Sponsored by:

Coupe Removable Top-Much Improved

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Default Coupe Removable Top-Much Improved

A topic I've not seen covered here, perhaps because some have not experienced prior models, or I missed it, is how much better the air flow is with the C7.

With the C5 and C6 I rarely took out the top beyond local driving. Too much noise too much wind buffeting. Some know this but metal loops were sold so you could prop up the rear hatch a few inches to reduce air flow problems. Crazy!!

With the C7 I've enjoyed windows down freeway driving. But this morning with the temps in the low 60s (yea its July in Ohio) I ran the freeway with the windows up top out. Very impressed with that experience too, very quiet!!!

It's the little attention to details like this and pleasant discoveries of the unexpected that make the car a great adventure!!!
Old 07-24-2014, 03:07 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Isn't there a law that requires the windows to be down when driving a coupe with the roof off or a convertible with the top down?
Old 07-24-2014, 03:15 PM
Elite275
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Isn't there a law that requires the windows to be down when driving a coupe with the roof off or a convertible with the top down?
Definitely a crime to have the windows up and top off! Turn on the seat heaters or heat but NEVER roll up the windows!
Old 07-24-2014, 03:17 PM
Al Blue4.6l
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Elite275
Definitely a crime to have the windows up and top off! Turn on the seat heaters or heat but NEVER roll up the windows!
must never have driven a convertible when its in the 40s

(otherwise I agree - windows down!)
Old 07-24-2014, 03:24 PM
ersin
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

When I had a Miata I would have the top down and driver side window down. But the passenger window was up. It made a whole lot of difference when driving on the highway. Much less turbulence that way.

I wouldn't call air flow a minor detail here. I'm sure Chevy worked very hard to get it right as well as have a low drag coefficient and downforce. Good job they did.

Cheers.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:37 PM
c7joe
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have also noticed it. I wonder if it is the so called vent that is suppose to help us close the hatch with the windows up. I doesn't work for that but maybe helps with the buffeting.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
As dorky looking as it probably is... anytime I had the targa off (which was almost always) and got on the interstate, I would raise the windows. Seems that anything over 50mph was just too much air whipping around.

But on our vert, it was never a problem. I think the coupe - with targa off - was causing some kinda vortex'ing (if there is such a word) of the air through the cockpit; didn't experience this wishy-washy air current thingy with the vert.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:50 PM
need4speedmotors
Supporting Vendor

Received 190 Likes on 182 Posts

I tend to keep the top on, on the highway, I never like too much wind in my face.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:28 PM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

I find it really all depends on how hard the wind is blowing and from which direction relative to the car. If the wind is up then so is the top otherwise I get way too much wind noise and buffeting. Although this may not be as noticeable for those that are more average hight....im 6'4".

Get notified of new replies

To Coupe Removable Top-Much Improved

Quick Reply: Coupe Removable Top-Much Improved