Sponsored by:

Xpel Ultimate -- What are the cons?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 08:10 PM
halt00
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by spiike32
I had the entire car done and have no regrets.

Cons:

1. If a flying metal object hits your car xpel wont save it.
2. It lasts 10 years but doesn't last forever
3. It is expensive. Entire car costs 4k-5k.

Pros:
1. always waxed look
2. easy to maintain
3. protects paint
4. can't tell it is there if done right
5. no more swirls
6. no more polishing waxing etc
7. bugs wash right off
8. peace of mind
9. self healing
10. etc etc etc.
I am on the fence. I had my M3 for nearly 10 years and 60K miles and it did have pits but they weren't bad until you were 2 feet away. Also, for the cost of Xpel, you can fix any issues (including a repaint if necessary) probably for less.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:26 PM
chas70
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dwward
Xpel Ultimate is very popular here with some of this forum痴 most respected members recommending it. I知 inclined to get at least the basic install of the front bumper and partial hood (maybe full hood).

But I知 a born skeptic so I知 wondering if there are any cons?

Anyone regret having Xpel Ultimate applied to their car? When you look at a car, can you see the film coated parts verses the naked paint?

Is there a problem with lines when only a part of the hood is done? Is there an issue with uneven paint fade or film yellowing? Or problems with removing the film later as there can be with window tint?

I understand the Ultimate has a 10 year warranty, but that痴 only a limited comfort if there are any long term issues.

Cost is subjective, but are there any non-cost related cons?
I don't know if what came on mine is Expel but when it gets rock impacts, it doesn't chip the paint but leaves a slight tear in the plastic that can be readily seen and as far as I know can't easily be repaired. I had the same problem with an invisible bra on my motor home.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:48 PM
mjcourt
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Only cons I know of are...

It doesn't feel or polish like paint. When you wax/polish the film you don't see much difference. When you wax/polish paint you can usually see a real improvement in shine.

Unless the installer is a real pro, there can be a few imperfections in the film that may include tiny air bubbles and non-uniform edges. Granted, you won't notice these unless you are looking for issues, so they aren't a big problem.

I have a C7 on order and will probably only cover the front bumper area, mirrors, rocker panel and area in front of the back tires. These are the areas which get the most damage on my past Corvettes.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:27 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Default About shine

Originally Posted by mjcourt
Only cons I know of are...

It doesn't feel or polish like paint. When you wax/polish the film you don't see much difference. When you wax/polish paint you can usually see a real improvement in shine.

Unless the installer is a real pro, there can be a few imperfections in the film that may include tiny air bubbles and non-uniform edges. Granted, you won't notice these unless you are looking for issues, so they aren't a big problem.

I have a C7 on order and will probably only cover the front bumper area, mirrors, rocker panel and area in front of the back tires. These are the areas which get the most damage on my past Corvettes.
I have xpel right next to the door.When both are cleaned up they have the same shine,you can't tell the difference
Old 07-31-2014, 11:39 AM
ABNRGR
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A skilled installer is the key. I had my C6 wrapped and only had a hand full of people could spot it, even at large GTG's. It was my only DD, all year long. It's very pricy for most of us. I never had any regrets about investing in the Paint Protection Film (PPF) even though it delayed several mods for awhile. I'm saving my pennies for a C7 and a PPF will be it's first mod.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:21 PM
Algiers
Pro

I have been heavily contemplating getting the entire front end and the rocker panels done. I checked out a shop that had just done a C7 and had a couple questions. It looked pretty seamless except the line was visible on the upper side of the rocker panel in front of the back tire. It stopped right before the seam in the body.

Also you could see where it wasn't tucked under on the two corners of the hood closest to the windshield and the edge was visible on the headlights.

I was told this was unavoidable but wanted to check if anyone had similar issues. Also they didn't do the rear bumper behind the back tire. Are most people not covering that?
Old 08-14-2014, 08:32 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,573 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Within days of having XPel installed on my front bumper, the car was struck by a flying chunk of retread tire at 70mph. The XPel saved my paint, pure and simple. I'll never drive another premium car without paint protection like XPel...
Old 08-14-2014, 08:40 PM
FRC_1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Algiers
I have been heavily contemplating getting the entire front end and the rocker panels done. I checked out a shop that had just done a C7 and had a couple questions. It looked pretty seamless except the line was visible on the upper side of the rocker panel in front of the back tire. It stopped right before the seam in the body.

Also you could see where it wasn't tucked under on the two corners of the hood closest to the windshield and the edge was visible on the headlights.

I was told this was unavoidable but wanted to check if anyone had similar issues. Also they didn't do the rear bumper behind the back tire. Are most people not covering that?
I will tell you that XPEL will vary in cost and the way its applied. Both are linear. You can pay minimal cost which is what I did, had the roof, full hood, bumper, mirrors, and headlights done. It was the XPEL kit from XPEL cut on a machine like a printer. The only panels that are wrapped and seamless are the roof and the hood. Everything else has seams galore, not to mention air pockets and peeling). There are installers in my area that will wrap everything and leave a seamless install. (Remove headlights, trim pieces etc.) The cost for that is through the roof, add a grand onto a traditional install. You get what you pay for, plain and simple. Interview your installer to see how it's applied in their shop, I didn't do this and have to live with a crappy install. Knowing what I know now, I would have paid more for a good job.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:52 PM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FRC_1
I will tell you that XPEL will vary in cost and the way its applied. Both are linear. You can pay minimal cost which is what I did, had the roof, full hood, bumper, mirrors, and headlights done. It was the XPEL kit from XPEL cut on a machine like a printer. The only panels that are wrapped and seamless are the roof and the hood. Everything else has seams galore, not to mention air pockets and peeling). There are installers in my area that will wrap everything and leave a seamless install. (Remove headlights, trim pieces etc.) The cost for that is through the roof, add a grand onto a traditional install. You get what you pay for, plain and simple. Interview your installer to see how it's applied in their shop, I didn't do this and have to live with a crappy install. Knowing what I know now, I would have paid more for a good job.
Sounds like you got a really bad install. Air pockets are a very easy fix so the installer should take care of those. The edges lifting means its a warranty claim and they have to stand behind that. You don't have to remove panels and lights to get a good install. You just got a really bad one.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:13 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Before the Xpel Ultimate was applied on my car, I had it professionally polished to get absolutely the most gloss on the paint. After the Xpel was applied it was treated with Gtechniq Gloss Enhancer and Exov2. The polishing and Gtechniq cost 750-800 in addition to the Xpel. The car looks incredible. I did the nose, full hood, front fenders, rockers and the area behind the rear wheels. That also included the mirrors and door latch recesses. While he was at it, I had him wrap the spoiler and the area behind the rear window. Did 30% Lumar ceramic tint at the same time.

