Stuff behind the seats in the C7

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 05:04 AM
ColJack
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuff behind the seats in the C7

I just took delivery at the museum of my dream car, Convertible, black top, torch red, adrenalin red interior, power exhaust, 5 spoke Crome wheels, corvette logo end caps. When the museum tech was doing the car hand off delivery briefing he told me that. I could not put any thing at all hind the seats" . I have had dual 6 way power seats in my C3, C4, C5 and C6 and I always put stuff like a umbrella,a, my wife's purse, a coffee thermos,briefcase ect. behind the seat. The museum tech staid the C7 had sensors behind the seats and that if it sensed any object behind the seat the seats would lock up and I would have to take it to the dealer to get it reset before the seats would adjust again. Is this true. Did Chevy put a seat ****'s behind the seat to blow of the seat controls if we so dared to not comply with the nazzi Gestapo rules and sensor settings.

I never had a problem any of my older corvettes. Is this really true?
Old 07-25-2014, 05:14 AM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 93 Posts

I don't know if that's true or not, but the first thing you should do is check the owners manual to see if it says anything like that.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:05 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Maybe he's talking about this from the owner's manual:

"Seat Travel Limit
If a seat is moved all the way to the rear and/or the seatback is reclined so that it makes contact with the carpet, all rearward seat movement will stop. Normal operation of the
seat will resume when the seatback is no longer in contact with the carpet. This is normal."

But it's not as bad as he made it sound.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:03 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I normally run my seat all the way back anyway, so there is no room for storage behind it anyway. I seldom need to use the seat controls so I played with them all while cruising last night. I had that seat dancing all over the place. Everything worked great. BTW, I love the seat ventilation feature.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:15 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Joy
BTW, I love the seat ventilation feature.
Yup, clears out the "puffs" real quick!
Old 07-25-2014, 07:33 AM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ColJack
I just took delivery at the museum of my dream car, Convertible, black top, torch red, adrenalin red interior, power exhaust, 5 spoke Crome wheels, corvette logo end caps. When the museum tech was doing the car hand off delivery briefing he told me that. I could not put any thing at all hind the seats" . I have had dual 6 way power seats in my C3, C4, C5 and C6 and I always put stuff like a umbrella,a, my wife's purse, a coffee thermos,briefcase ect. behind the seat. The museum tech staid the C7 had sensors behind the seats and that if it sensed any object behind the seat the seats would lock up and I would have to take it to the dealer to get it reset before the seats would adjust again. Is this true. Did Chevy put a seat ****'s behind the seat to blow of the seat controls if we so dared to not comply with the nazzi Gestapo rules and sensor settings.

Take a look at one of the partition's offered on line for the C7, offers a place to put your stuff without actually sticking it behind the seat. If you go to exoticvette.com they have a neat set up that looks OEM. Gives you like a shelf behind the seats that a lot of members who have owned them in previous versions for the C6 etc.. recommend.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:41 AM
CROOPS34
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C7DriverOnt
Take a look at one of the partition's offered on line for the C7, offers a place to put your stuff without actually sticking it behind the seat. If you go to exoticvette.com they have a neat set up that looks OEM. Gives you like a shelf behind the seats that a lot of members who have owned them in previous versions for the C6 etc.. recommend.
Looks like the OP took delivery of a vert and those partitions are for coupes... I'd be interested if not putting ANYTHING behind the seats in a vert is important as well for future refrence once I take delivery of mine.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:54 AM
Irecycleit
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

We had the same problem when we took delivery of our vert in June. The passenger seat would not move back only forward. When we took it back in the dealer told us about the sensors under the carpet and that they had to pull up the carpet and reset the sensors. We have not had an issue since. But I can't put anything behind the seat or it will not move backward. When I take the obstacle out it moves to max position. Really does limit storage in the vert a little more.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:56 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Pictures...worthless without pictures...
Old 07-25-2014, 08:04 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

No, this is not true, at least not entirely. There isn't much, if any room behind the seats on a C7 and the area was not designed to store anything. There is a limit switch embedded in the bulkhead behind the seat that if tripped will prevent any further rearward motion and disable one touch or automatic seat memory but the seat will move forward by manually using the seat control or holding down a seat memory button (assuming that would move the seat forward). Once the limit switch is no longer engaged the seat motion logic returns to normal. There is NO dealer service required (where do they come up with this stuff???).
Old 07-25-2014, 09:47 AM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

I took my C6 "behind the seat storage pouch" out before I traded it in for my C7 vert, are you stating that the pouch cannot be used in the C7?

