Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BEWARE of B&B Exhaust PROBLEMS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 01:21 PM
TVOT
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEWARE of B&B Exhaust PROBLEMS!!!

I had a new B&B PRT Exhaust System installed on my 2014 Stingray toward the end of January, shortly after getting the car and basically as soon as the Black Speedway Tipped System was available. My car is non-NPP and the exhaust was ordered as such. I am now on my 3rd system and still have a check engine light. I have tried everything so far and hoping someone might be able to shed some light on it for me…

The first system was installed at the end of January by a very trusted Corvette shop in our area. They noticed the Driver’s side valve was clocked incorrectly on the pipe resulting in it hitting the rear differential cooler line fitting. This led to the entire system having to sit further back which then led to the tips not lining up and looking very awkward. Like I mentioned before they are Speedway tips so having them perfectly straight is important.

B&B replaced this system under warranty, had the new one installed at the shop who took care of the installation free of charge. They again had to do some extra work to get the tips to line up perfectly, which they did and the car looked great.

Didn’t drive the car much as it was February/March here in PA and not so Corvette friendly. Car sat in my garage waiting for nicer weather.

April rolls around, I had the car out and a Check Engine light came on… Not knowing what it was I brought it to the dealer who diagnosed it as the Pass Side Exhaust Valve Actuator not functioning properly. After a $408.10 bill they cleared the code and sent me on my way. Code came right back so I brought it back to my exhaust installer. They then contacted B&B who knew about the problem and recommended we install washers under the actuator mount points to shim it properly for possible binding issue.

They shimmed it, that didn’t work, B&B then sent out their fabricated shims which they had from the same issue before and they installed, again, no go. Multiple codes pop right back up.

P26C8
P12F0
P12FE
P12FD
P12F1

Clear Codes
Following Codes remain after second start-up
P26C8
P12F1
P12FE

My installer checked the valve manually and could tell it was bound-up compared to the other side. These are B&B’s valves welded into their system. Now, my installer has B&B send out yet another full system and goes out and buys a new GM actuator, worried that after it has been trying to open and close the bound-up valve it may have done damage and is resulting in some of these codes. Figured it would be better to be safe than sorry. So they install ANOTHER new B&B system on my car free of charge and replace the actuator along with it at their expense. Check the valve operation, all smooth this time. Upon second start up, same codes appear;

P26C8 and P12F0

We learn of the new GM exhaust actuator relearn procedure, I take it to the Chevy dealership, have them perform the procedure hoping these codes are from the new actuator, but once again, both codes come back.

I don’t know what else to do. B&B is saying they don’t have anyone else with this issue and my installer now has an enormous amount of time and money tied up in trying to sort this out for me. I have a ton of time, money and headaches into this and still have a brand new car with a Check Engine Light.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-29-2014, 01:39 PM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

Location: Detroit area and Nashville area What day is it? Between MI & TN
Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Crap, B&B is my preferred system after having on both BMWs. LOVE the sound.

Sounds like other than the Chevy dealer most of the extra expense has been taken car of, however, you have a lot of anguish and running around in support of all of this to get resolved. Seems like a lot of effort to get it straightened out.

Sorry to hear about it. Hoping you get a resolution for you and the rest of us looking forward to a B&B system.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:50 PM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Received 803 Likes on 163 Posts

I have a new B&B PRT system being installed on my non-npp Stingray right now! It is at the dealer as I write this!

I hope I do not have these issues!
Old 07-29-2014, 01:57 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

another reason to stick with Corsa
Old 07-29-2014, 01:59 PM
TVOT
5th Gear

.....Good Luck!!! It's a great system.Sound is fantastic and Speedway Tips are really cool. Check Engine Light....NOT SOO MUCH !!
Old 07-29-2014, 02:32 PM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I have about 300 miles on my bullets and no issues so far.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:38 PM
GZire
Le Mans Master

OP - I'd suggest letting B&B know that you are taking their system off and want a refund w/costs for your shop.

On your side of things I'd suggest putting everything back to stock and making sure everything is working OK with a stock setup.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:43 PM
TVOT
5th Gear

B & B had been great with everything until they sent last system.Now that the problem is still occurring they said there is nothing else they can do.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:55 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,913 Likes on 1,358 Posts

This is the problem with the aftermarket. Most suppliers have no tolerancing, and no quality control. I would be surprised if they even have full engineering drawings. I ran into this with another vendor years back. There were no two pipes the same. I think I went through four sets, and cherry picked ones I could shim to fit. Even bigger companies like Walker will ship stuff to the aftermarket that they would not dare ship to an OEM. I gave up on aftermarket exhaust systems after those experiences.

