C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDR; probably the first thing I will dig in to, but...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 08:53 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Default PDR; probably the first thing I will dig in to, but...

but it won't be for logging laps.

Oh, I will "play" with the race-track portion of the PDR; but will never use it beyond initial curiousity. Would be nice to be able to use the PDR as a simple GoPro type recorder.

Does anyone know if the PDR can be configured to start recording automatically, once the engine is started - or - once the car starts moving forward; or would one always be forced to navigate to a PDR screen and push a RECORD button each & every time?

Also, can someone tell me if the PDR will FIFO record (once the memory stick fills up) ?

Old 08-01-2014, 09:02 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

That feature almost makes me wish I had waited....

(Speculating how long before someone figures out a retrofit a 14....)
Old 08-01-2014, 09:05 AM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I'll never use it therefore wasn't worth $1795 (because I don't need NAV either).

Looks fun, but certainly not practical unless you track, which most don't or won't.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:16 AM
VINDIC8R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I opted for PDR purely by accident since I ordered my '15 based on '14 order guide.

My current ride is a 2010 Nissan Pathfinder and I have wished I had a GoPro or dashcam on a few occasions. I just seem to attract jerks who insist on not letting me pass or who knows what. I have wanted to be able to record the antics of these jerks and this will be convenient for me.

With the C7, I am sure I will get Honda Civics with fart-tubes, jerks in TDIs and countless Audis and beemers trying me on for size. With 720p, I hope I will be able to capture plate numbers 'just in case'.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:18 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by aj98
That feature almost makes me wish I had waited....

(Speculating how long before someone figures out a retrofit a 14....)
I agree. I have it coming on my 15 and I think it will be nice to have on occasion. I will never track the car but I will use it as most people probably will.....a glorified GO Pro. However, it is integrated and will be a slick option. At 1,795 it is still cheaper than navigation in my other cars.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:26 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

I'm really looking forward to it. I will be tracking my car and sadly had to give up the vert in order to do so. I think the ability to upload telemetry will be awesome.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
I'm really looking forward to it. I will be tracking my car and sadly had to give up the vert in order to do so. I think the ability to upload telemetry will be awesome.
you are the Corvette owner type that the PDR is intended to support; I imagine it will be quite helpful.

I am not the targeted type though; and since it was kinda crowbarred in... I am hoping to determine a use for the PDR that I can also find helpful.

If the PDR can be told to auto-record (without having to navigate through a few menu screens everytime my 2015 is driven) ... it may ease the bad feeling many have about it being forced upon us.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:06 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

I agree. There are a few idiosyncrasies like this though. If you get a Z51 vert, you have a dry sump system that is basically useless since you can't track a vert (unless you go aftermarket rollhoop which very very few would be willing to do).

I didn't really want Nav but who knows, I may come to love it. I've never had Nav; I've always used my phone but the integration seems pretty cool on the C7 with the HUD etc.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:33 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

PDR is definitely a reason I passed on the 2014's. Its a dream come true, for someone who wants to do track days.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:06 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

The way it's set up, I'd gladly give a grand to retrofit one but I don't think it's in the cards. The engineers at the bash said it'd be cheaper to trade up (to a 2014) then to retrofit one. I'm guessing that would be the case if all the computers for the NAV were changed out. Even tho the hole is there in the mirror and the W/S is set up for it, it would have to be a stand alone device if it were added. No problem, I'd still like to have it.

Get notified of new replies

To PDR; probably the first thing I will dig in to, but...

Quick Reply: PDR; probably the first thing I will dig in to, but...