Default Clarkson loves it!

Top gear officially reviews the Stingray:

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2014/...ce/#more-21228
Old 07-31-2014, 12:25 PM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

That is pretty amazing. He usually has nothing good to say about anything from the colonies.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:26 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I know some people will and or at Clarkson and his opinions, but reading this actually has me pretty damn happy.

You know you've made one hell of a car when Clarkson is saying "I'll look past the few small issues" and give it praise. The man has become as stingy as can be with vehicle praise in recent years, especially towards American cars (which, honestly, many didn't do much to earn praise), so hearing seeing him put it in line with the supercars he has such high regard for puts a huge grin on my face!

Old 07-31-2014, 12:28 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Maybe HELL has frozen over........
Old 07-31-2014, 12:35 PM
Cheech Wizard
Le Mans Master

Location: Orlando, Florida, MY Corvette is BEST Corvette because MID-ENGINE!
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

A link to Clarkson's full article...

http://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews...y-convertible/
Old 07-31-2014, 12:56 PM
Algiers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been waiting for him to finally review since I'm a huge Top Gear fan and knew this would finally make him admit the Corvette is great.

This is the line that proves it. "I mean, a Jaguar F-type V8 is almost £16,000 more, for heaven’s sake. And I’m sorry but it’s not as good."

Picking a Vette over a Jag is a definite victory for us.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:26 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp
Top gear officially reviews the Stingray:

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2014/...ce/#more-21228
Been waiting on that seal of approval to happen.

I already knew the C7 was hit with people who were never big Corvette fans. But if THIS doesnt change the mindset that the Corvette is no longer just for retirees & men with gold chains.. then I dont know what will. Clarkson may be a pompous azzhole on occassion, but generally speaking he's right on. He's one of the best journalist in the business about telling it exactly like it is. And many people value his opinion. His overwhelming approval.. also once again shows that some European journalist like Chris Harris are still blindedly biased towards Porsche.

Congrats again GM.. on another hurdle cleared! And for those of you like myself who down a C7 yet. Might not want to wait too long, as positive press like this will only keep the prices going up!

Last edited by Daekwan06; 07-31-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:29 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Wow....I'm speechless. I DO listen to Edward Elgar's Enigma variations in my Z51, (its on my iPod), BUT I have to agree with the other 90% of Jeremy's observations. The car is a masterpiece and a big break from everything that proceeded it. I just NEVER thought I'd hear Jeremy Clarkson ever admit it.

I take back every nasty thing I've ever said about him, but I still think May and Hammond are funnier....
Old 07-31-2014, 01:30 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Maybe HELL has frozen over........

The devil's sellin' snocones!
Old 07-31-2014, 01:30 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice to see that he enjoys it... and I know he has a style to uphold, but this comment is 100% inaccurate.

"And the body is still fibreglass because carbon fibre is a pinko plot."

There is actually no fiberglass in the car since the C5 and the C7 has a large amount of carbon fiber as did the C6Z.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:32 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

I read the entire article, and came away knowing he likes the car a lot; but dislikes Americans.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:36 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Great positive article by one of the UK's well known auto writers. His humorous stereotype of the typical corvette owner was a right on the money description of the crowd who hangs out on the PR&C ( politics, religion and controversy) section of corvette forum( the 90 percent of that group. The rest are democrats).
Old 07-31-2014, 01:45 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

Nice...
Old 07-31-2014, 02:12 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeremy picked the 2009 ZR1 as his car of the year, and had a lot of nice things to say about it after a U.S. road trip in one. If we're being honest, Clarkson's rethinking of the Vette in recent years has a lot to do with the Vette getting much better in recent years.

Clarkson loves to trash American cars, part tongue in cheek and part (most part) because he doesn't like them. I'm sure this has rubbed most of us the wrong way (it has me), but then his critiques are often spot-on. He's the Simon of the auto review world. In my mind, where he has been unfair is in comparing very expensive Euro cars against comparatively inexpensive American cars. For whatever reason (maybe his divorce?) he's come around on relative value and seems more willing to take that into account.

You get what you pay for is always relevant.

P.S. Clarkson -- Who James May once called "Goering" -- doesn't spare British made cars from his mocking. He's fond of Aston Martin and Jaguar, but that's pretty much it, and they are often not spared either. He's an entertainer and I LOVE Top Gear.

Last edited by dwward; 07-31-2014 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Adding a P.S.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:28 PM
Kayir
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I too had been waiting for this review for a long time. I'm a HUGE top gear fan, and in particular while i watch the US version, it PALES in comparison to the UK one. . .and not only am I a huge top gear fan but an even bigger JK fan. I'm sorry, you can say the guy is crass or arrogant, but he is about the coolest damn guy on the planet, and he's usually right about what he critiques. . .and yes, as others have said, for him to pile this kind of praise on the C7 absolutely adds validation to the fact that it's not "your father's corvette" . . .it's a game changer. and as a 37 y/o guy who's always driven bmws and audis and wanted a porsche, when i saw, heard, and read about the C7 (I never test drove it), i simply had to have one. it's better in pretty much every way to it's true competition, with ZERO excuses. . .notice in the article, JK didn't even once make any mention about the interior being nicer etc. . .the fact that he didn't is actually huge. it's just a non issue. it's up to par with anything else in the league and doesn't distract from how good it drives. . .very damn cool. . .
Old 07-31-2014, 02:36 PM
need4speedmotors
Supporting Vendor

Received 190 Likes on 182 Posts

Heck yea...'Merica
Old 07-31-2014, 03:00 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dwward
In my mind, where he has been unfair is in comparing very expensive Euro cars against comparatively inexpensive American cars..
That always gets me furious. And is exactly why I specifically called out Chris Harris again. When he reviewed the C7, he compared an automatic $60,000 Stingray without MSRC against a fully optioned $150,000 911S with PDK. The Porsche he used had more money in options on it, than the entire cost of the Stingray.

In what world would that review even be halfway fair. Furthermore why would you even bother comparing a 6sp automatic C7 to anything. If you really want to see which is better driving car.. atleast find a 7sp manual Z51 with MSRC to compare against your fully optioned Porsche. Thats a much fairer fight!

Get notified of new replies

To Clarkson loves it!

Old 07-31-2014, 03:06 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,377 Likes on 831 Posts

Good article!

Clarkson is an entertainer #1; car guy distant #2. His opinions on 'mericans, Albanians, etc are meant to amuse & get ratings... the fact he gets us riled up means it's working!
Old 07-31-2014, 03:38 PM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I am stunned. It stands to reason that he would at least not dislike it, considering he enjoyed the C6 Z06 and ZR1, but I never expected praise like this. But then again, he's always 'secretly' liked Vettes. He did a film in the U.S. years ago and mentioned that his rental was a C6 GS. Rumor has it he even purchased the C6 ZR1 he drove in California years ago.

I'd like to see the C7 in an episode of the show now.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:26 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

OK, he's still pompous, but he got it right. I love the show and he is a good entertainer, maybe one of the best at the job he has. So it was a joy to read the article and see the nice adjectives used to discribe the car.

Quick Reply: Clarkson loves it!