Sponsored by:

Key fob issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:33 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

Default Key fob issue?

My car has always started fine with the main key fob that was supplied. The second one had never been used and was in a drawer. Over the weekend I planned to use the car for a couple of errands and when it wasn't in the usual spot I remembered the 'main' fob was still in the shorts I had worn at Car Craft the following Sunday. Rather than go through the laundry basket (no it hadn't gone through the wash) I just grabbed the second fob and drove off. When I returned I retrieved the original fob and later wanted to back the car out for some detailing. I got a "no fob detected" message.
I was able to start it by inserting the fob into the slot by the steering wheel but that's the only way it will start now using that fob. Does it need to be reprogrammed or something? My car is an early one (#307) built in late August so the fobs are almost a year old-maybe a bad battery? Any suggestions before I bring it to the dealer?
Old 07-28-2014, 09:38 PM
SevenTurns
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by trivette
My car has always started fine with the main key fob that was supplied. The second one had never been used and was in a drawer. Over the weekend I planned to use the car for a couple of errands and when it wasn't in the usual spot I remembered the 'main' fob was still in the shorts I had worn at Car Craft the following Sunday. Rather than go through the laundry basket (no it hadn't gone through the wash) I just grabbed the second fob and drove off. When I returned I retrieved the original fob and later wanted to back the car out for some detailing. I got a "no fob detected" message.
I was able to start it by inserting the fob into the slot by the steering wheel but that's the only way it will start now using that fob. Does it need to be reprogrammed or something? My car is an early one (#307) built in late August so the fobs are almost a year old-maybe a bad battery? Any suggestions before I bring it to the dealer?

New battery. Almost impossible for a fob to become un-programmed.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:38 PM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Very likely needs a new battery, based on my experience with same system on my C6.

Thanks for the reminder to see if my second fob on my C7, now at least 10 months old, still works!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:06 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

I would guess new battery. But that seems odd that less then a year and it already needs replaced. I have have had a key fob for almost 5 years and never replaced the battery.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:08 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I wasn't able to find one of my fobs for months now.

Washing some laundry this weekend I hear this banging coming from the dryer... yup, key was in a pair of shorts pocket and went through the wash. Still works.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:26 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

I've had some fobs last 3-4 years as well. Not sure why the big discrepancy. I try to keep them away from other fobs, as that supposedly can drain them(?). The single fob like the C7 lends itself to get forgotten in pockets more than earlier ones that you would likely have other keys attached to and notice that something's missing right away.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:52 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

"I try to keep them away from other fobs, as that supposedly can drain them(?)."

If you suspect your fobs are talking to each other, you could always wrap them with some tin foil left over from making your hat.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:36 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by WelderGuy
"I try to keep them away from other fobs, as that supposedly can drain them(?)."

If you suspect your fobs are talking to each other, you could always wrap them with some tin foil left over from making your hat.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:53 AM
PUGPROUD
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

My fob always unlocks doors and starts car but every now and then will not unlock/pop the trunk on my vert ? Don't know why...anyone else experience this ?
Old 07-29-2014, 03:59 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

I brought the fob with me today and stopped at Batteries + to have it checked. The battery was definitely dead, and when they replaced it and tested there is a constant 'signal' being sent by the fob. My car was 12 miles away in the garage. The guy said some newer fobs are constantly in this 'seek' mode. (I haven't a clue if that is correct or not.) I'll try it tonight and at least see if it now starts the car. I have an appt. on Saturday at the dealer for my initial oil change and I'll bring both fobs with to see if they have any ideas. (I know the fob battery was probably under warranty but my selling dealer is 25 miles away and I would rather spend the $4.75 for a battery than in gas to go there and back during rush hour).
Old 07-29-2014, 04:25 PM
SevenTurns
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Proximity remotes emmit a signal, when you're close enough the door can be unlocked and the vehicle started. Battries should usually last 2+ years unless exposed to extreme heat or cold.

Good idea to keep the remotes away from the car when not being used.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:32 PM
1stTimeforEverything
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Motohead279
I wasn't able to find one of my fobs for months now.

Washing some laundry this weekend I hear this banging coming from the dryer... yup, key was in a pair of shorts pocket and went through the wash. Still works.
Nothing like keeping your fob clean.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:32 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by SevenTurns
Proximity remotes emmit a signal, when you're close enough the door can be unlocked and the vehicle started. Battries should usually last 2+ years unless exposed to extreme heat or cold.

Good idea to keep the remotes away from the car when not being used.
Not true at all.

The FOBS don't transmit anything unless specifically polled by the vehicle first. And the vehicle doesn't poll them unless a) a door is to be opened b) the hatch is to be opened or c) the Ignition/ACC button is pressed
Old 07-29-2014, 10:24 PM
SevenTurns
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Not true at all.

The FOBS don't transmit anything unless specifically polled by the vehicle first. And the vehicle doesn't poll them unless a) a door is to be opened b) the hatch is to be opened or c) the Ignition/ACC button is pressed
Didn't say they emit a constant signal. You're the expert here. My bad.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:13 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Not true at all.

It's my understanding that those functions are carried out by a radio frequency device in the fob that doesn't use any power from the battery in the fob. That's why the fob has to be so close to the car to open the doors/hatch or start the engine with the push-button in the car.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:56 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

I try to keep them away from other fobs, as that supposedly can drain them(?).
Uhhhhh no.....
Old 07-30-2014, 09:27 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

It's my understanding that those functions are carried out by a radio frequency device in the fob that doesn't use any power from the battery in the fob. That's why the fob has to be so close to the car to open the doors/hatch or start the engine with the push-button in the car.
Not really. When you do something to the car where it verifies the RKE, the RKE transmits a signal to prove validity. If your RKE battery dies, you can place the RKE in the steering wheel column slot where the car can communicate with the RKE and allow you to start the car (presumably to go get a new RKE battery installed).

Elmer

Get notified of new replies

To Key fob issue?

Old 07-30-2014, 11:00 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

If that were true, you should be able to remove the battery from the FOB and it should still work when polled, right?

In reality, the FOB does indeed transmit (using the battery) whenever a button on it is pushed or when polled by the vehicle. Also, the FOB's transmitter has a range of 167 feet (this is in the manual, on Page 2-3).

As for the limited range when opening the doors/hatch or starting, that most likely has to do with the FOB being able to receive the signal from the car before replying to the poll, which is deliberately limited by design.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:06 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

You can try a new battery to see if the problem goes away. If not, your rinse cycle might have rinsed out the electron flow in your RKE and you make need a new RKE.

Elmer
Old 07-30-2014, 01:07 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

The system is designed so you can get into the car even if the battery in the fob is completely dead. When you touch the button on the door, the car sends out a signal to see if the fob is nearby. The radio waves in that signal induce a small current in part of the radio frequency device so that it can transmit a reply (I'm here.) without using any power from the fob battery (It's dead.), and the car door opens.

The radio frequency device is much like the security tags they put on high-dollar merchandise that set off an alarm at the store exit. They have no battery, and they only work for short distances because the signal they put out is very weak.

If the fob battery was needed to open the door, you'd have to get it replaced before you could even get into the car, and that could be an unacceptable inconvenience to most people.

Quick Reply: Key fob issue?