Old 07-25-2014, 10:07 AM
Power Cruiser
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Seat

There is a fail safe switch in the seat back that prevents you from damaging the back of the seat as well as any item stored behind the seat. If you setup your seat to stop before striking any item stored behind it should be O.K. and retain your settings. If it strikes any item it locks up and you have to move the seat forward using the switch on the side of the seat and then using your seat setting switch it will function normally until it senses something at the rear of the seat back.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:33 AM
Mr Snappy!
Melting Slicks

Received 589 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by harry2
I took my C6 "behind the seat storage pouch" out before I traded it in for my C7 vert, are you stating that the pouch cannot be used in the C7?

Here's the issue.
It has been discussed before, but the C7 passenger compartment IS tighter than the C6...in all directions. I have adapted to it, but only by moving the seats all the way back and going through countless tilt, back, thigh, and lumbar configurations. The passenger seat is the same thing. For most of my passengers to be comfy, including my 5'5" wife, the seat must be ALL the way back.

On the C7, it seams they realized it was tigh and they made the travel of the seat back extend so they literally sit up against the cabin devider.

To tell you how tight this is, I have a velcro pouch that I use for change and I store it behind the passenger seat. The pouch does not drop to the floor, it literally stays where I first place it near the headrest without moving an inch.

You might be able to use those pouches, but only if you really move the seats up and don't use the tilt.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:30 PM
c5eddiem
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjw930
...There is a limit switch embedded in the bulkhead behind the seat that if tripped will prevent any further rearward motion and disable one touch or automatic seat memory but the seat will move forward by manually using the seat control or holding down a seat memory button (assuming that would move the seat forward). Once the limit switch is no longer engaged the seat motion logic returns to normal. There is NO dealer service required (where do they come up with this stuff???).
I continue to be amazed by the fact that they do not offer a front curb sensor because it would weigh too much, but they needed to put a switch in to figure out when the seat is too far back!

Not sure how all the other cars on the road with power seats manage to work without travel limit sensors????

Ed
Old 07-25-2014, 07:52 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by c5eddiem
I continue to be amazed by the fact that they do not offer a front curb sensor because it would weigh too much, but they needed to put a switch in to figure out when the seat is too far back!

Not sure how all the other cars on the road with power seats manage to work without travel limit sensors????

Ed
Maybe because almost no other car, other than other two seat sports cars, has a bulkhead right behind the seat, or like the C6, simply limit the seat travel well short of the bulkhead, so it's not a factor.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:56 PM
mcslim
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My old C6 "storage pouch" works fine with registrations, owner's manual and maps in my C7 coupe. Passenger seat all the way back and down low. Close to, but NOT fully reclined seat back. Never thought it to be a problem. Not permanently mounted as the "flap" that holds it in place is not as easy to get under carpet/floor edge as was in the C6. Works fine just tucked under the LLoyd's Luxe rear mat for location aand security.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:10 PM
Old Yellow
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

EXTRA - EXTRA - READ ALL ABOUT IT

Right here.

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=3083

Ed

Get notified of new replies

To Stuff behind the seats in the C7

Old 07-25-2014, 08:11 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by C7Joy
I normally run my seat all the way back anyway, so there is no room for storage behind it anyway. I seldom need to use the seat controls so I played with them all while cruising last night. I had that seat dancing all over the place. Everything worked great. BTW, I love the seat ventilation feature.
Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan

That's some funny chit right there.....
Old 07-25-2014, 08:13 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
Must keep the other seat open as well!
Old 07-26-2014, 07:55 AM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Just got my registration in the mail yesterday evening for my personal license plate transfer. Went to put it on and realized, I've had the tag behind my drivers seat the whole time. Didn't effect anything. But then, it's not that big.

Quick Reply: Stuff behind the seats in the C7