Sponsored by:

Conversation with Michelin

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 05:48 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Conversation with Michelin

I’d called Michelin recently to talk about replacement tires for my Pontiac G8GT, spurred on to a significant degree by the several threads about cold weather operations with the C7s OEM tires.

Female who took the call was clueless, knew very little, seemed like she was reading from a script. Asked for a supervisor who called a couple days later.

The supervisor’s comments were that the all season tire would be optimum at 40-70 degrees and that the summer only would work 40 and up. She further said that while it wasn’t a company policy, she felt that I would be best served by summer tires here in the San Antonio TX area. We get frequent lows at night in the high 20s but the sun usually warms it up quickly.

For your edification. Don
Old 07-28-2014, 06:18 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I'm really not sure what some people expect from them. Or from any other tire manufacturer. They're a business. To make a profit. Different tires for a C7 is a very limited market right now, and probably a losing proposition for them. If the demand was high enough for them to sell enough to make a profit they'd be doing it now. Expecting any tire manufacturer to make tires and lose money is beyond unreasonable.

Most C7 owners won't drive their car in cold, slippery conditions anyway, so how many would really buy all season tires?
Old 07-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Bigdog9586
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
I'm really not sure what some people expect from them. Or from any other tire manufacturer. They're a business. To make a profit. Different tires for a C7 is a very limited market right now, and probably a losing proposition for them. If the demand was high enough for them to sell enough to make a profit they'd be doing it now. Expecting any tire manufacturer to make tires and lose money is beyond unreasonable.

Most C7 owners won't drive their car in cold, slippery conditions anyway, so how many would really buy all season tires?
Me and I did. Very happy with my run flat all season Michelins . I have posted a few posts on them including sound a 4.4 zero to 60 at 5 degrees outside.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:30 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

I was looking for tires for the G8GT so that I would have a car with better cold weather performance than the C7. Don
Old 07-28-2014, 07:36 PM
DocGuy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Bigdog9586
Me and I did. Very happy with my run flat all season Michelins . I have posted a few posts on them including sound a 4.4 zero to 60 at 5 degrees outside.
Give details, I plan to do the same, summer time and all other seasons time...

Model number? Z51 rims?

Thanks, Dave!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:34 PM
stvaughn
Racer

St. Jude Donor '15

I will. Need 'em for a Z-51. Year 'round driver, temps in the teens. Need 'em before winter sets in. And yes, I think they might just make them at no profit. Michelin's on my super-car makes me want Michelin's on my wife's car and on my truck and on my whatever else I may buy. Win, win for all concerned. Lose a little here and make a lot there. That's good business too.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:05 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I just priced out Blizzaks, 460 bucks each, I just might have to buy 4.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:25 AM
MDPD23
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

So, are there any All Season run flats available for Z51?
Old 07-29-2014, 09:12 AM
Tulsaeasyrider
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

I did. Mounted and balanced on new wheels with new sensors. Will put 'em on car in Dec.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:32 AM
knucklexyz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MDPD23
So, are there any All Season run flats available for Z51?
Same question. Gonna need something before temps drop here.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:44 AM
Buzzardz_vette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Bigdog9586
You found all season Michelins that are run-flat (ZP)? Didn't think Michelin was making any yet though they plan to have some soon. What is the model number?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:06 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 07-29-2014, 10:21 AM
entologix
Instructor

Old 07-29-2014, 10:53 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I have found a few All Season tires in Z51/ZF1 sizes but they are non Run Flats. Hopefully one of the major manufactures makes an All Season Run Flat that will fit the Z51/ZF1 Stingray's.

I'm going to drive my Stingray w/ZF1 as I have done for decades. That means in COLD temps. I won't risk driving in ICY, SNOWY or SLUSHY conditions but I see no reason I can't drive a car in COLD temps as long as the roads are clear.

I originally was going to sell my OEM Michelin's and replace them with their AS3's but have decided not to.

Tom
Old 07-30-2014, 05:45 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Talked to Discountiredirect this afternoon regarding tires for my Pontiac G8GT but the answer has relevance I think. The phone guy said he had Cooper Zeon RS-3As, their best AS tire, on a Mustang GT. He feels that although the Michelin A/S 3 would have slightly longer life, that the Cooper has better grip.

Didn’t look to see if the Cooper is available in C7 sizes but nevertheless, this might be of value to some on the forum. Don
Old 07-30-2014, 07:30 PM
PUGPROUD
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

There are currently no AS run flats for Z51 C7's manufactured by any tire company. Like others I need and want them to drive in cold weather. Regarding economics I certainly think the after market volume that will grow year after year as annual Z51 C7's are sold will be profitable...the incremental OEM manufacturing costs are low and the retail prices high.

Get notified of new replies

To Conversation with Michelin

Quick Reply: Conversation with Michelin