Sponsored by:

"Best" time to buy a 2015 C7

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 03:46 PM
JCar
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "Best" time to buy a 2015 C7

Have bought more than a few cars over the years I've been driving, and have learned a few things about the sales process, as well as the buying process. I tried each time not to make it a "must do" scenario with a gun to my head (dead primary driver and the like). I am in the "want to do" mode at this time.... I have the means, I have another couple of cars to satisfy the daily driving needs, so I am trying to figure out when the "best" time to purchase the C7 might be from a pricing / availbility perspective.

My current thoughts are focused on a MRB / Kalahari LT2 Z51 with Mag ride, std painted roof and HPP. I am still debating the options/ colors, and will likely wait to fine tune after I have a look in person at Carlisle in August. This is the first vette since the '66 I drove back in the day. REALLY looking forward to it.

I believe I will qualify as a member of the credit union for supplier pricing.

So.... any thoughts on what you would consider to be the "best" time given the above? End of month, quarter / year?

Thanks in advance for any input...
Old 07-30-2014, 03:52 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Best time, moneywise, to buy a 2015 is to wait until the 2016s are rolling out. But then you have to wait for a year without owning a C7. Now is the best time, you never know what tomorrow will bring. You might lose a few bucks but think of the enjoyment of driving a C7 for an extra year.

Last edited by BigJoe; 07-30-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:04 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by JCar
Have bought more than a few cars over the years I've been driving, and have learned a few things about the sales process, as well as the buying process. I tried each time not to make it a "must do" scenario with a gun to my head (dead primary driver and the like). I am in the "want to do" mode at this time.... I have the means, I have another couple of cars to satisfy the daily driving needs, so I am trying to figure out when the "best" time to purchase the C7 might be from a pricing / availbility perspective.

My current thoughts are focused on a MRB / Kalahari LT2 Z51 with Mag ride, std painted roof and HPP. I am still debating the options/ colors, and will likely wait to fine tune after I have a look in person at Carlisle in August. This is the first vette since the '66 I drove back in the day. REALLY looking forward to it.

So.... any thoughts on what you would consider to be the "best" time given the above? End of month, quarter / year?

Unlike other cars they NEED to get rid of, the C7 they can't keep in stock. They could careless if it's last day of the month or year.

So for a '15 get one at supplier and start enjoying it soon. It won't get any cheaper (if you get it at supplier).

Last edited by ATX-C7; 07-30-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:21 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

If you are that cash conscience, and in no hurry, why don't you keep check with CarMax or other large second hand to safe money, nothing wrong with that, and seems you are not in a rush. GM will have no problems selling these C7s all next year too, and I really see no good deals being made until the stock of Z06 cars are sorted out, as I think MANY potential Z06 customers will balk and eventually buy a C7 based on the projected amount of Z06s that will be produced for the first year.

You and only you can determine what and when its right. For me I waited to the last production quarter of the first year of production because I just fell in love with the car, my initial plan was to wait until 2015, but after driving this car, well that changed everything and I am VERY happy I did not wait.

Up to you my friend, nobody here is going to be able to either discourage or convince you, its your call. Best of luck with your choice.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:21 PM
JCar
Instructor

BigJoe - I do hear that..... one of the things on the bucket list is to get back into a Corvette - circle of life kinda thing. I am only 60 and in fine health, but after a few relatives and friends have not been so lucky at an earlier or equal age, I am thinking I might want to do this sooner rather than later. You never know.
ATX - Yes, I hear you on the demand - but hopefully that will somewhat ease after first year production and flurry of activity. That is a typical pattern anyway, as long as they don't do somethign stupid like Ford and their TBird. Not a design I was in favor of or at all interested in, but they didn't do themselves any favors by restricting their supply to keep the pricing artificially high.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:24 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX-C7
Unlike other cars they NEED to get rid of, the C7 they can't keep in stock. They could careless if it's last day of the month or year.

So for a '15 get one at supplier and start enjoying it soon. It won't get any cheaper (if you get it at supplier).

