C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Move from a 981 or a 991 to a C7, anyone done it yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 12:55 PM
baege
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Move from a 981 or a 991 to a C7, anyone done it yet?

How'd that go for ya?
Old 07-26-2014, 02:01 PM
silky1
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I am not switching, but will have one of each. My wife's fun car is a 981. The handling and the transmission are awesome on that thing. Now I'm just waiting on them to build my '15 z51. Can't wait to compare the electric steering system on each.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:34 PM
Texaggie
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Switch from 911 to C5

Originally Posted by baege
How'd that go for ya?
I bought a new 911 cab in 1995. Loved the car, but it ate a new set of rear tires every 5000 miles. Switched it out for a 1998 Vette and have driven Vettes ever since. The missus currently has a '14 Stingray which she allows me to drive occasionally. All four tires last a good deal longer than they ever did on the 911.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:14 AM
baege
Instructor

If I make the move would I be the first to do it?
Old 08-16-2014, 01:23 PM
Rfong
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 991 vs C7

If I make the move would I be the first to do it?
I have both a 2013 911 Cabriolet and a 2014 Corvette Stingray in my garage and after having both of these cars to choose from for almost a year, I tend to select the C7 to drive almost 80% of the time.

I prefer the C7 for these reasons:

C7 power is superior
C7 suspension is superior, especially on city streets
C7 steering is considerably a better feel. 911 has a dead zone
C7 seats are more supportive and more comfortable
C7 is a better long distance cruiser
C7 gas mileage is better
C7 electronics are light years ahead
C7 holds two sets of golf clubs
C7 has backup camera, none in 911, sad
C7 NNP exhaust is music, 911 is raspy
911 PDK is quicker, but just slightly than A6
911 price was double over C7
Both have orange peel paint to some degree!
On the "thumbs up" meter, C7 gets 10, 911 gets 6
Old 08-16-2014, 03:43 PM
baege
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rfong
I have both a 2013 911 Cabriolet and a 2014 Corvette Stingray in my garage and after having both of these cars to choose from for almost a year, I tend to select the C7 to drive almost 80% of the time.

C7 power is superior
C7 gas mileage is better
Thanks for sharing, having both vehicles gives you a very unique perspective.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:52 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I keep debating trading in my 2010 C2S, the problem is I love the car so much. Honestly one being a little faster really doesn't mean anything to me, the driving I do it won't matter. I like my cars nimble. I do love that the C7 has more Cargo space, but that is offset by the fact several times a year I take my twin 8 year old boys for a drive in the 911, they love it.

Are you debating one or the other or are you thinking of trading in for a C7? The new 981 GTS is a hell of a car, but the C7 is certainly more bang for your buck if that is what you are after.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:03 PM
baege
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carnut12
I keep debating trading in my 2010 C2S, the problem is I love the car so much. Honestly one being a little faster really doesn't mean anything to me, the driving I do it won't matter. I like my cars nimble. I do love that the C7 has more Cargo space, but that is offset by the fact several times a year I take my twin 8 year old boys for a drive in the 911, they love it.

Are you debating one or the other or are you thinking of trading in for a C7? The new 981 GTS is a hell of a car, but the C7 is certainly more bang for your buck if that is what you are after.
I am considering selling the 981 CS and getting a C7 Z51. I was lucky enough to be able to drive a C7 Z51 for a bit and I was pretty impressed with the car. I really enjoy the CS but do wonder if I would enjoy the C7 more. 0-60 doesn't matter to me, but the feel of strong torquey acceleration is pretty fun to me and the C7 seems to offer more of that. I do wonder how much small car feel and nimbleness I'd give up though. So I know exactly what you mean about the prospect of giving up a car you already really enjoy for an unknown...
Old 08-16-2014, 04:31 PM
F7addict
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rfong

C7 power is superior
C7 gas mileage is better
Wow! Awesome. Can't wait for my 15 all the more. Thank you for the post.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:39 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I am considering selling the 981 CS and getting a C7 Z51. I was lucky enough to be able to drive a C7 Z51 for a bit and I was pretty impressed with the car. I really enjoy the CS but do wonder if I would enjoy the C7 more. 0-60 doesn't matter to me, but the feel of strong torquey acceleration is pretty fun to me and the C7 seems to offer more of that. I do wonder how much small car feel and nimbleness I'd give up though. So I know exactly what you mean about the prospect of giving up a car you already really enjoy for an unknown...
I think I had read most of the posters' reviews of the C7 after getting one and I have never read of a person who was unhappy with the C7. Maybe a nit pick here and there but overall everyone and I mean everyone who posted a review raved about the car. There had to be at least 50 reviews and 50 for 50 says something.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:35 AM
mjcourt
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Tough call baege. I have a 981CS and a C6. I'm trading the C6 for a 2015 C7 Z51. I did get to drive the C7 at Spring Mountain track for 3 days. Both cars are great . If you like torque, the C7 has a lot more and it comes on at lower RPM. The 981CS torque doesn't even start to come on until over 4000RPM. But the 981 is a fun car in it's own way. If you can only have one, it would be a tough decision.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:16 AM
baege
Instructor

Originally Posted by mjcourt
Tough call baege. I have a 981CS and a C6. I'm trading the C6 for a 2015 C7 Z51. I did get to drive the C7 at Spring Mountain track for 3 days. Both cars are great . If you like torque, the C7 has a lot more and it comes on at lower RPM. The 981CS torque doesn't even start to come on until over 4000RPM. But the 981 is a fun car in it's own way. If you can only have one, it would be a tough decision.
Thanks for the input. I do love low rpm torque and I find that is a grin inducing quality which you can appreciate in urban driving maybe a little more than nimbleness given the crowded and straight nature of most city roads.
Lately I've been thinking I'll just get the C7 once I bore a bit of the CS (I tend to be a serial cargamist and only keep cars 2-3 years). If you would be kind enough to post your impressions once you've had the C7 for a bit, as to which you prefer as a road car, it'd be much appreciated.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:26 AM
csred58vette
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default C7 vs 991 porsche

