C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Constraints - July 24

Old 07-28-2014, 03:35 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The first model year C6 Z51 was on limited constraint for almost the entire model year; it turned out keeping the mix for CAFE was the reason. So that may not be a reason for the C7, but on the other hand, it could very well be!

Laborsmith
Old 07-28-2014, 04:11 PM
foreverfuelie
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Blue4.6l
constraint only affects orders getting accepted by GM (status 2000)

once you are at and past status 2000, you are fine and constraints should not affect your car.
Thanks Al Blue and Laborsmith, that is the information I needed. I had in my mind that the order had been accepted and then production halted. To know that my dealer would have that knowledge prior to my order reaching the 2000 status is very helpful. Makes the incentive to go with at least the top three dealers, if you want any of the "ify" stuff.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:27 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

need to get their **** together on carbon fiber parts, cant believe still a wait for dual roof option
Old 07-29-2014, 10:37 AM
Heidemarie
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Z51 constraint

Originally Posted by laborsmith
Two possibilities: the first is the Z51 has several elements each of which at different times may have been in short supply.

The second, the gearing for the Z51 likely means not as good fuel mileage as the non-Z51 and GM needs a certain mix for CAFE.

Laborsmith

3000 means your order will be produced. Constraint is what keeps orders from advancing past 1100.
Thanks Laborsmith; AlBlue4.61and MJW930
Best answers ever; finally understand issue with constraints; great to have such knowlegeable people on the forum. Looking forward to my 15 Vert. Can't wait to trade in my C6.
Heidemarie
Old 07-30-2014, 02:12 PM
ProjectFusion
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fdxpilot

Also realize that a small dealer may only get 1 car allocated per month, assuming his yearly allotment is 12 cars or less. Therefore, any order with a constraint will have a tough time getting filled, while one of the mega-vette dealers might get 80-100 cars in the period, making much easier to get cars with constrained items.
This right here is the biggest ******** allowed honestly. I've been working with local dealerships b/c I like working in my local community and I'm over a year now b/c his allocation is small. Shame on Chevy. Even had to switch to a 2015 b/c Chevy never accepted the order after being put in last Sept.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:15 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I think it's sad that Z51 is still constrained--what they've only had a year to get enough ordered. Bizarre.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:49 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Not bizarre. The Corvette is CAFE certified for the manual and for the automatic transmissions and if too many Z51s are produced the certification will need to be either adjusted or redone.

Laborsmith
Old 07-30-2014, 02:57 PM
onyx_z71
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
need to get their **** together on carbon fiber parts, cant believe still a wait for dual roof option
I think GM can't even get enough roofs to make the amount of coupes that dealers want. IMO, that's why dealers have so many convertibles sitting unsold on their lots.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:18 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by onyx_z71
I think GM can't even get enough roofs to make the amount of coupes that dealers want. IMO, that's why dealers have so many convertibles sitting unsold on their lots.
True that.

Seems like a magnesium aluminum roof would work well now that Chevy has figured out how to build one that will not fall apart.

CF is good and the weight saving can be significant, but it is tricky to do and each part has to be individually done. Add in the complication of needing to be waterproof after being removed and returned to position numerous times and we have what we have: inexplicable constraints and a clear over production of converts.

And I am not anti converts. I have had them in the past and I have a 1969 Corvair convert in my garage right now.

Laborsmith
Old 07-30-2014, 04:34 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by ProjectFusion
This right here is the biggest ******** allowed honestly. I've been working with local dealerships b/c I like working in my local community and I'm over a year now b/c his allocation is small. Shame on Chevy. Even had to switch to a 2015 b/c Chevy never accepted the order after being put in last Sept.
It sounds like someone is in for a disappointment for 2015 as well
Old 07-30-2014, 04:48 PM
Woody
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
First St Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by ProjectFusion
I doubt that will change in the 15 model year either. I applaud your local support, but if you want to get into a new car this year, I'd find another dealer. GLWP.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:10 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

ProjectFusion, if your dealer had allocations for the Corvette vehicle line during the 2014 model year, and if your dealer is meeting the three minimum requirements to be able to use allocations for this model year, you should be ok. But if your dealer did not deliver a C& Corvette in the just ending model year, their likelihood of getting one for the coming model year is close to nil.

As for timing, if your dealer was able to get say three C7s, one in November, one in March and one in June, those are the months he will most likely get C7s in the coming model year. Most likely as a general time frame not as a hard fact.

With this info you are better able to make an informed decision. I think it is good if people decide to stay with their smaller local dealer but better if that decision is based on info not on hopes and dreams.

Laborsmith
Old 07-30-2014, 06:31 PM
TKay
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

My constraint is the painted roof. I agreed to the smoke roof. My question is this, if the painted roof becomes available before my car is built, will I get that roof then, or because I agreed to the other roof, will they just build it that way?
Old 07-30-2014, 06:45 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

If you are at 3000, possible with dealer carrying the yeomans load. Once past 3000, no. There is an exception to prove the rule; one exception I am aware of in the course o several years of trying to understand the ordering process.

Becoming available to allow an order to advance past 1100 is not the same as becoming available because the part is on hand. And now that I think about it, the one exception I can recall was not an option added that had originally been on constraint but was a free flow option being added that was available without constraint when the order was originally entered and accepted.

So the answer appears to be "no."

Laborsmith

Last edited by laborsmith; 07-30-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:12 PM
Al Blue4.6l
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TKay
My constraint is the painted roof. I agreed to the smoke roof. My question is this, if the painted roof becomes available before my car is built, will I get that roof then, or because I agreed to the other roof, will they just build it that way?
it is going to be built with the roof you agreed to, not the painted roof unless the dealer can manage to change it before it hits 3000 (highly unlikely).
Old 08-02-2014, 03:52 PM
doug doo wop
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
RPO....Description...................... ..........Availability
FAY....Carbon Fiber Dash..............................40%
Z51....Performance Package............................55%
C2Q....Dual Roof Package (Body Color and Transparent)..0%
C2Z....Visible Carbon Fiber Roof......................20%
C2M....Dual Roof Package (Visible CF and Transparent)..0%
G1H....Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic.................0%
EFY....Body Color Vents................................0%
CFZ....Carbon Fiber Ground Effects Package.............0%
SDN....Black/Silver Stem Valve Package.................0%
CFA....Standard roof (painted)........................35%
QCC....Black Machined Wheels...........................0%
E57....Carbon Fiber Tonneau Inserts....................0%

As member Woody pointed out, these are for build week of 8-25
so if I ordered the dual roof(painted and transparent) and it's on constraint, can't they still produce the car and send the other roof to the dealer when it is available, instead of holding up the production of the car?
Old 08-02-2014, 03:53 PM
doug doo wop
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

any constraints for the first week, 8-11?

Get notified of new replies

To Constraints - July 24

Old 08-02-2014, 03:55 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by doug doo wop
so if I ordered the dual roof(painted and transparent) and it's on constraint, can't they still produce the car and send the other roof to the dealer when it is available, instead of holding up the production of the car?
Uh no. Car will not get produced.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Those constraints are pathetic....So much for the 2015 buyers anxiously awaiting their cars with the new options. Heck, even the painted (standard) roof is hard to come by. Seems there will be a LOT of Transparent roofs on the market in a few months..
Old 08-02-2014, 04:48 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by doug doo wop
An often asked question and ATX is correct.

To CCS: how about relaying a suggestion that GM consider a magnesium targa roof?

Laborsmith

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Constraints - July 24