Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 blackout taillights

Old 07-30-2014, 08:03 PM
halt00
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by VAmikeC7
Awesome find. Would you mind PMing me the details in regards to seller name, cost, difficulty of installation?
Ditto if you would! A brief search on ebay and didn't find anything. Most people are just taking theirs out and painting the inside (search forums). The GS ones look like stick ons - I can't imagine they will look any good.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:00 PM
Alysha
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's mine:

Old 07-30-2014, 10:07 PM
CARTOON
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK... So where did you get them? Or did you have them painted? I hate when people post mods in threads like this that are what everyone is asking about, but they don't post info about the mod.

Originally Posted by Alysha
Here's mine:

Old 07-30-2014, 10:47 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by luvlake
How many people are waiting for the GS Taillight Blackout Kit? Do you think we should cut the cord?
Old 07-30-2014, 10:52 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by CARTOON
OK... So where did you get them? Or did you have them painted? I hate when people post mods in threads like this that are what everyone is asking about, but they don't post info about the mod.
I've seen Alysha's mod before, and as I recall she had the rear fascia taken off and sprayed from the inside, as did I, which is the only way to do it right, imho.....
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2014, 10:56 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Jake
blacked out rear
tails, mufflers, crossed flags, STINGRAY script, reflectors
Looks good
Old 07-31-2014, 10:08 AM
gregb1812
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to remove the lens (easy/hard?)

I went ahead and ordered the blackout kit from gscreations but wonder how would I go about removing the lens if I do not like them?

They are attached with 3m tape and am not sure how hard it would be to get them back off...?
Old 02-25-2015, 03:59 PM
Jespada7
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does any one know how to replace a tail light bulb on a 2015? Specifically the signal light.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:34 PM
Jespada7
2nd Gear

Does anyone know how to replace 2014/15 tail light bulbs
Old 07-12-2015, 03:09 PM
Christopher Dean
2nd Gear

Default black outs in texas

I have had problems year after year with the black outs on my C5 so for the wife's C7 I tried a different approach. I swapped out the her tailights for the Z06 version and used some standard C7 black outs that just cover the turn signal lights. They are fairly subtle so they should pass inspection since they don't cover the driving/brake lights. Note the Z06 lights are apparently slightly different in shape so they blackouts don't fit flush but you can't really tell. Also blacked out the reflectors and 3rd brake light and added carbon fiber taillight bezels and logo.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:12 PM
Christopher Dean
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Jespada7
I don't know the specifics but you unscrew the cargo cover connectors inside the trunk to access the lights. You also may need to lift up the weatherstrip and there is spacer piece that comes off to allow you to pull the rear trim off.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:25 AM
LuvnMyC7
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the GS covers. Took a while and wasn't even that excited about them. But hated the way the factory tail lights looked on the car. Didn't care for the Z06 tail lights. Look too 90's to me. They look good on a silver corvette, but that's about it for me. Just my opinion. Plus a lot of work to install them. I FINALLY got my GS covers. They sat on the shelf in my garage for about 2 months before I finally opened the box. Not expecting to like them. Wow was I wrong!! SO worth the wait. While the dark lights look good on my color car, what I love more is the added definition it gives to the tail lights. That to me was worth more than anything and looks so much better than just tinting the factory lights. Plus was amazed at how well the lights shine through them. As other photos in this thread show, can hardly tell the covers are on when when the tail lights are turned on. And they take about 5 minutes to install!!

Old 07-13-2015, 01:54 PM
lggque
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by need4speedmotors
Looks awesome.
Mine took about 6 months but they look great.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:59 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Jespada7
They are LEDs, and I don't think they're plug-in replaceable like regular bulbs. To get to them, you probably need to pull the rear bumper. I know that's what is necessary to swap out the standard taillights for the Z06 ones.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:02 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvnMyC7
Plus was amazed at how well the lights shine through them. As other photos in this thread show, can hardly tell the covers are on when when the tail lights are turned on. And they take about 5 minutes to install!!
I'd like to see a photo with the taillights (not brakelights) on with one blackout lens installed and the other not. I bet there's a bigger difference in brightness than you think.

Physics is physics, and there's no way you can put a dark gray filter over a light source and not reduce the visible light significantly.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:44 AM
StingerBG
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by smdio
Hmm. I like these but not sure how they would look on my Laguna Blue. I like the current red contrast to the blue.

Anyone install these yet on a LB? Love to see how they look...
I personally like the red contrast on the blue as well. I think the smoked or Z06 tails only look good on dark colored and red cars.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:04 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

I really like the GS Creations kit but I'm having a hard time justifying nearly $300. Unfortunately I missed out on the initial offering.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 blackout taillights

Old 07-14-2015, 11:47 PM
billythekid310
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coupeguyz51
I've seen Alysha's mod before, and as I recall she had the rear fascia taken off and sprayed from the inside, as did I, which is the only way to do it right, imho.....
I would like to eventually tint mine and leave the reverse lights virgin.

And good God $279.99 for the GS covers.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:40 AM
LuvnMyC7
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by billythekid310
I would like to eventually tint mine and leave the reverse lights virgin.

And good God $279.99 for the GS covers.
Some things are just worth it. This happens to be one of them. What's $300 when you just bought a $60,000+ car? Besides, these are no C6 or C5 or C4 for that matter, where it's virtually a straight piece of plastic to cover those mostly flat tail lights. The mold to make these things must have cost them a fortune. So while the plastic itself may not cost much, molding that plastic into the difficult shapes to fit the C7 tail lights is likely more labor intensive. Plus, the price also includes the cost of creating such a complex mold, spread out over the number of product they expect to sell. If you want to save money, go spend $50 on tint or spray on tint. Will not look remotely as good as the covers to and certainly will wear much faster and have to be redone, probably several times. Remember the old saying, you get what you pay for.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:35 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by LuvnMyC7
Some things are just worth it. This happens to be one of them. What's $300 when you just bought a $60,000+ car? Besides, these are no C6 or C5 or C4 for that matter, where it's virtually a straight piece of plastic to cover those mostly flat tail lights. The mold to make these things must have cost them a fortune. So while the plastic itself may not cost much, molding that plastic into the difficult shapes to fit the C7 tail lights is likely more labor intensive. Plus, the price also includes the cost of creating such a complex mold, spread out over the number of product they expect to sell. If you want to save money, go spend $50 on tint or spray on tint. Will not look remotely as good as the covers to and certainly will wear much faster and have to be redone, probably several times. Remember the old saying, you get what you pay for.
I have met the inventor of the GS product, he struggled all last year getting the mold right. And when they are on the car, they look fantastic:
Name:  IMG_4359-1.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  1.00 MB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 blackout taillights