Thanks for sharing, having both vehicles gives you a very unique perspective.
I also have both cars and I agree with every point. I drive the C7 most of the time.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:42 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

I just dont see the appeal of the Cayman/Boxster with the C7 in existence. I was actually looking at buying a Cayman S before the C7 was released and got to test drive a couple and was thoroughly impressed by the cars but that was because they had pretty much zero competition in that space. The C6 was long in the tooth at the time and the GT-R just wasnt doing much for me since Nissan kept increasing the price on a dated platform. The C7 release changed all that. The only reason to buy a 981 is if you prefer the look of the little Porsche and cant afford the 991. The fact that the fully optioned 981 Cayman S I test drove was over $90k also made the decision much easier.

The decision between the 991 and the C7 gets a little stickier. For me it's an easy choice but thats because the only 991 body style I like belongs to the GT3 and that costs twice as much as the C7 I want to order. If money wasnt an issue I'd have both, but I am not rich. I did enjoy the C4S I test drove but the price was basically the same as the GT3 which is just a stupid price structure and in the end I think Porsche will end up having to figure out a way to remain relevant in a world where you can buy a car that is half as much as a 991 with all the necessary options, but stomps the Porsche in pretty much every measureable metric except for personal taste. The Z06 is going to make things even harder for Porsche.

Just my two cents as I have never owned a P car, but having considered both and test driven more than a few the justification for the price is just tough to swallow.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:27 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Supermassive
I just dont see the appeal of the Cayman/Boxster with the C7 in existence. I was actually looking at buying a Cayman S before the C7 was released and got to test drive a couple and was thoroughly impressed by the cars but that was because they had pretty much zero competition in that space. The C6 was long in the tooth at the time and the GT-R just wasnt doing much for me since Nissan kept increasing the price on a dated platform. The C7 release changed all that. The only reason to buy a 981 is if you prefer the look of the little Porsche and cant afford the 991. The fact that the fully optioned 981 Cayman S I test drove was over $90k also made the decision much easier.

The decision between the 991 and the C7 gets a little stickier. For me it's an easy choice but thats because the only 991 body style I like belongs to the GT3 and that costs twice as much as the C7 I want to order. If money wasnt an issue I'd have both, but I am not rich. I did enjoy the C4S I test drove but the price was basically the same as the GT3 which is just a stupid price structure and in the end I think Porsche will end up having to figure out a way to remain relevant in a world where you can buy a car that is half as much as a 991 with all the necessary options, but stomps the Porsche in pretty much every measureable metric except for personal taste. The Z06 is going to make things even harder for Porsche.

Just my two cents as I have never owned a P car, but having considered both and test driven more than a few the justification for the price is just tough to swallow.
Porsche is having record breaking years so GM is not making anything harder for Porsche, as much as C7 fans want to think they are, it just is not the case.

The 981 is a sick car, if you live in an area with a lot of winding roads (New England) it can be a lot more fun than a more powerful car like a C7 or even a GT500. 99.9% of people do not track, real world driving is much different and it changes based on where you live. I would take a Nimble car over a car just meant for straight line speed all day long. Straight line speed gets old fast and on public roads you can not even use it 99% of the time.

I agree Porsche is overpriced for what you get, but as long as they keep selling why would they change the price. On the flip side you could say they are under priced compared to the Italian cars. You say you have never owned a Porsche, when or if you do you will understand a little more. A 10-15 year old Porsche doesn't fall apart like most american cars, if taken care of it is rock solid. Porsche has no intention of being a Mass producer like GM, you pay more for exclusivity.

Last edited by Carnut12; 08-17-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:33 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Loving the genteel discussion C7 vs P cars. Won't last long though. The P car haters will be along shortly. Until then, keep up the great discussion. (Don't have a C7 so can't offer a comparison.)
Old 08-17-2014, 03:20 PM
2014C7
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Porsches are great. My solution was a 996 cab for my beater and a new C7.
Best of both worlds.
The surprising thing for me when I got my C7 and parked it next to 996 is that they are roughly the same size. The Vette is wider but feels longer when you are driving it. It is about the same size on the outside though.
Like them both. The Vette is my favorite however, hands down. I have owned a ton of cars and the C7 takes the cake.

Get notified of new replies

To Move from a 981 or a 991 to a C7, anyone done it yet?

Old 08-17-2014, 03:27 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2014C7
Porsches are great. My solution was a 996 cab for my beater and a new C7.
Best of both worlds.
The surprising thing for me when I got my C7 and parked it next to 996 is that they are roughly the same size. The Vette is wider but feels longer when you are driving it. It is about the same size on the outside though.
Like them both. The Vette is my favorite however, hands down. I have owned a ton of cars and the C7 takes the cake.
It feels longer because of the wheelbase, it is MUCH longer, that along with the extra 5-6 inches width makes a huge difference. That is my greatest fear of buying a C7, I like real world handling over straight line speed. I take turns fast all the time, I rarely floor my cars unless passing.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:29 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Loving the genteel discussion C7 vs P cars. Won't last long though. The P car haters will be along shortly. Until then, keep up the great discussion. (Don't have a C7 so can't offer a comparison.)
Its funny many of the fanboys seldom come around, this forum is getting more mature every month that goes by.

Are you still on the fence as well?
Old 08-17-2014, 03:34 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

serial cargamist
What a thing to say!

Last edited by F4 Phantom; 08-17-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Move from a 981 or a 991 to a C7, anyone done it yet?