The C7 is one of the hottest cars on the market. I wanted to the check out a C7 in person last week, and there were only 2 in stock in my area. This confirms the car is in demand and that most are pre-sales and never see the lot. If the OP wants one at a discount, they should be willing to order out of state with a dealer who has the allocation and agrees to sell it at supplier, or find a local dealer who'd accept supplier. The two I spoke too would doubtfully take supplier pricing.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:33 PM
JCar
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1KULC7
Up to you my friend, nobody here is going to be able to either discourage or convince you, its your call. Best of luck with your choice.
Having been on very active auto forums for many years (mostly miata.net) I understand no one is going to be able or would I desire to have them convince me or discourage me specifically. However, since Ihave lurked here for some time, I do know that you folks have a very active and informative board here, with a lot of knowledgeable people. I figured I might just learn something that I didn't already know, or someone might have a slant on something that would give me further insight.

I don't think I am overly money concious, but one of the principles that I have used over the course of my life has been to spend as much time or more on spending wisely than I do on making it in the first place. It never comes in quickly - it shouldn't go out too quickly. Yep - I'll spend the money - just would like it to be with on the best terms I can find.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:39 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Having been on very active auto forums for many years (mostly miata.net) I understand no one is going to be able or would I desire to have them convince me or discourage me specifically. However, since Ihave lurked here for some time, I do know that you folks have a very active and informative board here, with a lot of knowledgeable people. I figured I might just learn something that I didn't already know, or someone might have a slant on something that would give me further insight.

I don't think I am overly money concious, but one of the principles that I have used over the course of my life has been to spend as much time or more on spending wisely than I do on making it in the first place. It never comes in quickly - it shouldn't go out too quickly. Yep - I'll spend the money - just would like it to be with on the best terms I can find.
I hear you. Last year it was funny to hear people complaining they couldn't find one. Guess what, they are still hard (not impossible, but still limited) to find. So if one thinks the winter time is going to slow down sales, look at last year, inventory was at near zero. Have a feeling this year will be no different.

If you can get supplier, just order it now, and know you got the best deal (outside of employee pricing). It's a great car, and the one thing I can promise you if you wait, it won't get any better

Find an out of state taking supplier and have it delivered to your local dealer by October. If you're hoping come winter dealers will have them stacked on a lot, you will be mighty disappointed
Old 07-30-2014, 04:46 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Call Les Sanford ask for Dennis Tap. They will help you out and get it done. He is in Michigan.
z51vett
Doug
Old 07-30-2014, 04:49 PM
JCar
Instructor

. If you're hoping come winter dealers will have them stacked on a lot, you will be mighty disappointed
Thanks for the advice.... yes there seem to be many dealers out there that do volume that aren't too far from me here in central PA. Maybe a trip to AC with the wife is in order after I go to Carlisle to check things out. I do want to see colors, wheels, etc in person and that is probably the best place to see it (also pretty much right next door)! So many decisions.....
Old 07-30-2014, 04:50 PM
Algiers
Pro

Nice choice. Your perspective car is the exact build I ordered except I added the black rims.

From what I understand, GM hasn't confirmed 100% that the supplier and credit union discounts will be accepted on the 2015's but everyone seems to think they will. Les Stanford will accept the discounts if they happen on Z51's so you can definitely check with them and place your order. It's unlikely you'll find a better deal than that. They have a lot of people in line already so it wouldn't hurt to check earlier.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:55 PM
F7addict
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are starting to show up at manheim auto auctions with less than 1000 miles on them. It may very well loosen up a bit . Dealer I was going to sign up for a 15 at today told me he doesn't know when I could get an ordered out 15 yet he's sitting with two 14's on showroom floor rite now.ones a z51 loaded conv. I saw a 14 conv 7 spd z51 3 lt with 800 miles today go through the auction and it went up to 67000. Dealer didn't sell it. If they were that big a deal it would have been quite a bit higher bid wise. That was broadcast nationwide so dealers from around nation could bid if they wanted.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:57 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by F7addict
They are starting to show up at manheim auto auctions with less than 1000 miles on them. It may very well loosen up a bit . Dealer I was going to sign up for a 15 at today told me he doesn't know when I could get an ordered out 15 yet he's sitting with two 14's on showroom floor rite now.ones a z51 loaded conv. I saw a 14 conv 7 spd z51 3 lt with 800 miles today go through the auction and it went up to 67000. Dealer didn't sell it. If they were that big a deal it would have been quite a bit higher bid wise. That was broadcast nationwide so dealers from around nation could bid if they wanted.
Of course--14's are yesterday's news now