You can see in this pic he removed the front emblem and replaced it with a new one. No lines around the emblem that way.

Last edited by WKMCD; 08-14-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:53 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Before the Xpel Ultimate was applied on my car, I had it professionally polished to get absolutely the most gloss on the paint. After the Xpel was applied it was treated with Gtechniq Gloss Enhancer and Exov2. The polishing and Gtechniq cost 750-800 in addition to the Xpel. The car looks incredible. I did the nose, full hood, front fenders, rockers and the area behind the rear wheels. That also included the mirrors and door latch recesses. While he was at it, I had him wrap the spoiler and the area behind the rear window. Did 30% Lumar ceramic tint at the same time.

You can see in this pic he removed the front emblem and replaced it with a new one. No lines around the emblem that way.

Your A wise person.You'll keep the shine without having to do hardly anything
Old 08-14-2014, 09:59 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Does the XPEL film minimize the noticeability of orange peel in the paint, or does it amplify it?
Old 08-14-2014, 10:14 PM
Algiers
Pro

Originally Posted by WKMCD
The place I'm looking at uses raw Xpel and not kits and they remove the emblems. They seem pretty solid but I'm curious if you have visible seams at the top of the rocker in front of the rear tire or on the corners on the hood closet to the windshield. I was told they couldn't tuck it there as well as on the front bumper. I want to check if this is actually avoidable.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:07 PM
jwbert
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The Xpel on the area in front of the rear wheels on my car is really
chewed up already and it is beyond its' healing ability. Did it save the
paint yes, still looks like its chewed up at only 2000 miles. I am having it replaced now that I've put on ACS skirts. By the way, I peeled off the
xpel in the area that would be covered by the skirts and it was very
opaque, not clear, due to all the rock hits, no gravel roads driven, but those tires pick up everything and throw it back. One track day.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:27 AM
Tbong
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by halt00
I am on the fence. I had my M3 for nearly 10 years and 60K miles and it did have pits but they weren't bad until you were 2 feet away. Also, for the cost of Xpel, you can fix any issues (including a repaint if necessary) probably for less.
BINGO....Cheaper to fix it before selling than paying $4K money that will never come back. The way detailers can take out scratches and chips is amazing. No need for body shops. I don't worry about chips and scratches as much. I took a fingernail scratch out of my C6 wet sanding and polishing
Old 08-15-2014, 06:31 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Algiers
The place I'm looking at uses raw Xpel and not kits and they remove the emblems. They seem pretty solid but I'm curious if you have visible seams at the top of the rocker in front of the rear tire or on the corners on the hood closet to the windshield. I was told they couldn't tuck it there as well as on the front bumper. I want to check if this is actually avoidable.
No seams showing on mine. The Xpel behind the rear wheels runs all the way to the top - so no seams there.

It's not perfect and no film will ever be absolutely perfect but in a couple years the car will still look pretty much the way it does now. Remember, the film is sacrificial. It's purpose is to take the hit and save the paint. You're still going to have a much better paint surface to work with if you have to remove it when it gets nicked and reapply.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:42 AM
chevyman426
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spiike32
I had the entire car done and have no regrets.

Cons:

1. If a flying metal object hits your car xpel wont save it.
2. It lasts 10 years but doesn't last forever
3. It is expensive. Entire car costs 4k-5k.

Pros:
1. always waxed look
2. easy to maintain
3. protects paint
4. can't tell it is there if done right
5. no more swirls
6. no more polishing waxing etc
7. bugs wash right off
8. peace of mind
9. self healing
10. etc etc etc.

I can attest to the above statements had my
Entire c7 done well 99% coverage.

Get notified of new replies

To Xpel Ultimate -- What are the cons?

Old 06-24-2016, 07:18 AM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

I agree expel is well worth it...
If u have stripes it actually makes the stripes look painted on and it gleems...more shine after expel..
Old 06-24-2016, 08:32 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

I have decided to get it done to my front bumper & mirrors. However I have a question for you folks that have had it done. The installer asked me if I wanted the seams "wrapped" or not. I asked him what he meant and he said that the XPEL would go around the seam (bumper & hood). I told him probably that made sense (it's $125.00 extra) but all you XPEL warriors which is better???
Old 06-24-2016, 08:52 AM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

I have had Xpel (as well as 3M, 3M Ventureshield, and SunTek) so far on various cars. Xpel is really nice. I have had it on 2 white cars, and it is visible in certain lights. This is an optical effect, kind of like how a thick clear coat can warm a color a little. In some times of day it was invisible and in some times it was very slightly warm (slightly yellow). On other colors it essentially disappears. I still prefer film to dealing with road-rash.

Quick Reply: Xpel Ultimate -- What are the cons?