recording but also in Valet mode). But also without the Nav (which admittedly is not the most cost effective navigation unit) you cannot use Android Auto (or CarPlay). Some say the just use Google Maps and throw their cell phone up on the dash board. But I find having Google Maps on the main, larger screen, is worth the price.

Originally Posted by talon90
What exactly are Napa Leather seating services?

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-06-2016 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button in the lower right hand corner (middle icon).
Old 07-04-2016, 01:31 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
What exactly are Napa Leather seating services?
Softer leather.

In typical Corvette Forum fashion, those that have it will say it was worth all the extra money and they notice a huge difference ...and those without it will say there is little difference and it was not worth all the extra money.
The following users liked this post:
joeybsyc (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 02:38 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
The main thing to remember here for the original poster is what options he likes and will use regarding Lt2 and Lt3. I bought a base Lt1 because I don't use head up display, heated and cooled seats, lumbar adjustments, memory seats, better alarm system, etc.
The three Preferred Equipment Groups are 1LT, 2LT, and 3LT (1LZ, 2LZ, and 3LZ for Z06). LT1 is the RPO code for the Stingray's engine.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:34 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

Timeless thread, apparently.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:41 PM
lancekl
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 46 Posts

How would anyone know whether another person would be happy or unhappy with a specific option package

Last edited by lancekl; 07-04-2016 at 04:42 PM.
JerryU (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 04:52 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

If you haven't never had A 2 or 3 LT then you won't miss what you've never had.I purchased
The 1LT and couldn't be happier.In fact I have extra money to purchase on after market
options at A fraction of the price.to me if it don't make the car quicker it's a waste of money.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:54 PM
joeybsyc
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by lancekl
How would anyone know whether another person would be happy or unhappy with a specific option package
Don't you know by now that everyone here firmly believes their own corvette exhibits the perfect example of color, trim level, options, and accessories, and that everyone else would be happy if their car was similarly equipped?
JerryU (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 05:57 PM
tusc6
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1lt?

Besides the Z06...1LT has the best power to weight ratio. Period! Eating Z51's alive all day long. But Chevy won't tell you that😁
Old 07-04-2016, 06:35 PM
rstrait
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing that the 2LT had that I thought I might like was the heads up display. Since I've gone over 6 decades without it I decided to get a Laguna Blue auto 1LT Z51. Haven't regretted it at all. If there's something you really want on the 2LT I'd say go for it.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:39 PM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I bought a 2015 1LT, museum delivery. There wasn't anything offered in the 2LT package that I would use, or miss. I am very happy with my 1LT.

Get notified of new replies

To Will I be unhappy with a Base C7 1LT? Why to get 2LT or 3TL?

Old 07-04-2016, 08:40 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by tusc6
Besides the Z06...1LT has the best power to weight ratio. Period! Eating Z51's alive all day long. But Chevy won't tell you that😁
Wouldn't everyone know 650 HP vs 460 HP wins easily without breaking a sweat
Old 07-04-2016, 09:24 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by tusc6
I'll go with the power to weight ratio in the 1LT but I need to see proof that they will eat the Z51 equipped cars ALL DAY LONG.
The fast list has a boat load of Z51 cars and only a couple of base cars. I would hazard a guess that track times are better in the Z51 also.
But, yes, power to weight is better in the 1LT.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:33 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

It is kinda been said but my 2 cents after 5 Corvettes. My C6 was a base car and I loved it. If you never had something you don't know enough to miss it. My current Corvette is 3LT and Z51. Love the extra features but Base car is fine and will put a smile on your face. Like several others I think 2LT if you can afford it is nice to have. 2LT upgrades the car and gives you HUD or Heads Up Display. It displays everything you need to know on the windshield. Nice feature. I also think you will get part of the additional 2LT cost back on re-sale when that day comes. Buy new if you can and there are some huge discounts on 2016 Corvettes now. If you buy a used Corvette unless you know and trust the owner best to get a GM Certified car. I like the Performance exhaust and Z51 performance option but I will not digress into wants rather than needs as you said cost is a factor. Some people like aftermarket/ modded exhaust and other mod features but I don't. Back in the day I had street rods with heavy mods but just don't see modding a Corvette that can be ordered with everything you want/need from factory with warranty. Rather than pass on the car you want because of cost save your $ until you can buy what you want. Good Luck.

Last edited by Nice Ride; 07-04-2016 at 09:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Will I be unhappy with a Base C7 1LT? Why to get 2LT or 3TL?