People want the new 8 Spd transmission, so unless you're okay with a year old car, I'd just get a 15...oh, never mind I did
Old 07-30-2014, 04:57 PM
MY70THAnv
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone know what the discount for Credit Union Member is?
Old 07-30-2014, 05:08 PM
JCar
Instructor

Of course--14's are yesterday's news now

People want the new 8 Spd transmission, so unless you're okay with a year old car, I'd just get a 15...oh, never mind I did
HA! I want the 7M (always have had a manual).

Algiers - yeah, well, I guess I am too old for black rims... just can't get my head around them. Now chrome may fit with this car, but frankly not for a $2K bump over some nice silver painted. To each his/her own - that is why they make the variety they do!
Old 07-30-2014, 05:14 PM
JCar
Instructor

Originally Posted by F7addict
Yeah, I have a friend who has a dealers license in Manheim. I can work that angle if things get tight, but I don't know - there is something about having a new toy that hasn't been ridden before. I will see what he says over the next couple of months - I expect that some 14s will free up as Z06 models start to roll. Just can't get enough HP!

Last edited by JCar; 07-30-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:18 PM
Algiers
Pro

Algiers - yeah, well, I guess I am too old for black rims... just can't get my head around them. Now chrome may fit with this car, but frankly not for a $2K bump over some nice silver painted. To each his/her own - that is why they make the variety they do!
Oh I just meant it was odd to see a build so similar to mine. The NRB/Kalahari seems to not get a lot of love.

I don't think it's really an age thing. It's just personal preference like you said and I completely get why people don't like black rims. I personally went back and forth between the silver and the black. The chrome is a bit pricey for me too and I would be too scared of scraping them.

Get notified of new replies

To "Best" time to buy a 2015 C7

Old 07-30-2014, 05:27 PM
JCar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Algiers
Oh I just meant it was odd to see a build so similar to mine. The NRB/Kalahari seems to not get a lot of love.

I don't think it's really an age thing. It's just personal preference like you said and I completely get why people don't like black rims. I personally went back and forth between the silver and the black. The chrome is a bit pricey for me too and I would be too scared of scraping them.
Really - I like the color combo a lot... I don't care for black interiors (too hot and you see every spec of dust or grime and I am really OCD about my cars). The blue may be a bit dark for my OCD so I haven't ruled out the yellow or the Crystal Red either. But I seem to keep returning to the blue. Like I said - Carlise may give me some further focus.

My friend down the street (3 or four vettes over the years) has a Z06 with chrome wheels that he swears are much easier to maintain than any other configuration he has had to date. Dunno - I think I agree with you - a painted finish is easier to repair at home instead of getting the thing re-chromed.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:35 PM
Algiers
Pro

Really - I like the color combo a lot... I don't care for black interiors (too hot and you see every spec of dust or grime and I am really OCD about my cars). The blue may be a bit dark for my OCD so I haven't ruled out the yellow or the Crystal Red either. But I seem to keep returning to the blue. Like I said - Carlise may give me some further focus.

My friend down the street (3 or four vettes over the years) has a Z06 with chrome wheels that he swears are much easier to maintain than any other configuration he has had to date. Dunno - I think I agree with you - a painted finish is easier to repair at home instead of getting the thing re-chromed.
Seeing the Night Race Blue in person is definitely a good call. It looks pretty different depending on the light but it's absolutely a very dark color.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:40 PM
Algiers
Pro

Originally Posted by FCCCVPMan
Does anyone know what the discount for Credit Union Member is?
It varies based on your build. For me it dropped from about 66 to 60. Once/if they put the 2015's on it you can build your car and check the price at mygmdiscount.com. The 2014's can still be done for reference even though you can't actually order one still.

Quick Reply: "Best" time to buy a 2015 C7