Sponsored by:

Xpel Ultimate -- What are the cons?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 12:49 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Xpel Ultimate -- What are the cons?

Xpel Ultimate is very popular here with some of this forum’s most respected members recommending it. I’m inclined to get at least the basic install of the front bumper and partial hood (maybe full hood).

But I’m a born skeptic so I’m wondering if there are any cons?

Anyone regret having Xpel Ultimate applied to their car? When you look at a car, can you see the film coated parts verses the naked paint?

Is there a problem with lines when only a part of the hood is done? Is there an issue with uneven paint fade or film yellowing? Or problems with removing the film later as there can be with window tint?

I understand the Ultimate has a 10 year warranty, but that’s only a limited comfort if there are any long term issues.

Cost is subjective, but are there any non-cost related cons?
The following users liked this post:
Gonzo (07-03-2016)
Old 07-30-2014, 12:53 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

I had pretty much the entire car done in Ultimate and love the results.

Here are some samples. Notice particularly the headlight shot as there is a separate piece covering that versus the hood itself:
Attached Images   
Old 07-30-2014, 12:58 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I saw a clear plastic covering on the nose of a white C7 in a new car dealer's lot. Not sure if it was xpel or another product but there was a dirt line where the plastic ended-maybe more visable on the color white-and it looked like it was a matter of time before the clear yellowed. Maybe the result of being on a white car, but it was not my cup of tea.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:04 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Are there cons. Of course.

First, it's expensive.

Second, unless you cover entire panels, there is a line that you WILL see regardless of what anyone says. Whether that bothers you or not is the question. I hate the film lines in the middle of a panel so I took that into consideration when I had mine done.

Third, it can be a huge PITA to remove if the install tech didn't use the exact right mix of water & alcohol on the install.

When it's done right it's very difficult to tell it's there by looks alone. By feel you can since it's softer than paint. I didn't have it on my C6 and regretted it after several years with all the rock chips on the front bumper and behind the tires, so that's where I had Xpel installed on my C7. I don't understand doing the entire car, but that's just my opinion.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve_R:
Chemdawg99 (07-01-2016), killain (02-14-2017)
Old 07-30-2014, 01:06 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Are there cons. Of course.

First, it's expensive.

Second, unless you cover entire panels, there is a line that you WILL see regardless of what anyone says. Whether that bothers you or not is the question. I hate the film lines in the middle of a panel so I took that into consideration when I had mine done.

Third, it can be a huge PITA to remove if the install tech didn't use the exact right mix of water & alcohol on the install.

When it's done right it's very difficult to tell it's there by looks alone. By feel you can since it's softer than paint. I didn't have it on my C6 and regretted it after several years with all the rock chips on the front bumper and behind the tires, so that's where I had Xpel installed on my C7. I don't understand doing the entire car, but that's just my opinion.

and it depends on what are you going to use the car for....I'm not doing it becasue I am an around town driver 99% of the time, pnly do 5K a year and have a novistrech bra for the front when I do get out on the interstate for a trip. Also, side skirts and the OEM splash guards do a great job of keeping the sides protected. However,if this was a normal DD, I do the front , mirrors and half hood with XPEL. It is great stuff...

Last edited by Glen e; 07-30-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:14 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

FWIW, my C7 is a DD (just as my C5 and C6 were). Which is why I had it pretty much condomized

The only thing it won't be driven in is snow
Old 07-30-2014, 01:31 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by KenHorse
FWIW, my C7 is a DD (just as my C5 and C6 were). Which is why I had it pretty much condomized

The only thing it won't be driven in is snow
What, you don't do this:

My C7 is my daily driver as well but I don't make a habit of driving it in snow. Incidentally my C6 didn't melt after that trip but I can attest that a Vette on slick ice is a white knuckle drive.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:16 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

If it is done right, I don't see any cons (other than cost which the OP already discounted).

Do only full panels and there will not be any lines.

The 10-year warranty covers yellowing and more:

This product carries a 10 year warranty against, yellowing, cracking, peeling, staining, and hazing, covering both film and labor.
With its very low surface energy, XPEL ULTIMATE sheds contaminants that would otherwise stain or yellow conventional films. In addition, the clear coat employs special elastomeric polymers that "heal" over time eliminating swirl marks and other fine scratches without having to do anything.
To address some other potential concerns:
"Can I wax the film when I wax the rest of the car?"
Unlike most paint protection films on the market, XPEL ULTIMATE Paint Protection film can be waxed and sealed just like your paint. Though XPEL Flawless Finish Paint Protection Film Sealant is still the preferred product, Any automotive wax or sealant may be used.