Michael

Last edited by Michael A; 07-29-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:10 PM
SCorvette08
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
This is the problem with the aftermarket. Most suppliers have no tolerancing, and no quality control. I would be surprised if they even have full engineering drawings. I ran into this with another vendor years back. There were no two pipes the same. I think I went through four sets, and cherry picked ones I could shim to fit. Even bigger companies like Walker will ship stuff to the aftermarket that they would not dare ship to an OEM. I gave up on aftermarket exhaust systems after those experiences.

Michael
same hear, I had kooks on my c6 and it hit the diff and kooks was going to have to make a special bend because no one could shim or align to correct it this time on my C7 i went stock npp and just be happy
Old 07-29-2014, 03:19 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I had no idea that putting aftermarket on non NPP there would be A problem.
I guess whoever I purchase the B&B from I'm going A have to make them guarantee the pipes and the labor. Thanks TVOT for letting us know.
Let us know how you finally make out.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:30 PM
level6
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GZire's above comment about putting everything back to stock sounds like the most viable solution at this point. What a terrible expense to go through though.

It does sound like the problem with throwing codes is coming from the AFM exhaust valves located before the mufflers? And these valves came with the BB aftermarket system? Are they different valves than stock, that are BB's own design?

Corsa's solution to these valves seems to be to just leave them in place and cut the pipe after the valves, but before the mufflers to install their system.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:34 PM
killascrimp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C7Jake
another reason to stick with Corsa
or you can get NPP off a used car, that's a lot of stress, get your money back.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:37 PM
Bryan Wharton
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Best of Both Worlds

I would love to have those speedway tips on my NPP standard system. Is there a way?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:12 PM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 93 Posts

I was very happy with the Borla S-type II on my C6, so my intention was to install the same on my non-NPP C7. Unfortunately, Borla doesn't have the S-type II for the C7 yet. At least 2 months away, according to the Borla rep I spoke to this morning.

So my next choice was gonna be the B&B PRT until I read this post. So far, no happy ending (sorry) but I'm hoping to hear of a successful resolution soon.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:13 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Michael A

Michael
I feel badly for the OP also. But I do think w. today's cars and the relatively cramped designs, there are drawings made. It's just that the execution is not so precise unless they are CNC machined tubes and that doesn't happen (like it does for some expensive wheels). I don't know how much more tolerance the OP has but there's always Borla and Corsa to try out altho they may not be as loud or as controllable as the B&B. Then again, the B&B that OP has is not exactly giving a good report of itself so loudness or controllability is somewhat irrelevant.

As posted by others, I'd try and get back the cost(s) for yourself and your installer. The installer has surely gone the extra mile and even tho they may not be a vendor here, you could at least mention the name of the shop because they deserve kudos imo.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:19 PM
jiperri
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I was thinking of buying the BB but instead bought the Borla ATAK and they work great. So glad I did.

Get notified of new replies

To BEWARE of B&B Exhaust PROBLEMS!!!

Old 07-29-2014, 09:15 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

You have my sympathy. The problem as I see it is that when you start modifying you become your own development engineer. As others have noted above, even the best aftermarket supplier doesn't have the engineering and testing resources of a company such as GM. I don't know any GM engineers currently, but I do know some from Chrysler, and the level of subtlety and knowledge and attention to detail that they bring to product development is pretty amazing.

I used to do simple mods on my own when younger to most cars that I owned. (You haven't lived until you have installed an aftermarket cruise control system into a manual transmission 1979 Dodge Omni, my first little project ever. It took months to make it work even close to acceptably, and any big bump would still make it kick off.)

Problem was, I always did one mod too many. That is, I always kept doing things until I did one that just could not be made to work properly. (Computer control on current vehicles has probably made this even worse, as witness your repeated codes.)

Now, I wouldn't even PlastiDip an emblem.

Good luck, and again, you have my sympathy.

Last edited by fsvoboda; 07-29-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:46 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I think one problem is that B&B seemed liked they rushed to get their systems out, months before any other manufacturer.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:12 PM
nygsvert
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, thanks for the heads up. Prior to reading your post I ordered the B&B Fusion exhaust earlier today that works with my c7's dual mode factory setup. I'm considering canceling the order ASAP but please be honest here, did you do headers & cats as well or any other mods that may have contributed to your troubles.
Please state all the facts so everyone can make a fair assessment as to wether or not they want to partake in a B&B exhaust system for their c7. Thanks

Quick Reply: BEWARE of B&B Exhaust PROBLEMS!!!