"Will XPEL ULTIMATE make the paint underneath the film fade at a different rate?"
No. XPEL ULTIMATE Paint Protection Film allows UV to pass through the film and fade the paint underneath at the same rate as the exposed paint.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:32 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I had xpel done.No complaints.Some people say it takes away from the shine.With my eyes I don't see it.The shine is fine.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:42 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What, you don't do this:

My C7 is my daily driver as well but I don't make a habit of driving it in snow. Incidentally my C6 didn't melt after that trip but I can attest that a Vette on slick ice is a white knuckle drive.
I LOVE IT!!!!!!

I'll bet there are a dozen guys having to go take their heart medication after seeing those pictures.

The only "Pro" I see to XPEL is to the bank accounts of the installers......

Sorry, not intended to denigrate those who do apply it but it's not my cup of tea. I see no need and haven't for the last 20 sports cars I've owned...... Which BTW I sold for thousands over "book" price and never ONCE had someone complain about the paint finish.

Last edited by mjw930; 07-30-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Chemdawg99 (07-01-2016)
Old 07-30-2014, 02:43 PM
Johneecatt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't stress enough, cover whole panels. Saw a new Porsche Turbo last night, with a line across the hood and fenders. And I thought - you spend 200 Grand on a car and skimp a couple hundred on the coverage??? Wrap the whole front, and you won't hardly know it's there!
Old 07-30-2014, 02:55 PM
kirbsc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my C7 was wrapped and love the results BUT you want to make sure the installer that is doing the XPEL is really good at what they do - ask dealer or friends. Most folks have to be told my car is wrapped for them to see the lines. Installer made sure he wrapped around all the edges he could to hide the lines. Love the results and getting bird crap off the car is simple even if it it sat overnight. I look at it as extra insurance - city traffic or highway it can still get rocks hits.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:34 PM
Buzzardz_vette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Mine is a DD as well and I had everything done except the rear bumper. Why? Because I was getting rock popping up from the tires and hitting the roof and hatch area. I got the doors done to help combat the little door dings you get in a parking lot. The installer that did mine removed all the badges and replaced them after installing the Xpel. He also wrapped all the edges that he could. You can't tell it's there unless you look real close. It's not supposed to yellow (warranty covers that if needed). You do need to wax it once in a while (no polishing). My installer gave me three small bottles of Xpel wax made just for the Xpel. It makes the Xpel really slick, helps with removing bugs and bird droppings. The headlight kits are supposed to eliminate the hazing/yellowing of the lenses. Will have to wait to see if that is true.

Last edited by Buzzardz_vette; 07-30-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:00 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

I know of a local shop that is involved in a half-way program with paroled prisoners. They train them and are capable of doing most jobs at the shop.

I guess you could say there are a lot of cons with Xpel at that shop.......
Old 07-30-2014, 04:34 PM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 372 Likes on 221 Posts

A friend of mine just did his C7 and they also did the windshield. Is that feasible? seems there would be vision issues.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:51 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SLWRNU
A friend of mine just did his C7 and they also did the windshield. Is that feasible? seems there would be vision issues.
What would be the point?

If you crack a windshield your insurance company buys you a new one usually at minimal costs to you. The installer will have a contract with your insurance company who pays them directly (save your deductible) and even come to you to install the new windshield. This is paid out of your comprehensive coverage (unlike collision, it's no fault so you should carry the minimal deductible) and doesn't affect your insurance rates.

My guess is he fell victim to a very good salesman.

Last edited by dwward; 07-30-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:55 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

I got the bumper, partial hood, headlights and mirrors.

You often can’t see the line on the hood (Blade Silver paint), depends on the lighting and what angle you’re looking at it. In any event, it’s never obtrusive.

Would a full hood install provide more coverage? Of course but I like to see/feel the real paint.

6 yrs of DD with my G8GT and 3M film, maybe one rock chip on the hood and 2+ yrs of that living in the mountains east of Albuquerque and I25 with the state using ground up lava grit for traction in the snow. So, there’s little doubt in my mind that clear bras are worth the money if you want to keep your car looking good. Don

Get notified of new replies

To Xpel Ultimate -- What are the cons?

Old 07-30-2014, 05:01 PM
RGT
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

If you do your hood, do the full hood.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:25 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

There's thousands of people that have got Xpel on their cars,Ferrari's,porshe's,vettes,you name it.If your trying to find A reason not to do xpel then just don't do it.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:59 PM
Monaco335
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the entire car done and have no regrets.

Cons:

1. If a flying metal object hits your car xpel wont save it.
2. It lasts 10 years but doesn't last forever
3. It is expensive. Entire car costs 4k-5k.

Pros:
1. always waxed look
2. easy to maintain
3. protects paint
4. can't tell it is there if done right
5. no more swirls
6. no more polishing waxing etc
7. bugs wash right off
8. peace of mind
9. self healing
10. etc etc etc.
blown81bu (06-24-2016)

Quick Reply: Xpel Ultimate -- What are the cons?